Dunbar United Season 20/21

Large crowds, a hard working committee and volunteers, a well established weekly lottery, a community that put a good bit of money into the new stand and a lot of local sponsors but there's some mystery as to where the money comes from.. You might as well ask the same of Haddington too who are doing well.

On 14/02/2023 at 14:16, bobbydazzler said:

disgusting if true, should not be allowed to spend it.

😄, exactly!  Wonder how they got it, they have best amount the best run clubs in the EoS for several years now - hence they have money... it's not like they have opened an Opium farm or started gun running!

15 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Large crowds, a hard working committee and volunteers, a well established weekly lottery, a community that put a good bit of money into the new stand and a lot of local sponsors but there's some mystery as to where the money comes from.. You might as well ask the same of Haddington too who are doing well.

Well said Tam. You are spot on. A new ambitious board of business people,no sugar daddy,have taken the club forward with the community ,heavily involved. We have been successful in raising money and the lottery is going great, and because we are in a position to back the manager in providing funds to improve the team,others,who's clubs are in free fall,take the hump. We were all jealous of clubs who were in the enviable position of being able to attract some better players to their clubs,so if we are in that position now,it is down to getting local people involved and real business plans put in place. If clubs want to improve,the way forward is to do what our club has done. It might not last forever so we will enjoy it while it does. 

5 hours ago, imho said:

Well said Tam. You are spot on. A new ambitious board of business people,no sugar daddy,have taken the club forward with the community ,heavily involved. We have been successful in raising money and the lottery is going great, and because we are in a position to back the manager in providing funds to improve the team,others,who's clubs are in free fall,take the hump. We were all jealous of clubs who were in the enviable position of being able to attract some better players to their clubs,so if we are in that position now,it is down to getting local people involved and real business plans put in place. If clubs want to improve,the way forward is to do what our club has done. It might not last forever so we will enjoy it while it does. 

Think that youve nailed that one. Why do folk assume theres magic money trees growing at New Countess Park?  Think its called , hard work, prudent management and a sizeable support.

44 minutes ago, Man from the East said:

This reads as either a wind up, a jealousy post or maybe just another sniper trying to shoot down the keen and hardworking groups. 
Should try it sometime - it can help. 

I read it as a wind up. If not, who cares.

The last few posts have summed it up perfectly. Dunbar may have one of the biggest, if not the biggest, budgets in the league, but that is down to hard work on and off the park.

Long may it continue. I think we are a Premier League club on paper, however, the manager and players need to keep proving that between now and the end of the season. 

On 14/02/2023 at 14:06, 19052012 said:

Certainly helps when you have the biggest budget in the league by a country mile though doesn’t it.

Maybe, maybe not.
What clearly helps is having a functional and responsive management team. 

Budgets don’t solve anything if the people spending it don’t have a clue how to do it wisely. 
The adage about buying cheap means buying twice certainly applies - as has been clearly demonstrated by many fallen greats. 
Every clubs budget should be the sole domain of that club and not speculated on by others who use it as an excuse for their own failings. 
A small budget thats used effectively can be a lot better than a big budget applied carelessly. Ouch!!!

Edited by Man from the East

On 16/02/2023 at 22:23, Man from the East said:

Maybe, maybe not.
What clearly helps is having a functional and responsive management team. 

Budgets don’t solve anything if the people spending it don’t have a clue how to do it wisely. 
The adage about buying cheap means buying twice certainly applies - as has been clearly demonstrated by many fallen greats. 
Every clubs budget should be the sole domain of that club and not speculated on by others who use it as an excuse for their own failings. 
A small budget thats used effectively can be a lot better than a big budget applied carelessly. Ouch!!!

No manager can guarantee all his signings will turn out good ones. In fact we have a few in our squad that have not turned out as was hoped but the secret is having more good ones which we have at this moment ,which will hopefully be enough to gain promotion. 

4 hours ago, imho said:

No manager can guarantee all his signings will turn out good ones. In fact we have a few in our squad that have not turned out as was hoped but the secret is having more good ones which we have at this moment ,which will hopefully be enough to gain promotion. 

Another good win for Dunbar.  3-0. Surprising team selection but credit to Edmond with 2 goals and Stewart with his first for the club. Referee was poor and pitch was slippy,but points in the bag and on to next week.

Great result. Really good second half performance.

Winning is becoming a bit of a habit, especially at home. It’s not going to be vintage every week but that doesn’t matter when we are continuing to add points to the league table and cement out position.

Still a long way to go. Worth noting Glenrothes if they win all their games in hand but I would rather be in our position. Especially with the points already secured. 

I am sure it will be another testing game next week over in Fife against Kirkcaldy. 

I've only started following Dunbar this season after moving to the town last year, but that was one of the best wins I've seen from them so far, in challenging conditions. Credit to all the fans who braved the weather, including a good few making the journey from Midlothian. 

Newtongrange started like a team who knew they realistically had to get a result to keep their title hopes alive. Dunbar did well to soak up that pressure and take their own chances when presented with them.

I thought Goldie's defence splitting pass for the 3rd was excellent, and from what I've seen of him so far he's a player with the potential to play above this level if he keeps developing.

There's a great setup at Dunbar which wouldn't look out of place in the SPFL. Let's hope that the club continues to build on and off the park and this could be a realistic target in the coming years.

Darren Smith has moved to Crossgates on loan until the end of the season. 

I think it is a good move for both parties. Would be hard for him to get back into the side after so long out. Will be a good opportunity to get minutes in the legs, regaining match sharpness, for a good team and reassess at the end of the season. 

On 23/02/2023 at 11:23, #DUFC said:

Darren Smith has moved to Crossgates on loan until the end of the season. 

I think it is a good move for both parties. Would be hard for him to get back into the side after so long out. Will be a good opportunity to get minutes in the legs, regaining match sharpness, for a good team and reassess at the end of the season. 

A good player and also a great guy.

The previous time his name was on social media is unquestionably a major contributor to him going on loan.

35 minutes ago, Man from the East said:

A good player and also a great guy.

The previous time his name was on social media is unquestionably a major contributor to him going on loan.

You think? Maybe naively, but I seen it as he has been out for a significant period. 
Dunbar are fighting for a league championship, and his game time would be limited whilst trying to regain match sharpness.

Just one of these days that nothing went right for us. Gregor Goldie struck the bar twice and we missed a lot of chances on a tricky playing surface but credit to Kirkcaldy who took their chances well and were well organised in defence. Personally I was not impressed with the referee but only my opinion.

Still a long way to go before anything is decided in this League and if Kirkcaldy play like that they will upset a few clubs before the end of the season.

1 hour ago, thesunnydunny said:

Personally I was not impressed with the referee but only my opinion.

Still a long way to go before anything is decided in this League and if Kirkcaldy play like that they will upset a few clubs before the end of the season.

Maybes blame a ref for a narrow defeat but no a 4 0 pumping surely. 

For the record Kirkcaldy have played ww 3 times this season and lost all 3. 

Yer still very much in the driving seat but it's a funny old league.