Billy Gilmour

Kuro

4 hours ago, Chripper said:

Closest England have Is Angel Gomes. Yeah... there's a reason United released him. Then Wharton. Both mid-table EPL players.

Isn't Mainoo capable of playing that role?

4 hours ago, Chripper said:

Lobotka looks like a Gilmour clone. The chances of Conte playing both in any meaningful games, without being forced, is slim

Is it fair to say he did that at Scotland?

I don't think Clarke was noted for playing two possession based midfielders in the same team prior to Scotland, but for periods he was a go-to alongside McGregor.

The owness is on Gilmour to find a route into Conte's plans. The manager will play the combination of players likeliest to get a result so players always have that element of control.

He's had to do that everywhere he's been in his career. This is no different.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Isn't Mainoo capable of playing that role?

He isn't really equipped for it. It's why United bought Casemiro and Ugarte and it's why they wasted two preseason tracking Frenkie De Jong.

Mainoo is more of a box to box dynamic player. He's good, but he has much to learn.

Is it fair to say he did that at Scotland?

Definitely fair.

As you say, it's up to Gilmour to make it impossible for Conte to ignore him.

I remember a few years ago Anguissa was at Fulham. He was OK.

I wouldn't be shocked if Gilmour wasn't first choice by the end of the season. It's not like he's trying to dislodge Pirlo.

Just needs time to acclimatise to the surroundings.

Edited by Chripper

The owness is on Gilmour to find a route into Conte's plans. The manager will play the combination of players likeliest to get a result so players always have that element of control.

He's had to do that everywhere he's been in his career. This is no different.

Hopefully Conte doesn't read through the previous 200 odd pages and pick up on Gilmour's numerous deficiencies (including his defensive play) that you were able to identify. 

10 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Citing Gilmour as having a weakness is churlish.

He's an elite player.

His only weakness, if you can call it that, is his shooting.

I’m not even sure it’s a problem. His shooting is generally pretty good - it’s just that his shots are low xG from outside the area by the nature of where he plays.

Pirlo (discounting penalties and free kicks), Busquets, and Makelele have almost non-existent scoring records, and they all played for some of the most dominant sides in recent history.

That Gilmour doesn’t have many goals speaks more of his position than his ability.

6 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I’m not even sure it’s a problem. His shooting is generally pretty good - it’s just that his shots are low xG from outside the area by the nature of where he plays.

Pirlo (discounting penalties and free kicks), Busquets, and Makelele have almost non-existent scoring records, and they all played for some of the most dominant sides in recent history.

That Gilmour doesn’t have many goals speaks more of his position than his ability.

Agreed.

It's like when people swore blind that McTominay wasn't United's best finisher, using his lack of goals as evidence... regardless of the fact that he was playing as an anchorman.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I know the TA section has a bad rep anyway, but this Chripper guy is absolute eye aids

In the last 24 posts, 11 of them are him. Often replying to himself, and usually repeating himself. It's an absolute stinkfest.

3 hours ago, Chripper said:

He isn't really equipped for it. It's why United bought Casemiro and Ugarte and it's why they wasted two preseason tracking Frenkie De Jong.

Mainoo is more of a box to box dynamic player. He's good, but he has much to learn.

Definitely fair.

As you say, it's up to Gilmour to make it impossible for Conte to ignore him.

I remember a few years ago Anguissa was at Fulham. He was OK.

I wouldn't be shocked if Gilmour wasn't first choice by the end of the season. It's not like he's trying to dislodge Pirlo.

Just needs time to acclimatise to the surroundings.

Thats why they bought Casemiro? Mainoo (only 19 btw) was  16/17 when United bought Casemiro and Ugarte is essentially a long term replacement for Casemiro/Eriksson and with McTominay also leaving they needed to sign a CM. 

Also, Gilmour has a number of weaknesses in his game but the same goes for 99% of elite players out there.

Your analysis on things are as another poster pointed out is absolute eye aids.