Ski Jumping

Todd_is_God

With the 4 Hills kicking off today though it would be a good time to see if anyone else was a fan of this sport? Anyone ever been?

Not everyone's cup of tea by a long shot, but the New Year's competition in Garmisch-Partenkirchen is on the bucket list.

With the 4 Hills kicking off today though it would be a good time to see if anyone else was a fan of this sport? Anyone ever been?
Not everyone's cup of tea by a long shot, but the New Year's competition in Garmisch-Partenkirchen is on the bucket list.
Not a keen follower by any means, but do watch it on occasion if I am channel hopping and find it on. Had it on a few weeks ago and my daughter couldn't get her head around the fact that the distance they were jumping would go from our back door into the school at the other side of the playing fields behind our house.

I'm a fan of most winter sports and used to love watching Eurosport.  While CBC seems to show some winter sports here, could not find any coverage of the Four Hills. I was in Bischofshofen earlier this year so hoping to at least catch the last event. 

Really hope Ryoyu Kobayashi doesn't run away with this tournament again. 5 four hills wins in a row now is a bit boring. Some very favourable style marks in the first round in Oberstdorf left him under little pressure on his second jump.

A 9.2 point lead going into Garmisch is a considerable gap already.

On 05/01/2020 at 11:34, Clockwork said:

Austrian Jumper, Stefan Kraft’s World Record Jump of 253.5m made on 18/03/17 at Vikersund is worth a watch on You Tube, incredible!!emoji15.png

Ski Flying is a tremendous watch, as the margins can be huge. The K-Point at Vikersund is 200m, and the Hill Size 240m, so 253.5m is both incredible and unsafe (Dmitry Vassiliev jumped 254m a few years previous, but fell so it doesn't count). 

A few years back you would get a few very long jump battles as jumpers in form could take advantage of favourable conditions, but Jurys now are very quick to react by lowering the startgate if someone jumps over the hill size. This obviously is good for safety, but make hill record jumps less likely.

Good to see Karl Geiger take the yellow bib off Kobayashi today. Something I just can't take to about him.

Edited by Todd_is_God