Stenny v Cove

Saturday sees Cove travel down to Ochilview Park to take on Stenhousemuir in what should hopefully be competitive game with a few goals.

Cove, in recent games, have kept a few clean sheets and are still banging in the goals. 

It'll be my first trip down to Ochilview and i'm looking forward to see what kind of opposition Stenny will be. Being a former League 1 side and being at home I think they will make it difficult and will try to win the game.

Who are the stand out players for the home side I should keep an eye on? 

I'm hoping Masson starts for us and is not relegated to the bench with the arrival of Aird. Canto deserves a start as he was excellent against Annan and scored from off the bench the game previous game away to Elgin. 

I think Fyvie and Glass will get amongst the goals.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

4 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Saturday sees Cove travel down to Ochilview Park to take on Stenhousemuir in what should hopefully be competitive game with a few goals.

Cove, in recent games, have kept a few clean sheets and are still banging in the goals. 

It'll be my first trip down to Ochilview and i'm looking forward to see what kind of opposition Stenny will be. Being a former League 1 side and being at home I think they will make it difficult and will try to win the game.

Who are the stand out players for the home side I should keep an eye on? 

I'm hoping Masson starts for us and is not relegated to the bench with the arrival of Aird. Canto deserves a start as he was excellent against Annan and scored from off the bench the game previous game away to Elgin. 

I think Fyvie and Glass will get amongst the goals.

Whatever as long as if Masson is on the bench he doesn’t throw the toys from the pram like some of the players. In a competitive squad they need to learn to fight for their place and learn from the experience it’ll be a long winter they’ll all get their chances but with a player of Aird’s pedigree coming on and scoring a screamer my guess would be he’ll be starting on Saturday.

On 03/10/2019 at 09:57, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I can't see beyond a Cove Rangers victory here but this means I'll be delighted if we're able to take something from it.

@Francesc Fabregas - do you expect your new signing from Celtic, Connor McBride, to start or feature today?

Enjoy the game if your there today.

31 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

@Francesc Fabregas - do you expect your new signing from Celtic, Connor McBride, to start or feature today?

Enjoy the game if your there today.

I don't know. I'm not sure if he'll start ahead of Mark McGuigan or David Hopkirk but he could well feature at some point.

I'll certainly be there today - listen carefully and you'll here my running my jaw on the tannoy.

43 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I don't know. I'm not sure if he'll start ahead of Mark McGuigan or David Hopkirk but he could well feature at some point.

I'll certainly be there today - listen carefully and you'll here my running my jaw on the tannoy.

I’ll listen out for your dulcet tones over the tannoy. My first time at Ochilview; most of League 2 grounds are new to me for the obvious reason. Looking forward to it and keeping track of the other games in L2 today as well.

3-2 to Stenhousemuir and a deserved win. Stenny were warrior like in their desire and Cove were truly awful. 

Was a very different Cove side I watched today. Calamitous defending for the first 2 goals and our passing game was non-existent. Players panicked and looked poor on the ball.

Impressed with a couple of the Stenny players. Number 11 was good on the ball.

Guest TOPFITTER

If Carlesberg did football shocks, then Part-time David beating Full-time Big Money Billy Big-Time would certainly be up there.  Hard work beat expectation well done the underdogs 👏👏👏

1 hour ago, TOPFITTER said:

If Carlesberg did football shocks, then Part-time David beating Full-time Big Money Billy Big-Time would certainly be up there.  Hard work beat expectation well done the underdogs 👏👏👏

Agreed mate! Still can’t believe it myself. Pinching myself. 

50 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Agreed mate! Still can’t believe it myself. Pinching myself. 

Stenny wanted it that bit more and took full advantage of Cove’s calamitous defensive mistakes in the first half. 

Must admit when Cove took an early lead I thought we’d press on and take control of the game but the 2 errors at the back, especially the 2nd, completely spun Cove into a dizzy spin and we looked like a cat caught in the lights.  What the keeper and defence were doing for the 2nd Stenny goal was almost laughable.

Normally such a good composed passing side, we look shawdy,nervous and rushed.

Would like to see the foul that resulted in the penalty again. Must admit I didn’t catch it in real time. Not saying it wasn’t a pen I just wasn’t focussed on the infringement and it happened in a blink of an eye.

Mitch missed a couple of chances. The one bang on half time was huge. Going in 3-2 down would have given us a glimmer.

30 minutes ago, JamesMunro said:

We were awful today, I don’t think we even deserved the second goal. Played well until 1-0 and then completely stopped. 

Well done to Stenny, not as bad a team as your fans were making it out to be pre match! 

Sadly that was only 9 minutes! After that it was the worst I’ve seen us in a long long time. 

Struggling to think of a Cove player that earned their stripes today. Why were we punting long balls all the time. Not like us. Mitch had no chance against the giant central defender.

Agreed - Stenny are a decent outfit with some talented players.

65% possession today beaten by a team from the first division. 22 points would we have taken that before a ball was kicked - Yes not a bad first 9 games in any league. We’re the new boys, we also have no divine right to win. Well done to Stenhousemuir there will be many more difficult games, and points lost COYCR !

12 minutes ago, Toonsers said:

65% possession today beaten by a team from the first division. 22 points would we have taken that before a ball was kicked - Yes not a bad first 9 games in any league. We’re the new boys, we also have no divine right to win. Well done to Stenhousemuir there will be many more difficult games, and points lost COYCR !

Agreed. We’re learning our way in this league. I hope we learn from the mistakes at the back and importantly how to compose ourselves when things don’t go right. We need to keep to our sharp passing game and play to our strengths

Real contrast in styles. Cove play some really nice stuff, but our back to front tactics were spot on. Cove dominated possession but we exploited their weaknesses. The centre half and goalie in particular looked vulnerable.

Feared the worst after three minutes but we gave as good as we got and scored a decent equaliser ourselves. Hopkirk’s pace embarrassed the Cove rearguard for the second, and the penalty was just madness from the centre half.

Second half we had a couple of decent early chances but thereafter Cove were on top. Thankfully the second goal was late on and meant we were able to see out the game relatively comfortably.

MotM - Willie Gibson for me.

Irons impact on the team in such a short space of time has been remarkable.

6 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

Real contrast in styles. Cove play some really nice stuff, but our back to front tactics were spot on. Cove dominated possession but we exploited their weaknesses. The centre half and goalie in particular looked vulnerable.

Feared the worst after three minutes but we gave as good as we got and scored a decent equaliser ourselves. Hopkirk’s pace embarrassed the Cove rearguard for the second, and the penalty was just madness from the centre half.

Second half we had a couple of decent early chances but thereafter Cove were on top. Thankfully the second goal was late on and meant we were able to see out the game relatively comfortably.

MotM - Willie Gibson for me.

Irons impact on the team in such a short space of time has been remarkable.

Stenny certainly did that.  Spotted a wounded animal (or central defence and keeper in this instance) and fully exploited it.

Going by previous games our passing was dreadful. We lost all composure, looked out of control and resorted to punting it long.

We didn’t take the few good chances we created and deserved to lose to the better team on the day.

Willie was excellent. Shocked to find out he’s 35!

Had the pleasure of attending this game. Thought Halleran was the stand-out man for Stenny, but Fyvie for Cove the best overall. 

On a side note - No idea who the baldies in suits were, who the boys in brogues sat alongside them are or what any of them are to Stenny, but fucking hell boys! Put your phones away for more than 5 minutes and actually watch the game!

You could have said that at the time instead of bitching on the internet tbh.

I wasn't at the game yesterday but what a result for The Mighty. Just think how bad we were under Colin it was grim and now we are an absolute certainty for the play offs. Irons is a magician.