Livingston's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Livingston's Next Permanent Manager?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Martindale wont take the job, he was offered it after Hopkin and Miller. He doesn't want it

Why does there seem to be an issue with Martindale as a credible managerial candidate?

He appears to have been an integral part of Livingston's rise from League One to the Premiership.

On 30/11/2020 at 03:44, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I've just realised Tony Caig is a real person and not a misspelling of that incompetent pensioner who helped relegate St Mirren a few years back.

He was utter shite for Hibs. Played as back-up when Nick Colgan was their number 1 IIRC.

Just now, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Why does there seem to be an issue with Martindale as a credible managerial candidate?

He appears to have been an integral part of Livingston's rise from League One to the Premiership.

There isn't, he's been offered the job at least 2 times that we know of by John Ward, and both times he's turned it down. 

He's got a comfy job in Head of Footballing Operations, essentially just a DoF - he knows that managers are only going to stay a few seasons whereas he can stick around as DoF at Livi for years. Helps with him being local and having family here/grew up here too.

Hopkin made an approach for him to go to Bradford as Assistant Manager as well and he turned them down.

Think he also doesn't want a spotlight shone on his past, as you can see the stories being printed after it, if he took the job, to be pretty shite for a guy with a young family

6 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Don't think there is an issue from Livi fans, well the majority anyway, will no doubt be some where his criminal past doesn't sit right. But as you say, he's been a big part of us winning back to back promotions, and being in the top flight these last 3 seasons.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Martindale wont take the job, he was offered it after Hopkin and Miller. He doesn't want it
He was unable to accept due to his probation. Which is up in 2 or 3 weeks time.
Had nothing to do with not wanting the job. Had everything to do with his circumstances.
At no point in the last few weeks has he came out saying he doesn't want the job.

Liam Fox is at the club "helping with training". Fox will be in.

Looks like it will be Martindale going by Twitter this morning. 

Undoubtedly has played a massive role in turning the club, and team around, but essentially having one man doing it all will end in disaster at some point. Levein at Hearts being the classic case, very close to home. 

1 hour ago, Afro said:

Undoubtedly has played a massive role in turning the club, and team around, but essentially having one man doing it all will end in disaster at some point. Levein at Hearts being the classic case, very close to home. 

Don't really see this as a big problem. Presumably this would be the case with any club without a director of football?

I'm more concerned about it not going well as it would leave a massive hole at the club. 

Martindale now came out and said he wants the job basically. Says he's happy for whatever happens as he wants what's best for the club - says he turned it down 2 and a half years ago as he had no Premiership experience and felt it wasn't for the best for him to go in blind on it. He'll get the job, I'm relatively sure of it now.

Will be interesting to see how the press, Livi and Martindale himself handle his past under the spotlight.

He's already proved himself to Livi fans but this could be a tough few weeks/months once he does get it.

7 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Don't really see this as a big problem. Presumably this would be the case with any club without a director of football?

I'm more concerned about it not going well as it would leave a massive hole at the club. 

I think we’re essentially saying the same thing. In the case of Martindale, presuming he does take the job, you’ve got one man in essence undertaking the manager’s job, DoF role, scouting, etc. When things go stale/wrong (I sincerely hope we’re talking years and not months in this instance) - what then? Him taking a step “back” still leaves the spectre of his enormous influence over the successor; if he leaves completely then the club loses out on someone who has undoubtedly been an integral part of turning us around. There may very well be some short-term gain, which if means staying in the league then will be viewed as a success, but longer-term it’s a tricky one. 

My own preference would’ve been someone in Holt’s mould in the manager’s position to at least offer some delineation between the two sides of it. 

He could always just take over the job for the rest of the season, see how he liked it, and maybe hand it over to Foxy and go back to his prev role. Would give Fox the experience working alongside Martindale to see how we're doing things now, making the transition into our manager a lot easier. He's been away a while now and wont have the inside knowledge he once had.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Put it this way, when the Chief Executive says this about a guy in for the job, it's as good as done I'd think:
(In response to a fan tagging him about Bartley saying playing staff would 100% back Martindale)
"I think so given Covid and the transfer window looming. In reality we can't properly interview anyone face to face and Davy knows the club inside out and the back room guys have been there since before we were relegated".

Ooft, that's a cat amongst the pigeons. 

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't think I'd take Hoppy back at the moment. While Hoppy was responsible for some of the greatest Livi supporting moments, it looks more and more like Martindale was the brains of the operation.