Billy Connolly

33 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Second time was at the secc and he was awful 20mins in and he had barely a laugh from the audience, he then said something ‘shocking’ and the audience say oh and he walked off 10 mins later. My uncle saw him week later in Stirling and said he was hilarious and on for ages. Guess he wasn’t feeling it the night we went.

I expect he sent your money back?

I went to see him at The Kings in Glasgow in 1997.  My mum had died just over a week before and I, obviously, wasn't really in the mood to be going to see a comedian.  My mates and my dad pestered me into going and it was the most I think I've ever laughed before or since.  I've always thought he was great, but he'll always have a place in my heart for making an 18 year old me feel like my world hadn't just fallen apart.

31 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I went to see him at The Kings in Glasgow in 1997.  My mum had died just over a week before and I, obviously, wasn't really in the mood to be going to see a comedian.  My mates and my dad pestered me into going and it was the most I think I've ever laughed before or since.  I've always thought he was great, but he'll always have a place in my heart for making an 18 year old me feel like my world hadn't just fallen apart.

I'm gutted I never got the chance to go see him live. My mum went a few times and always talks about how brilliant it was. 

I HATE THE b*****d

It's his fault that everyone thinks they are the first person to say to me, when they discover I'm a Thistle fan, "I thought they were called Partick Thistle Nil". 

TOTAL b*****d

I was never lucky enough to see him perform live although I was fortunate enough to get an invite to the City of Chambers for the dinner when he was given the freedom of the city of Glasgow. Sat at our table were Billy's, i think, previously estranged brother and playwright John Byrne. I was properly star struck. 

Billy's acceptance speech was hysterical even though I was bursting for a pish. 

But mostly he's a total b*****d. :-) 

2 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I’ve never really watched much of his stuff tbh, he does seem like a decent guy though. However I watched the video posted by the OP and really didn’t find it very funny. I’m assuming there’s better stuff of his out there.

I haven't seen all that much of him either in all honesty, just the odd clips here and there through the years. Think there's one where he gets one or two boo's from the crowd after mentioning the IRA as part of a bit, so he does a staunch wee Gazza style flute routine that was pretty funny. "There, you fuckin' happy now?"

4 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

The band he was in was the Humblebums with Gerry Rafferty

The documentary on him Made In Scotland is good when h takes the piss out the road workers he said if that was anyone else they would have got a kick in but when they seen it was him they said "its just Billy" which he did say he gets away with a lot of stuff because its him.

Think they said after he passes away Glasgow Airport is being renamed after him

The 'Haud 'im Up, Ah Wannae Put The Heid In'  International Airport does have a certain ring to it.     [ from 'Harry Campbell and the Heavies].