Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think you might end up disappointed at the next review, it’s not just going to be the schools.

Surely even Sturgeon can't prolong any further? She said it is expected to become 'guidance' in early April, and cases are now falling as expected. How could they possibly rework this?

22 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Surely even Sturgeon can't prolong any further? She said it is expected to become 'guidance' in early April, and cases are now falling as expected. How could they possibly rework this?

By directing the "guidance" at sectors who will feel dutybound to enforce it for fear of action taken against them. 

26 minutes ago, Elixir said:

No I don't think they will. They will point to the kids etc not being vaccinated as justification for this guidance, whilst also having the gall to proclaim the drop in cases was down to the extension.

They'll bin them, but with the parting shot they just won't hesitate to bring them back if cases go back up, what with them being a minor inconvenience and all.

By directing the "guidance" at sectors who will feel dutybound to enforce it for fear of action taken against them. 
The LAs I deal with are retaining compulsory masks, -ve LFTs and halting even a hybrid return to the office well into summer (end June the latest shifting date) due to "sky high" cases / hospitalizations (the exact phrase in the updated bulletin this week) regardlessof any changes next month. They need no encouragement what so ever and it's 100% not through any fear of action against them. It's being wholeheartedly endorsed by the unions too. It's becoming quite bizarrely entrenched in these settings.

On Tuesday, the Scottish government confirmed that secondary school pupils will have to keep wearing face coverings in communal areas after the Easter holidays.

Mr Yousaf confirmed that next week cabinet would consider changing the legal requirement to wear a face covering to guidance.

"As you would expect, schools would apply the national guidance, we would expect them to do so," he said.

"I still expect a large swathe of the population will follow the public guidance."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60846692

29 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

22 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

No I don't think they will. They will point to the kids etc not being vaccinated as justification for this guidance, whilst also having the gall to proclaim the drop in cases was down to the extension.

They'll bin them, but with the parting shot they just won't hesitate to bring them back if cases go back up, what with them being a minor inconvenience and all.

I expect them to be kept in hospitals/healthcare settings for a while yet, but other than perhaps schools/universities/council gubbins, I'm not sure where else will care? Businesses are desperate for confidence back and contrary to popular belief I believe most want them gone.

Guess I'm fortunate my work have been binning the Covid theatre off immediately as it's clear the ExCo's have no time for it, so when I fancy a couple of days in the office it will be completely normal. I think places like bars and restaurants recommending staff still wear them will vary for a short time. I don't see how they can force anyone to wear them, though large chains will be more likely to want this than independently run businesses.

3 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

"I still expect a large swathe of the population will follow the public guidance."

Living in a fantasy world. Maybe for the first few weeks, but come summer it will be negligible at best.

1 minute ago, Elixir said:

Living in a fantasy world. Maybe for the first few weeks, but come summer it will be negligible at best.

This is how it worked in England on both occasions that mandatory face coverings were removed. The first week, a majority still wear them. By week two it’s 50-50. After a month you’re talking 15%-20% wearing them. 

25 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I expect them to be kept in hospitals/healthcare settings for a while yet, but other than perhaps schools/universities/council gubbins, I'm not sure where else will care? Businesses are desperate for confidence back and contrary to popular belief I believe most want them gone.

Guess I'm fortunate my work have been binning the Covid theatre off immediately as it's clear the ExCo's have no time for it, so when I fancy a couple of days in the office it will be completely normal. I think places like bars and restaurants recommending staff still wear them will vary for a short time. I don't see how they can force anyone to wear them, though large chains will be more likely to want this than independently run businesses.

I find in Inverness pubs probably only about 50% of the bar staff still wear masks.  Indeed in the ones that serve food some of them aren't wearing them as they take the food to the tables.  Hopefully the other 50% ditch them in a couple of weeks.

34 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

On Tuesday, the Scottish government confirmed that secondary school pupils will have to keep wearing face coverings in communal areas after the Easter holidays.

Mr Yousaf confirmed that next week cabinet would consider changing the legal requirement to wear a face covering to guidance.

"As you would expect, schools would apply the national guidance, we would expect them to do so," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60846692

An example of guidance being mandatory in the sectors the SG have at least a degree of control over. 

I heard a view that says by extending the legal requirement, the SG has already undermined their own guidance. The thinking goes that actively choosing to continue with masks (rather than passively having them continue) they’ve shown their hand in terms of what it needs for them to be a requirement. 

Which leads to the logical conclusion that if things are (ostensibly) so bad that we “need” masks, they’d continue to be legally required. 

Two years ago today the first lockdown was announced.

Halcyon days.  Out once a day.  Crossing the street to avoid people.  Clapping outside every Thursday.  Buying 96 toilet rolls.

Edited by ICTChris

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Incredibly out of touch response from a man who has been pictured more than once recently not following said guidance.

Just back from the gym. About half the screens have been removed. There used to be screens between all the treadmills and all the cross trainers; most of these are away. 

My big hope is that Aldi get rid of their screens. They have food passed to you through a letterbox that I always end up banging my hands and stuff off.

Funny to read back on the Crisis in western Isles due the surge in covid Cases as recently as end of November 2021.  They actually had 36 cases in total that was causing this crisis.

Katherine Sutton, Chief Officer for Acute Services with NHS Highland, said: We are under extreme pressure and need to make beds available for emergency admissions.

Kateherine seems to be coping admirably well with the 816 cases they currently have. Particularly on Plague island of Lewis.  Worse than Gruinard 😇

31 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Two years ago today the first lockdown was announced.

Halcyon days.  Out once a day.  Crossing the street to avoid people.  Clapping outside every Thursday.  Buying 96 toilet rolls.

I think two years later it is now shoppers in Russia  who are desperate for Bog Rolls

PS  I'm on Sophia's list already.

Edited by Blue Brazil Forever
add

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Still can't get a routine check up at the dentist "because covid"

Absolute fucking nonsense.

My mum was at her dentist last week, and they told her that from April 4th there is a big shift back to normal, and they will send out check up letters.