Clyde FC; Season 2022-23

Does anyone know if we’re signing anything this window? Desperately need quality added. 
I wonder if we're waiting for the Goodwillie situation to be resolved.
Goodwillie staying means less money for squad replacements.
Goodwillie going means more to spend on midfield and defence.

2 hours ago, TamClyde said:

Does anyone know if we’re signing anything this window? Desperately need quality added. 

Would be surprised if we signed anyone other than some loans irrespective as to whether DGW stays or goes as anyone you would want will be under contract and we are unlikely to pay a transfer fee

As I said last month, we are only able (or willing) to pick up players who are NOT getting games with their current team.  However that means we can't see them play, so we're "buying" blind.  

That's why we fielded the lad from E Fife on Saturday.  I feel we should be more ambitious and look up rather than down the leagues. 

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

As I said last month, we are only able (or willing) to pick up players who are NOT getting games with their current team.  However that means we can't see them play, so we're "buying" blind.  

That's why we fielded the lad from E Fife on Saturday.  I feel we should be more ambitious and look up rather than down the leagues. 

Do none of these players play in bounce games or friendlies? Do your scouting staff have no contacts or previous knowledge of players?

If they really are buying blind, they need replaced.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

56 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do none of these players play in bounce games or friendlies? Do your scouting staff have no contacts or previous knowledge of players?

If they really are buying blind, they need replaced.

Not so sure teams would generally want to risk THEIR players playing in our bounce matches.

It is our system that's poor rather than the individuals involved IMO.

My understanding from the November meeting is that the team that does the recruitment, presents DL with players and DL says yes or no. 

This system means the recruitment guys are pressured into offering live bodies and DL is pressured to fill empty berths.  Quality is the casualty here.  

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Not so sure teams would generally want to risk THEIR players playing in our bounce matches.

It is our system that's poor rather than the individuals involved IMO.

My understanding from the November meeting is that the team that does the recruitment, presents DL with players and DL says yes or no. 

This system means the recruitment guys are pressured into offering live bodies and DL is pressured to fill empty berths.  Quality is the casualty here.  

They won't play in your bounce games. They'll play for their current club in reserve, friendly games.

Can't say I really agree with this if you read back at Lennon's comments when we signed the players during the summer it does mention that they watched them play, watched videos of them and spoke to the players coaches and managers.

Giving we are doing the "due diligence" as Lennon put it it is frightening how poor the quality of players being identified is. We also increased the budget this season and got a transfer fee for Mitchell so you have to question why we are back looking at players like it is the Duffy years all over again.

The lad from East Fife couldn't even break into one of their worst teams in recent memory. It doesn't exactly bode well for any other targets.

2 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

The lad from East Fife couldn't even break into one of their worst teams in recent memory. It doesn't exactly bode well for any other targets.

The lad from East Fife done really well when he came on, he looked confident, was taken on an opponent and one of his crosses was pure quality and deserved better. I think he is worth another look, there could be many reasons why he never broke into the East Fife team.

5 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

Can't say I really agree with this if you read back at Lennon's comments when we signed the players during the summer it does mention that they watched them play, watched videos of them and spoke to the players coaches and managers.

Giving we are doing the "due diligence" as Lennon put it it is frightening how poor the quality of players being identified is. We also increased the budget this season and got a transfer fee for Mitchell so you have to question why we are back looking at players like it is the Duffy years all over again.

Sorry Jack, are you saying you don't agree with my take or with the process?

DL is a decent coach IMO. He doesn't watch prospective players; Corr and his team do and DL says yes, or no. That is what happened to every signing other than the one who rang DL and asked for a game and the other one who wasn't good enough last season, got emptied, came back and proved he wasn't good enough. 

If any other team in the world wanted to sign Mortimer how could they gather proof.  He's not in the squad, so how would you as a coach, of say Cowdenbeath, logically reach a decision on whether to sign him or not? We don't have a reserve team and not many teams at this level do.

I think my disappointment with the lack of incomings so far is around October time in the midst of a really poor run Lennon made comment about already looking at January, you’d be forgiven for thinking we might’ve been working on a few to get them in early. 

Yeah I have to say it didn’t look like him, I’ve been at all the games this season Vs East Fife n it didn’t look like him 

Think it is him. His name was mentioned on the commentary on Saturday plus Allan mentions an Andrew from East Fife on the post match.

https://www.clydefc.co.uk/media/audio/

Sorry Jack, are you saying you don't agree with my take or with the process?
DL is a decent coach IMO. He doesn't watch prospective players; Corr and his team do and DL says yes, or no. That is what happened to every signing other than the one who rang DL and asked for a game and the other one who wasn't good enough last season, got emptied, came back and proved he wasn't good enough. 
If any other team in the world wanted to sign Mortimer how could they gather proof.  He's not in the squad, so how would you as a coach, of say Cowdenbeath, logically reach a decision on whether to sign him or not? We don't have a reserve team and not many teams at this level do.
I don't agree that we signed these players blind. The only ones you could arguably say that about is Kennedy and Splaine who hadn't played much first team football.

Jones, Gomis etc all played plenty enough for their former teams. It's why plenty of us were alarmed at the signings. I watched Jones play against us several times last season and thought he was rubbish.

Lennon might not be scouting the players but again him and Moore will have seen them play often enough to know what they are about.

As for Mortimer, he's played 13 times for us this season. I'm sure if Cowdenbeath were interested we'd more than happy to give them a copy of the games he played in to try and get him off the wage bill. That's before you add in the 50+ games he's played for Queens Park and Cumbernauld Colts. There would be plenty of footage of Mortimer playing and enough coaches, managers etc that Cowdenbeath could talk to get an informed opinion on him.

If Lennon talks him up as much as he did on the website when he signed then hopefully somebody might be daft enough to sign him.

3 hours ago, macclyde+ said:

Andrew Osei-Bonsu

He was ok, nothing more, put in one decent cross if I remember and a couple of touches, but I’d be very disappointed if we signed him. He is the typical 10 a penny player that rocks up at lower league clubs, makes up the numbers for a couple of teams then disappears.

We need much, much better than that to improve our side.

12 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

He was ok, nothing more, put in one decent cross if I remember and a couple of touches, but I’d be very disappointed if we signed him. He is the typical 10 a penny player that rocks up at lower league clubs, makes up the numbers for a couple of teams then disappears.

We need much, much better than that to improve our side.

I've saw him twice this season and that was twice too much. No thank.you

Edited by shawfield shed boy

I have said before and will say again i dont expect us to sign anyone this window.  Irrespective whether DGW stays or goes.

The board is probably scared to spend any money given they actually have some money to spend for the fear of going back to previous existence of living from month to month and worrying sometimes if they could meet the wage bill.  Also based on DL signing record I probably wouldnt have any confidence in giving him a big budget to spend.

The board are probably crossing their fingers that we can keep hold of DGW for the rest of the season and then hoping to get enough points to finish above EF and Dumbarton.

To improve the team you would be looking at players either playing week in/week out in L1 or players not getting a regular game at championship level.

I cant see us signing any L1 players who are playing week in/week out as they will be under contract and cant see us signing any championship level player not playing.

Who do you think we need?  I would say one or two creative midfielders and a forward to take the weight of DGW.

Three names think off the top of my head

Dylan Easton from Airdrie (no chance of signing)

Joe McKee from Dumbarton (no chance of signing)

Conor Sammon from Alloa (slight chance as he has probably fell out with Bazza)

Other option might be some youngsters on loan from the Premier League but with Celtic and Rangers having Colts teams they are unlikely to loan anyone and generally kid loans tend to be a 1 in 5 success and not what you need where we currently are.