The AEW Thread

TheGoon

2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Genuinely do not get the hype or the push for Willow Nightingale. Boring.

Also, “The Learning Tree” 🤦🏻‍♂️

Away, Willow is ace! 

Agree re Jericho though. He's clearly trying to lean in to the stuff folk are saying about him but he simply needs to just f**k off for a lengthy period of time.

4 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Saw Tony making a c**t of himself last night.

Tribalism is bad. Except when Tony is doing it.

Nah, TK has lost it as of late. To use forum vernacular, he's 'rattled'. His comment about WWE being the 'Weinstein' of wrestling is a bit much, even though it was probably fairly accurate for a long period. He needs to calm the f**k down and just concentrate on AEW. They have a ridiculously stacked roster but not enough stories going on for their top wrestlers. Swerve's first appearance since winning the title was woeful and reminded me of when Punk won the WHC and got battered by Regal in his first match on Raw after. Poor.

However, the neck brace during the NFL draft is undeniably funny.

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Nah, TK has lost it as of late. To use forum vernacular, he's 'rattled'. His comment about WWE being the 'Weinstein' of wrestling is a bit much, even though it was probably fairly accurate for a long period. He needs to calm the f**k down and just concentrate on AEW. They have a ridiculously stacked roster but not enough stories going on for their top wrestlers. Swerve's first appearance since winning the title was woeful and reminded me of when Punk won the WHC and got battered by Regal in his first match on Raw after. Poor.

However, the neck brace during the NFL draft is undeniably funny.

Sarcasm doesn't come across well.

I'm talking about everyone from AEW talking about tribalism being bad etc...then Tony makes an appearance such as that last night.

I did love the neck brace, despite him not selling it.

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Away, Willow is ace! 

Agree re Jericho though. He's clearly trying to lean in to the stuff folk are saying about him but he simply needs to just f**k off for a lengthy period of time.

Nah, I find Willow boring, as a character and her matches too. The “Timeless” Toni Storm character has run her course and needs binned now too. 

Mercedes is gonna have to pull something out the bag to light up the women’s division because so far she’s been a complete non-entity and the women’s division seems to have got lost in itself despite having some big names and talent in the women’s ranks. For me, Julia Hart is the only one that’s really provided anything decent for the last few months.

29 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Nah, I find Willow boring, as a character and her matches too. The “Timeless” Toni Storm character has run her course and needs binned now too. 

Mercedes is gonna have to pull something out the bag to light up the women’s division because so far she’s been a complete non-entity and the women’s division seems to have got lost in itself despite having some big names and talent in the women’s ranks. For me, Julia Hart is the only one that’s really provided anything decent for the last few months.

We shall disagree then sir! I think Willow is tremendous and think TTS is also tremendous (took a while but I got on board).

Reckon the TTS turn will be decent and will enjoy her feud with Mariah May and her pal from Stardom who debuted recently.

Presumably Jamie Hayter will be back at some point (hopefully for Wembley) and Britt Baker too.

Still got a pretty deep women's roster when you include Deeb, Stat, Mone, Riho, Skye Blue, Deona Purrazzo, Shida, Julia, Aminata and Thunder Rosa, all of whom are either legitimate challengers for a title or could be. There's a few ladies underneath who could be too.

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

We shall disagree then sir! I think Willow is tremendous and think TTS is also tremendous (took a while but I got on board).

Reckon the TTS turn will be decent and will enjoy her feud with Mariah May and her pal from Stardom who debuted recently.

Presumably Jamie Hayter will be back at some point (hopefully for Wembley) and Britt Baker too.

Still got a pretty deep women's roster when you include Deeb, Stat, Mone, Riho, Skye Blue, Deona Purrazzo, Shida, Julia, Aminata and Thunder Rosa, all of whom are either legitimate challengers for a title or could be. There's a few ladies underneath who could be too.

Yep, packed with that much talent you forgot two of the biggest names of the division in Saraya and Ruby, albeit the latter is now on maternity leave.

Edited by 8MileBU

8 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Yep, packed with that much talent you forgot two of the biggest names of the division in Saraya and Ruby, albeit the latter is now on maternity leave.

Saraya hasn't done much since she won the title. Not sure if she's physically capable of being a regular performers. Her 'knifey-spoony' skit with Harley Cameron was amusing mind.

Yeah didn't include Ruby cos she's going to be away, which is also why I didn't include Tay Melo. Actually reckon they botched Ruby's start. She was way over when she debuted (with an all time theme tune, especially the time Rancid did it live) and they should have got a title on her. Would love it if when she came back she did so with that tune (she's a face again so don't see why not) 

They also have Athena, who could easily slot in as title contender. Billie Starkz has great potential as well. She has a similar likeable charisma to Bayley in her NXT days.

Their womens roster is fantastic, but they still need to be booked a lot better.

I think the theres not much between the women's divisions in WWE and AEW tbh.

Not that makes either of them particularly good.

I do feel that WWE have made more stars such as Ripley and Belair but outside of their top talents you're lucky if anyone else gets more than 5 minutes on any given show.

For TK I'm surprised it's taken this long for him to use his NFL connections for some coverage. Definitely one way he can at least attempt to fight WWE's PR advantage.

I don't know if anyone has listened to this segment from VOW but it really lays out WWE operates when it comes to the media.

3 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

They also have Athena, who could easily slot in as title contender. Billie Starkz has great potential as well. She has a similar likeable charisma to Bayley in her NXT days.

Their womens roster is fantastic, but they still need to be booked a lot better.

Yuka Sakasaki is great shame she got injured against Emi Sakura.

Imagine having the most stacked roster in wrestling, and then still deciding that the best use of what seemed like four hours about twenty minutes of TV time was Chris Jericho laying in heatless chops against Shibata.  Ooft.

Top work from FITE again, managing to hype up an appearance by Kenny Omega then cutting it off after 2 minutes.  Full deal is available, but even if it's a FITE issue and not AEW, still shouldn't be happening.  Assume it's because of Rampage being on after.

Good opening segment with Swerve and I think Christian is a decent choice from a build-up perspective, as he's easily the best heel they've got, but not sure it'll be the best in-ring.  Still, tides things over for another PPV cycle.  Segment took a real left turn at the end though, with Swerve having to sell getting his hair pulled like that, and the crowd chanting "eat it".  Odd.

On the Omega stuff, I know it's me getting all "real to me dammit", but it seemed a bit all over the place.  His diverticulitis is obviously a real thing, and it's fucked with a lot of people in the industry.  They struck the right tone in the seriousness of it.  But then to move towards retirement talk, how blunt force trauma could kill him, and then move to the beatdown clearly not going along those lines....I don't know, it all just feels a bit off.  I assume he's a lot closer to healthy than they're making out, but then going down the serious route too far seems a bit much (work, shoot, brother etc).  Did like FTR's "I really can't be arsed with this" jog down to the ring though.  Top stuff.

Jericho has needed a long break for quite some time, however, he's here and I'm willing to let them run with this on the trust they have a decent payoff. What that will be I have no idea.

As much as I hate the dick, I thought the Jericho match this week was cracking. 

I will also be very sad now if Onada/Omega isn’t the move for Wembley.

If it isn't Okada/Omega at Wembley I'd be disappointed. Kenny must be further along in his recovery than we think if he's taking hits like last night.

Also, I wonder if the Chuck Taylor thing is real or not, no one seems to know.

Given the 8 men involved, Anarchy in the Arena should be spectacular.

Danielson being involved in a feud with the Elite feud leads me to think this might be the beginning of his 'retirement' run. Maybe the Jacksons force him and Eddie to fight each other in a retirement match at Wembley?

Interested to see what Okada will do in a plunder match as just seems completely out of step for him.

Think the Double or Nothing card is shaping up nicely though with them likely having Death Triangle Vs BC Good for the trios titles now as well.