OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

4 hours ago, AndyM said:

Pretty standard from Jackson. Weegie football reporter who seems to think the world begins and ends at Ibrox and Parkhead and that a Scottish player whose profile is raised will always either be "Rangers daft" or "Celtic mad".

A long time ago when Off The Ball was listenable I remember they had St Mirren player guesting with a very irish name who had apparently gone to a catholic school in Glasgow and the hosts were saying "So no prizes for guessing who you grew up supporting, tell us about your memories of Celtic from back then" 

He pointed out that for him the big game for him when he was growing up was always the one he was playing in, for his school or his U16s team or whatever, and that if he'd been more concerned with what was happening at Parkhead he wouldn't have made it as a professional

I suspect this attitude is a lot more common amongst players than anyone lets on

33 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

A long time ago when Off The Ball was listenable I remember they had St Mirren player guesting with a very irish name who had apparently gone to a catholic school in Glasgow and the hosts were saying "So no prizes for guessing who you grew up supporting, tell us about your memories of Celtic from back then" 

He pointed out that for him the big game for him when he was growing up was always the one he was playing in, for his school or his U16s team or whatever, and that if he'd been more concerned with what was happening at Parkhead he wouldn't have made it as a professional

I suspect this attitude is a lot more common amongst players than anyone lets on

Yep, dreadful to have to listen to that stuff. I know a couple of guys who became professionals. They didn't go to matches on Saturdays because they were playing for Hutchie Vale and Edina Hibs at the time and playing in their matches which was all they were bothered about. Both were Edinburgh boys but neither could probably have told you at the time who Hibs or Hearts were playing that weekend and if they were at home or away.  I also played Boys Club back in the 80s and our games invariably clashed with the Saturday League matches. TBH I only really started going to football regularly in my 20s after Uni.

You talk to Stephen Pressley who grew up in Dalgety Bay. He had a boyhood liking for Aberdeen but was never a "diehard fan" and didn't attend games as Jackson would no doubt have claimed. He was too busy playing for his own team.

The Daily Record is such a rotten rag that serves up cliched slop to pensioner weegies.

Edited by AndyM

7 hours ago, Galajambo said:

This is the point that Hearts fans are trying to make to Rangers fans everywhere, but they don't seem to be getting it, they either pay us £5m now for him and we wish him all the best, or we keep him, benefit from his goals to fire us to hopefully 3rd in the league and another tilt at group stage football which nets us around £5m anyway, all they see is we'll lose him for nothing anyway because they're not the brightest 🤦‍♂️

I suspect we'd sell for quite a bit less, given there's no guarantee Shankland scores the goals that take us to third (or better). I'd hope that fee would be in excess of £3m though.

It's a calculated gamble and seems like the club are comfortable having him this season then potentially losing him for free. As I watch football for the enjoyment of winning games rather than celebrating bank balances, I'm on board.

12 hours ago, Darren said:

I suspect we'd sell for quite a bit less, given there's no guarantee Shankland scores the goals that take us to third (or better). I'd hope that fee would be in excess of £3m though.

It's a calculated gamble and seems like the club are comfortable having him this season then potentially losing him for free. As I watch football for the enjoyment of winning games rather than celebrating bank balances, I'm on board.

It's also getting late in the window. If someone had offered proper money in June that would have left Hearts with plenty of time to go shopping for a replacement and figure out how to fit him in

Selling Shankland now would be massively disruptive

Unless Drammeh's step up from La Liga B team to SPFL first team goes quicker and more successfully than anyone has a right to expect

If I were running contract negotiations at a football club and writing release clauses I'd push for them to increment over the course of the window

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

15 hours ago, Darren said:

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's also getting late in the window. If someone had offered proper money in June that would have left Hearts with plenty of time to go shopping for a replacement and figure out how to fit him in

Selling Shankland now would be massively disruptive

Unless Drammeh's step up from La Liga B team to SPFL first team goes quicker and more successfully than anyone has a right to expect

If I were running contract negotiations at a football club and writing release clauses I'd push for them to increment over the course of the window

Aye, I think £3m is where the risk/reward here meet. But every day closer to the end of the window makes it a worse and worse deal for us.

The club are bound to have replacements in mind, but the longer the window goes, the less likely they are to be available (someone else might buy them) and the more expensive they'll become to us as clubs will know we're desperate.

As it stands I'd keep him unless someone offers us the £3m, which I don't think they will.

One factor in the Shankland situation is our current alternatives up front (i.e. Boyce and Tagawa) aren't even close to being reliable backups, so selling him now represents a cliff edge and there would be huge pressure on finding a replacement.

I'd like to see us be proactive and spend a bit of cash on a younger striker who has the potential to step into his shoes over the next year or two. Then, when he does leave, sign a more established replacement. That would effectively give us two bites at the cherry.

It's part of the reason I feel Tagawa is a bit of a luxury player in this squad. He has some good attributes and might have his uses in certain games but I'm not sure he has it in him to start consistently if required. If there's an opportunity to move him on and put the cash towards someone who fits the bill described above then it's a no-brainer for me.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

Tagawa is a bit of a luxury player

"luxury" implies at least some good qualities, so I think your post falls down there. 

Edited by SEETHING

1 hour ago, SEETHING said:

"luxury" implies at least some good qualities, so I think your post falls down there. 

I'm not a fan, but some have the impression that maybe the couple of goals he scored at the end of last season are a sign that he's coming onto a game. Maybe he just needs a run of games. Maybe if we have players who are better at picking out through balls he'll do better. I suppose what I'm getting at is we don't have the luxury of spending another year of probably hefty wages finding out when those wages could be used elsewhere.

5 hours ago, DC92 said:

I'm not a fan, but some have the impression that maybe the couple of goals he scored at the end of last season are a sign that he's coming onto a game. Maybe he just needs a run of games. Maybe if we have players who are better at picking out through balls he'll do better. I suppose what I'm getting at is we don't have the luxury of spending another year of probably hefty wages finding out when those wages could be used elsewhere.

He has good movement and seems to be an instinctive finisher. He missed a good chance against Spurs but his movement was at least good and it was a friendly.  

I think he's worth keeping and seeing if we can get more out of him, especially with far more games this season.

However I would not be against another option. Someone a bit physical to change it up.

On 29/07/2024 at 20:47, DC92 said:

So many EXCLUSIVES all in one week about how Rangers are possibly thinking about whether they might bid for Shankland, maybe. How does Keith keep getting these incredible scoops?

It seems Rangers' bid for Lawrence Shankland has been SCUPPERED by Rangers' decision to spend the Lawrence Shankland money on Not Lawrence Shankland.

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

He has good movement and seems to be an instinctive finisher. He missed a good chance against Spurs but his movement was at least good and it was a friendly.  

I think he's worth keeping and seeing if we can get more out of him, especially with far more games this season.

However I would not be against another option. Someone a bit physical to change it up.

I don't think he's completely hopeless, but his lack of link-up play suggest to me he'll never be a starter and, if he's never going to be a starter, I'd rather we cut our losses and twist.

Tagawa always reminds me of discount Kyogo tbh.

Let him poach while others create and you'll get a lot out of him, but the further he is from goal the less you'll see.

10 hours ago, DC92 said:

I don't think he's completely hopeless, but his lack of link-up play suggest to me he'll never be a starter and, if he's never going to be a starter, I'd rather we cut our losses and twist.

I think his link up play is better than he gets credit for, but it's exactly that, link up as opposed to hold up. In certain games he was first time popping it off and running in behind, winning flick ons or spreading it wide. It was useful, but he cannot take it into feet at all and hold players off. I guess it depends on how we want to play, or at least if we want to use him as a different option. If you ask him to play like Shankland he'll toil.

He's not someone I'm expecting centre backs to think "oh f**k Tagawa is starting, I'm in for a tough one today." That's what worries me up top, is without Shankland we don't have that presence. Someone else that occupies a defence would be great fodder for the many attacking midfield options we've got in the chamber now. It looks like Vargas and Drammeh are lined up to try, but one isn't fully proven yet and the other is largely untested.

50 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

He's not someone I'm expecting centre backs to think "oh f**k Tagawa is starting, I'm in for a tough one today." That's what worries me up top, is without Shankland we don't have that presence. Someone else that occupies a defence would be great fodder for the many attacking midfield options we've got in the chamber now. It looks like Vargas and Drammeh are lined up to try, but one isn't fully proven yet and the other is largely untested.

Tagawa  spend most of last season injured or recovering from injury so we can hardly put him in the "fully tested" pile either

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Tagawa  spend most of last season injured or recovering from injury so we can hardly put him in the "fully tested" pile either

He only missed 8 games through injury, the last of which was on the 5th of November. He either started or made the bench 39 times out of a possible 49. It's fair to say he never had a run of games, but ultimately that's because he wasn't selected.