LUCKY NUMBER 7 ~ The Hamilton Academical 2020/2021 Thread.

Hoping for a better season this season if it is played in full etc.

To fail to beat St Mirren, Ross County and St Johnstone (who were still jobby both times we played them) isn’t great.

I will also be fucking raging if we continue the habit of giving teams on horrific runs an easy get out, 3 times we did it alone last season and we didn’t even play all the games.

4 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

To fail to beat St Mirren, Ross County and St Johnstone (who were still jobby both times we played them) isn’t great.

I will also be fucking raging if we continue the habit of giving teams on horrific runs an easy get out, 3 times we did it alone last season and we didn’t even play all the games.

Given we hadn't won a game against anyone all season (except Brechin who were bottom of League 2) after playing 13 games, you really did us a favour in that first game, despite us doing our best to throw a lead away!

I didn't enjoy last season (as I'm sure my miserable posts made clear). We seemed to f**k up a lot more good opportunities than previous seasons which made it really frustrating and even more dejecting. There were obviously some awful performances too (Aberdeen in February, St Johnstone in October, St Mirren in December), but no more than usual.

The red card situation was pretty mental and usually a result of poor defending as opposed to poor discipline.

Some positives though...

Out of the few players who played under Canning and Rice, I can't think of many (if any at all) who have gone backwards; individuals seem to have improved off the top of my head.

When it clicked, we were better than almost anything seen under Canning. It was rarely 'pretty' exciting football but exciting nonetheless.

Hamilton and Smith are promising and it'll be a shame if their development is hindered by the suspension of football. Winter could be decent too although I'm not fully convinced (that said, I'm sure he turned 17 relatively recently).

I'm also sure we would've won the Reserve League if it was called the same way as the other SPFL leagues, so that's a nice wee thing too.
Given we hadn't won a game against anyone all season (except Brechin who were bottom of League 2) after playing 13 games, you really did us a favour in that first game, despite us doing our best to throw a lead away!
Solidarity brother! It worked out in the end.

Some shite on our recruitment/planning too...

I know a lot of our signings didn't work out, but there was an initial plan with what Rice wanted to do IMO. Easton, Fjortoft, Hunt, Collar, Alston and Beck are all technically decent players. Also, McKenna could step up from CB against diddy teams, and Stubbs could rake world class diagonals but was kind of bad with simple passing.
The problem was that a few of them couldn't do a lot of other things.

Even the goalkeepers were fine with playing from the back even if their long-range kicking was occasionally (or always in OFW's case) shite.

It was pretty clear we were recruiting to play a 3-5-2 (we played it in the first friendly, first Betfred game and first league game) with wide CBs who could act as FBs (Easton and Hunt did that relatively well but McKenna not so much). Watching the extended highlights from some friendlies and Betfred games, Rice seemed to want a ball-player (Hunt or Mimnaugh usually) sitting deeper with a box-to-box player (Hughes or MacKinnon) supporting the two strikers and Alston tending to move between an inside forward and a third midfielder.

This was abandoned really quickly, though, and Rice seemed to be left with quite a few signings he didn't know what to do with: Collar and Hunt disappeared for a while, Fjortoft disappeared, McKenna disappeared and was injured. We often saw with Canning that he'd start the season trying to play a certain way before abandoning it pretty quickly into the season. It makes the summer feel a bit like wasted time.

Johnny Hunt, Big Steve and Alston gone with a plethora of youngsters, the biggest names of them probably Jack Breen, Niyah Joseph and Liam Scullion.

Still shook that we decided to turn down actual money for Davies in January when it was obvious Rice didn’t fancy him.

Contracts offered to McGowan, Gogic, Miller and Oakley.

No news about Fraud-Williams or Fjortfoj hopefully both will be chucked at the end of the month.

Alston and Hunt weren't on small wages and you'd imagine Davies would've been on a decent bit too.

I'd be happy with Gogic, McGowan and Miller signed up but it'd would be a pleasant surprise to see all of them do so. OFW was on a one-year deal so he must be away - maybe they've forgotten about him?

Breen and Reilly are good players but their poor loan spells don't give you confidence that they're quite ready to step up. I would've liked them to stay though.

No surprises in those who have left apart from some of the kids: Jack Breen was highly rated and  Neil  Lennon while Hibs boss was angry we poached him away.Charlie Reilly and young Joseph obviously never kicked on the way the club thought they would.

Notwithstanding,from games I watched at youth/reserve level young Kyle Munro was very impressive.He can play left back,left midfield,centre forward and has a physical presence for a young lad which would have served him well playing in the Juniors for Clydebank last season where he apparently did  very well.

On 20/05/2020 at 23:46, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

St Mirren want Gogic according to the Star.

Of course they do.

And we want Hladky.

Doesnt mean either are very likely.

Maitland said in the same article that the 29 we have now are likely to be the 29 who start the season - save for maybe two or three if possible. You'd hope one of those (at least) would be a right-back otherwise we're in 16/17 territory in terms of full-back neglect.

Goalkeepers: Ryan Fulton, Owain Fon-Williams, Kyle Gourley

Defenders: Brian Easton, Jamie Hamilton, Ciaran McKenna, Sean Want, Scott McMann, Markus Fjortoft, George Stanger

Midfielders: Scott Martin, Will Collar, Reegan Mimnaugh, Rory Hughes, Lewis Smith, Ross Cunningham

Forwards: Marios Ogkmpoe, David Moyo, David Templeton, Andrew Winters

Hopefully Rory Hughes is better than Ronan Hughes; Kyle Gourley must be a new signing but it's weird that Gourlay isn't there considering he just signed a new contract; Sean Want's gotta be an improvement on his namesake; Andrew Winters must be a new signing too.

Auditors unable to confirm if Accies can go ahead as a going concern m with new season. 

Also doubt over whether accurate accounting records were kept. 

Source: some random on twitter. About on par with agent Scotland.

18 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Gogic, McGowan, Miller and Oakley are all away.

Not sure if any lower league teams in England will be signing any players if they are playing behind closed doors until the New Year as has been discussed. Wouldn't be surprised if 2 of these guys end up staying with us.

Hi lads - hope you are all well! Just dropping in to say that I have just finished creating a new Scottish football magazine called Stonewaller. We featured David Moyo in our first issue and had a pretty cool photoshoot at Scotland's Theme Park. We spoke about his career, his move to Hamilton, his thoughts on Scottish football, teammates and a lot more! If you're interested in a copy, you can order from the link below: 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scottkelly/stonewaller-magazine-number-1?ref=project_build

McGowan confirms he’s defo going. Decent servant but honestly not irreplaceable. He got away with a lot from the fans because he’s in the Facebook group and that #bantz

We honestly won’t struggle to find a right back who’s better than him defensively as his positioning was abysmal a lot of the time, but we may struggle to get as decent a threat going forward that said, I’d rather my full backs can defend first and foremost. Some leap on the boy as well.

Miller will be missed hopefully temps can step up to the plate again.

Best of luck to both of them. Fingers crossed Gogic will sign/get offered a bit of a better deal now.