St Johnstone v Hearts, 30th October 2019

Must admit - I’m not seeing the Ralston is as good/better than Foster spiel yet. He has a bit of the Brad McKay about him in that his concentration drops and his mistakes seem to have a habit of being punished. Probably the best I’ve seen him play so far though and he’s in no way a bad player, just a bit to go for him to be considered up to Foster’s standard yet. 

I think he’s started better than Darnell Fisher did with us though, and he was excellent once he settled in and learned the game a bit. Hopefully Ralston will do similar. 

Very sensible of Hearts to keep their powder dry for the cup, and you can only applaud the managerial genius of Levein giving his players enormous motivation for Saturday.  

The ref was outdone by the main stand linesman, some of his off-sides were comedy gold. Other showreel moments included the chuckle brothers routine over the bounce ball and Clare's 'injury'. As for the goalie handball it certainly looked well over the line from where I was, but had just about the worst position to judge. 

As for the game, thought Muzz was absolutely immense and MOM. Thought Spoony was just OK, still not over the worry that we might not be getting back the pre-injury Drey Wright any time soon. Defensively that was a much more assured performance but I'm not going to pretend we looked entirely confident with balls in the box and when Hearts were running at us, particularly Duffy - although did clear the lines a wee bit better. Thought Tanser had his best game for a few weeks, defensively at least. Zander hard to judge as he didn't have much to do other than shelling an awful lot of long balls up the park. We must prioritise hanging on to McCann and it's guaranteed we're losing Matty if he keeps up those performances. 

Hearts were awful to a man. They really need to empty their manager, hope for a mini bounce until the window and start to rebuild in January. 

Overall though that was an excellent evening, midweek wins are really useful for getting through the grind of the working week. Would be great to have the Hibs game on Saturday but the lads deserve their break after 2 big performances. 

20 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Jambos on kickback saying St Johnstone weren't better than us :lol:

Must be the coaching staff.

It's a great read. Much like Aberdeen, it seems like we never ever play better than them, it's simply a case of them being so bad they hand it to us.

Tbf though, Hearts were pretty rancid last night. Soft as shite.

Aye May's wee reverse pass to Muzz, which brought the corner we scored from, was absolute quality.

Hes clearly not the same type of striker who left us, but he could be perfect for this set up we have just now. He stays more central and links play while Kennedy floats from wing to wing causing overloads. Only issue is most CBs dominate those two physically.

19 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Shocked at that. Thought it was double that number

Tbf that's only the ones the ref awarded.

I’m with Tam on this. There’s been a few Adam Morganesque performances from May since his return.  He was probably our worst player v Accies.

He was better last night but a lot of his improvement is down to Kennedy taking up the attentions of defenders.

Because of this, we’re able to get balls into Stevies feet, which is when he can usually link up play.

The one thing in his favour is Tommy hasn’t/ won’t drop him, so there’s less pressure on him than there was elsewhere, and it gives him the chance to get his confidence and form back.

Encouraging signs in the second half last night, hopefully he kicks on.

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You'll find yourself saying this a lot.

May could shit himself on the field of play, blocking a shot that would save us from relegation in the process, and we'd still love him for that season :wub:

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

May could shit himself on the field of play, blocking a shot that would save us from relegation in the process, and we'd still love him for that season :wub:

I like him a lot, just the comments from last night seem very reminiscent of how I felt about him, feeling like he was constantly on the verge of kicking into life, and it just not happening.

Biggest reveal of this thread is that folk talk shite on kickback. Huge if true!
We were murder after an okay first 20. St Johnstone were a bit above okay, particularly second half. It doesn’t need nor take much to beat us just now.

33 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I like him a lot, just the comments from last night seem very reminiscent of how I felt about him, feeling like he was constantly on the verge of kicking into life, and it just not happening.

I think he needs a season here before we judge him fully. It took a while for Craig to get the failure of Hibs out his system, and even MOH took months to get going after struggling for a few years beforehand. 

This time next season he'll hopefully have found his role in the club and the team, but playing week in, week out, should help him I think.