Dunbar United Season 20/21

On 16/12/2022 at 16:18, RedLichty said:

I see tomorrow's game is off, on the plus side the Seasiders lead is unassailable for now at least!

What a season they are having well done to the club for doing what every club that down wanted to do, put themselves in a very strong position to bounce back.  Meanwhile other clubs who were in the early race are drifting off to the mid table positions...

From what I've seen the infrastructure and squad are now in place to have a real tilt at the Premier League next season and not be the cannon fodder they were for the previous three years.  

We are nowhere near having a tilt at the Premier league. We are having a good season so far, and have a decent squad and one which may or may not be good enough to gain promotion and only when that is confirmed should the Premier league be discussed. Mistakes were made last season and the squad wasn't good enough for the Premier league but a definite change this season.

On 18/12/2022 at 14:13, imho said:

We are nowhere near having a tilt at the Premier league. We are having a good season so far, and have a decent squad and one which may or may not be good enough to gain promotion and only when that is confirmed should the Premier league be discussed. Mistakes were made last season and the squad wasn't good enough for the Premier league but a definite change this season.

Personally I do think that the squad now assembled is as good as most teams in the PL. Theres tons of experience and ability. The only measure that can be applied is this seasons competitive matches against higher ranked teams. 
the Scottish Cup result against Clachnacuddin was well warranted and they were ranked about 30+ places higher. Even the VoL were ranked higher  and playing in the PL. 
The same applies to the EoSQC match away to Gretna. A well deserved result against a team higher ranked and of Lowland league status. 
Id like to see a match between one of the stronger PL sides. Without being unjust I think that maybe Lithgae, Sauchie, Jeanfield and Penicuik are miles in front of the rest. 
I’m sure that if promotion comes along then the Club will be ok, I’m pretty sure there will be constant improvement in terms of signings. 
I think the squad is pretty good just now and could easily give 50% of PL teams a competitive match. 
Similarly, I also think there’s two or three clubs in division 1 that could easily hold their own in the PL.. 

This time next year we’ll have the answer. Hopefully it’ll be as a happy a footballing Christmas as this Yuletide has been.

merry Christmas IMHO

Edited by Man from the East

On 18/12/2022 at 14:13, imho said:

Not often I will agree with IMHO....but think they are correct.

We need to take a step back. We are doing very well at the moment, but lets not forget the task in hand. The aim is to gain promotion to the league above. We have been reminded a couple of times this season, if the team do no compete or show up on the day, they will get nothing. 

I have no doubts that Dunbar can compete with the majority of the Premier League, and also shown they are capable of winning against Lowland League opposition. However, it is one thing to do it in a one-off game and another competing for 30+ games. The latter being the reason we are in the First Division.

Looking forward to the game on Friday against Preston. Fingers crossed, the lads will be able to avenge the defeat from earlier in the season, and continue this good run of form. 

Reading the above theres some who have a glass half empty and some with a glass half full point of view.

From what I've seen of the performances - and I admit I dont see a lot - theres a lot to be positive about regarding playing matters. Theres been a few right good games recently and they look like theyre now on their game. I cant see many teams looking forward to visiting NCP. Nor do I see many teams looking forward to DUFC visting them.

At this stage of the season its certainly not time to break open the champagne - and nobodys yet said that - but its looking very optimistic, thats where we are.

Theres not a lot to fix, theres no need to go hunting players to strenghten the squad, theres young talent filtering through from the U20 team, theres confidence on the pitch and competition for places.

Looking at the various EoS tables it  shows that at this stage of the season, natural order is forming.

3rd Division has Boness Athletic with a NINE point lead in a ten team league with second place Armadale having a Seven point cushion over 3rd place. Two clubs are promoted from this league.

2nd Division has Syngenta and Whitburn with FIVE points over 3rd place Dalkeith who in turn have a point lead. Three teams promoted from this league.

1st Division has DUFC with a FOUR point lead over 2nd place Newtongrange Star leading Glenrothes by one point. Three clubs will go up.

Premier has Linlithgow Rose Eight points in front of Sauchie Juniors who are sitting 1 point in front Jeanfield Swifts and Crossgates Primrose. One club may be promoted depending on play off results.

Theres a pattern from 3rd Division to 1st, with the leaders having reduced points difference. Thats what youd expect. The Premier has positions 2 - 6 only separated by THREE points.

Yes this time last season things looked promising for DUFC. But this season things seem far better - unqestionably so - the playing squad has developed into a very capable unit.

I'm fairly confident theres much much more to look forwards to in the near future.

Lets re-assess the position at the end of January by which time we will have played Preston Athletic (home), Dunipace (away), Kennoway Star Hearts (home), and Rosyth (home). Out of those four, I think Rosyth could be more than anyone bargained for.

One game at a time nice and steady with no over reaction to any result that may come along. Leagues arent won until the arithmetic says they are.

But the indicators to remain within the top three certainly tell a story.

6 hours ago, platform 19 said:

Reading the above theres some who have a glass half empty and some with a glass half full point of view.

From what I've seen of the performances - and I admit I dont see a lot - theres a lot to be positive about regarding playing matters. Theres been a few right good games recently and they look like theyre now on their game. I cant see many teams looking forward to visiting NCP. Nor do I see many teams looking forward to DUFC visting them.

At this stage of the season its certainly not time to break open the champagne - and nobodys yet said that - but its looking very optimistic, thats where we are.

Theres not a lot to fix, theres no need to go hunting players to strenghten the squad, theres young talent filtering through from the U20 team, theres confidence on the pitch and competition for places.

Looking at the various EoS tables it  shows that at this stage of the season, natural order is forming.

3rd Division has Boness Athletic with a NINE point lead in a ten team league with second place Armadale having a Seven point cushion over 3rd place. Two clubs are promoted from this league.

2nd Division has Syngenta and Whitburn with FIVE points over 3rd place Dalkeith who in turn have a point lead. Three teams promoted from this league.

1st Division has DUFC with a FOUR point lead over 2nd place Newtongrange Star leading Glenrothes by one point. Three clubs will go up.

Premier has Linlithgow Rose Eight points in front of Sauchie Juniors who are sitting 1 point in front Jeanfield Swifts and Crossgates Primrose. One club may be promoted depending on play off results.

Theres a pattern from 3rd Division to 1st, with the leaders having reduced points difference. Thats what youd expect. The Premier has positions 2 - 6 only separated by THREE points.

Yes this time last season things looked promising for DUFC. But this season things seem far better - unqestionably so - the playing squad has developed into a very capable unit.

I'm fairly confident theres much much more to look forwards to in the near future.

Lets re-assess the position at the end of January by which time we will have played Preston Athletic (home), Dunipace (away), Kennoway Star Hearts (home), and Rosyth (home). Out of those four, I think Rosyth could be more than anyone bargained for.

One game at a time nice and steady with no over reaction to any result that may come along. Leagues arent won until the arithmetic says they are.

But the indicators to remain within the top three certainly tell a story.

Everyone has a different opinion but we all want the same whether we agree on different aspects of the club. Talking of promotion before January is premature. We have a few difficult away games to come but it's in our own hands. We will drop points,no doubt,  but its who you drop them to that will prove pivotal. Everyone wants to beat the team at the top,it's how the manager handles it from here on in. A good point that we were doing okay at this stage last season but it went pear shaped,let's hope that lessons were learned of what went wrong. It's better at the top than the bottom and we deserve to be at the top, but don't get too far ahead of ourselves. Been a great first half of the season.

On 21/12/2022 at 16:47, imho said:

Everyone has a different opinion but we all want the same whether we agree on different aspects of the club. Talking of promotion before January is premature. We have a few difficult away games to come but it's in our own hands. We will drop points,no doubt,  but it’s who you drop them to that will prove pivotal. Everyone wants to beat the team at the top,it's how the manager handles it from here on in. A good point that we were doing okay at this stage last season but it went pear shaped,let's hope that lessons were learned of what went wrong. It's better at the top than the bottom and we deserve to be at the top, but don't get too far ahead of ourselves. Been a great first half of the season.

I’m sure it’ll be an even better second half of the season. It’s all coming together at the right time. 

Looking forward so much to Fridays match v PA. A perfect opportunity to overturn that dreadful result at the Pennypit several weeks ago.

On 24/12/2022 at 21:57, Man from the East said:

I’m sure it’ll be an even better second half of the season. It’s all coming together at the right time. 

Looking forward so much to Fridays match v PA. A perfect opportunity to overturn that dreadful result at the Pennypit several weeks ago.

Be a difficult game. When we beat PA 4-1 in a cup tie recently,they played well in bits and we had a bit of fortune with a couple of goals but we were winning 3-1 and their striker missed an open goal to make it 3-2 and they were on top at the time but we broke up the park and scored to make it 4-1 ,game over ,but not a 4-1 game. Not looking for anything other than a win. We have a great home record, keep it going. Good luck to Dunbar,although playing under lights can be a leveller. 

On 26/12/2022 at 14:25, imho said:

Be a difficult game. When we beat PA 4-1 in a cup tie recently,they played well in bits and we had a bit of fortune with a couple of goals but we were winning 3-1 and their striker missed an open goal to make it 3-2 and they were on top at the time but we broke up the park and scored to make it 4-1 ,game over ,but not a 4-1 game. Not looking for anything other than a win. We have a great home record, keep it going. Good luck to Dunbar,although playing under lights can be a leveller. 

There’s no easy games. Not in this division. The same couldn’t be said about last seasons Conf ‘A’ & Conf ‘B’. 
Every 90 minutes is a full on challenge.
Yes agreed Friday will be yet another tough match.

Edited by Man from the East
@

Massive evening on Friday at home. The Preston Athletic guys will be looking to overturn that 4:1 result in mid October

Methinks that Sunny D have to start as favourites, but will that count for anything? If theres a matchwinner could it be one of U20 youngsters?

Whatever happens the club will enter into 2023 as league leaders. Thats worthy of 👏

I'd settle for one point but really want all three.

I think there will be an awful lot of interest in whats happening at New Victoria Park with most fans at Countess Park, but Whitehill Welfare will be playing for pride during this game.

On Saturday Glenrothes, Dunipace and Kirkcaldy will all be trying to gain points and to stay in the leaders pack.  I notice that the scheduled Kinoull v Luncarty is postponed which does neither of those clubs a favour.

Great to close out the year with a win.

Not a vintage display, but always in control of the match. If Dunbar are to be in contention come the end of the season, performances like tonight will be needed. 

Well done to the Gaffer and team. Halfway there! Let’s kick on into the New Year! 

15 hours ago, #DUFC said:

Great to close out the year with a win.

Not a vintage display, but always in control of the match. If Dunbar are to be in contention come the end of the season, performances like tonight will be needed. 

Well done to the Gaffer and team. Halfway there! Let’s kick on into the New Year! 

Terrible game but could turn out to be a pivotal win. 6 players missing again but Preston were worse than us. We got away with it but might not be so fortunate again. It was important to get 3 points,job done. Halfway with a good lead,we'll done to all at the club. 

Edited by imho

As has been previously said, halfway through the season and things are looking promising.

Nothing is ever won at the halfway stage, but it’s a point from which it’s easy to lose. 
I’m confident the team will continue to focus on the objective of a swift return to the Premier. 
Wonder if the unbeaten run will continue at NCP.

The league campaign visitors to still visit NCP are:-

Kennoway, Rosyth, Newtongrange, Coldstream, Glenrothes, Camelon, Burntisland and Kirkcaldy.

Theres a challenge for the team!!

Wishing a very Happy New Year to DUFC and all who follow.

On 01/01/2023 at 00:39, Man from the East said:

As has been previously said, halfway through the season and things are looking promising.

Nothing is ever won at the halfway stage, but it’s a point from which it’s easy to lose. 
I’m confident the team will continue to focus on the objective of a swift return to the Premier. 

Kennoway, Rosyth, Newtongrange, Coldstream, Glenrothes, Camelon, Burntisland and Kirkcaldy.

The challenge for the team is promotion and anything else is a bonus. On to the next game away to Dunipace and a very difficult game. 

On 01/01/2023 at 00:39, Man from the East said:

Dont really see very many of that lot looking forward to playing at Dunbar. Of course there'll be a defeat here and there along the way or maybe no.

Edited by platform 19

14 hours ago, platform 19 said:

Dont really see very many of that lot looking forward to playing at Dunbar. Of course there'll be a defeat here and there along the way or maybe no.

About covers every scenario really but no point going through a season.undefeated at home if we don't gain promotion.  let them get on.with it  a game at a time.

Edited by imho

Exciting times. When does the transfer window close?  Is it March at this level?

I wonder if there will be any late transfer business that throws a cat amount the pigeons I'd expect some of the Dunbar players will be wanted elsewhere and no doubt Kevin Haynes will have his eye on a few additions as well.

I hope the lads can keep this going and get back up alongside Haddington and Musselburgh in the Premier next season... hopefully joined by Nitten as they are too big a side for this league.

On 17/12/2022 at 00:35, Man from the East said:

Very strong contender for Player of the Year. 
Very much hope that the club can hold onto him and to Shea D. 

There in lies the challenge, keeping two first class keepers!  Albeit I see Dowie started recently.  Was Sean on holiday?

2 hours ago, RedLichty said:

There in lies the challenge, keeping two first class keepers!  Albeit I see Dowie started recently.  Was Sean on holiday?

I believe he is carrying an injury. 
Both very good keepers.