Stenny v Cove

13 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Sadly that was only 9 minutes! After that it was the worst I’ve seen us in a long long time. 

Struggling to think of a Cove player that earned their stripes today. Why were we punting long balls all the time. Not like us. Mitch had no chance against the giant central defender.

Agreed - Stenny are a decent outfit with some talented players.

No point punting long balls at stenny centre half’s. That’s their strength, get at them with passing on the deck and different story.

I didn't think Cove Rangers were awful at all - I thought they generally played well and forced Graeme Smith into a couple of great saves and, as mentioned earlier, if Mitch Megginson had put that chance away just before the interval it would have been a different story. They were just rotten at the most inopportune moments and Stenhousemuir took full advantage. I do think the Warriors narrowly deserved the win, right enough. We defended well, tried to play the ball through Thomas Halleran, Wullie Gibson and Alan Cook, and exploited a creaky defender and rubbish goalie.

I thought we were going to get battered after losing the early goal but fair play to the team for rallying. We would probably have lost that about 5-0 under Colin McMenamin. Credit to Davie Irons, seven points from the last three games, including a win against the probable champions, is some doing.

I didn't think Cove Rangers were awful at all - I thought they generally played well and forced Graeme Smith into a couple of great saves and, as mentioned earlier, if Mitch Megginson had put that chance away just before the interval it would have been a different story. They were just rotten at the most inopportune moments and Stenhousemuir took full advantage. I do think the Warriors narrowly deserved the win, right enough. We defended well, tried to play the ball through Thomas Halleran, Wullie Gibson and Alan Cook, and exploited a creaky defender and rubbish goalie.
I thought we were going to get battered after losing the early goal but fair play to the team for rallying.

Spot on IMO.

Really enjoyed the game yesterday.  Thought we were about to take a tanking when we conceeded the early goal but all credit to the side for battling back. As FF says that would have been a masscre under McMenamim. Thought that Cove looked a good team but just had a bit of an off day which will do them good and show that they are not invincible.  Had  a check of previous results and yesterday was the first time we have scored 3 goals in a game since we beat Montrose 3-2 almost exactly 1 year ago.

Made a difference yesterday that we were on top of Cove as soon as they got the ball but again it showed that we definately need a decent left back. McLaughlin has done fairly well but gets caught out too often when they cut inside him.

Apparently the trialist was a centre back - anyone know who he was?  Probably be needed because I think yesterday was Munro's 4 th booking of the season and will give us the cover we need in that position. 

7 points from the last 3 games is hopefully the result of the new manager and hope we keep it going.

That's a decent point, a left-back should be a priority signing at the next window. Scott McLaughlin has probably played a lot more than anyone's expected and he's done absolutely fine, but he was caught out for the first goal, and it's not the first time it's happened. Aidan McIlduff, meanwhile, just hasn't been good enough.

You're right that the trialist is a centre-back. Not sure who he is but he looked quite young.

23 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Really enjoyed the game yesterday.  Thought we were about to take a tanking when we conceeded the early goal but all credit to the side for battling back. As FF says that would have been a masscre under McMenamim. Thought that Cove looked a good team but just had a bit of an off day which will do them good and show that they are not invincible.  Had  a check of previous results and yesterday was the first time we have scored 3 goals in a game since we beat Montrose 3-2 almost exactly 1 year ago.

Made a difference yesterday that we were on top of Cove as soon as they got the ball but again it showed that we definately need a decent left back. McLaughlin has done fairly well but gets caught out too often when they cut inside him.

Apparently the trialist was a centre back - anyone know who he was?  Probably be needed because I think yesterday was Munro's 4 th booking of the season and will give us the cover we need in that position. 

7 points from the last 3 games is hopefully the result of the new manager and hope we keep it going.

Very much agreed on the off day for Cove; we were dreadful at the back and had no composure on the ball. All too hurried and not our normal slick passing.  

I like how you said it will show them they are not invincible. I think this is very true and hopefully it’s a reality check.

Will be looking out for Stenny results in the next few games. Got a decent squad there with talented players. Good enough team to be in the playoffs especially with DI at the helm.

4 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Had the pleasure of attending this game. Thought Halleran was the stand-out man for Stenny, but Fyvie for Cove the best overall. 

On a side note - No idea who the baldies in suits were, who the boys in brogues sat alongside them are or what any of them are to Stenny, but fucking hell boys! Put your phones away for more than 5 minutes and actually watch the game!

Halleran was magnificent yesterday. Thought Cook played a very good game too.

Fyvie was no where near his best yesterday but was the only Cove player that earned his stripes in my opinion. His work-rate, leadership and reading of the game is top class. He’s composed on the ball and is always looking around before he receives it. If he gets lured away in January (really hope he doesn’t) it will be a big hole to fill.

9 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I thought we were going to get battered after losing the early goal but fair play to the team for rallying. We would probably have lost that about 5-0 under Colin McMenamin. Credit to Davie Irons, seven points from the last three games, including a win against the probable champions, is some doing.

From middle to front I thought Cove were excellent, however defensively especially the centre backs let them down!