Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

September 2040

znT1nT0.png

I think I've kind of worked out what I want to do tactically, as I seem to have made us a lot more difficult to beat against the good sides, and then I was able to open up a bit more against Stjarnan and beat them. We're a fucking dreadful team to watch though. Oh well.

MZ4nyeG.png

Season finishes looking like this. 18 points ahead of the relegation spots, and 22 behind top spot.  Staying up was the aim, and we've done that comfortably, so I'm pleased.

I've already got a few guys signed on pre-contracts that I'm looking forward to having, so hopefully we can push on next season. 

League Cup 2041

0XMHkDU.png

Brilliant stuff. We should have beaten HK as well, not because we outplayed them (it was a backs to the wall defensive effort) but because their equaliser came in the 4th of 2 added on minutes at the end. We remain a pretty boring team to watch, but boring and effective is the order of the day. I will certainly take it.

qdyMuWC.png

nzvG5xr.png

For the first time under my management, we've made it through the group stages and are heading into the semi final of the league cup. 

Spoiler

8NaZXpM.png

Really unlucky to lose that, we defended really well and had a couple of good chances, while they were mostly hitting long shots and really didn't break us down at any point. We didn't take advantage though, and then lost 5-4 on penalties. No League Cup title for us this season.

It does look promising for the league season ahead though, we'll see how it goes. 

Transfers 2041

CUFQc9C.png

cv0D1ec.png

Outgoing players. A couple that are a shame - Hjaltsson was a big part of getting me promoted, as was Bjornsson, but none of them are good enough if the aim is to win the league, so no room for sentimentality (unless you're Richard Claridge).

yeymWo7.png

And the incoming players - all signed on pre-contracts before the window actually opened and mostly had been training with us for a while on trial, so should be able to slot in quickly.

First up, we have Viktor Helgi Skulason, a defensive midfielder. A big part of my game plan against the leagues top sides involves someone sitting in front of the back 4 doing absolutely nothing apart from breaking up play, and he can certainly do that role. He's also fine to play in centre midfield when I'm trying to be a bit more attacking, or can fill in at centre half, so useful to have him.

Spoiler

g0KmLiY.png

Suad Hrustic joins from relegated side Stjarnan to be my right back, I tried to sign him in my first season at the club, but he went there instead, so pleasing to get him. He's not attack minded at all, but solid defensively, and, as I say, that's what I'm looking for this season.

Spoiler

md3ApQ8.png

Helgi Laxdal is my back up goalkeeper. Looks fine for that job, and will probably be needed occasionally as Asgrimsson keeps getting called away with the Iceland under 21's.

Spoiler

z0vQGgq.png

Brynjolfsson is here to provide some depth on the wing. Means that I have some pretty decent options on both wings, and then someone who isn't shite as backup. Relatively limited technically, but he's fast and works hard which will do.

Spoiler

HDhspbj.png

Gunnar Baldursson is one of my other defensive midfield option, but will more than likely play regularly at centre mdifield. Great physical stats, looks good at defending. Also has 20 teamwork, which much be good. Pleased with him, should be more than capable.

Spoiler

80wi3Nt.png

Hermann Asmundsson is one of my new centre halves. He's limited, but will provide depth to the squad, and more than good enough to step in when needed.

Spoiler

o2wNOZg.png

On 19/02/2021 at 14:56, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Get the other lad back as well. Dream team stuff

Aye, next up is the second half of my all-Indonesian strikeforce, with Achmad Sukarta joining on a free transfer. He was another who asked for 1.5 grand a week, and then as soon as he was released by Gjilani dropped his demands dramatically. A lot like Kurnia, he's a good finisher, probably a better player overall but not as fast. Still, He's certainly a much better back up striker than I had last season.

Spoiler

rUcIhr6.png

Last up, my other new centre half in Steinar Hallgrimsson, Good tackler and strong, he looks pretty decent. Another one who, at the very least, is better than the players he replaces, so can't complain.

Spoiler

pCHQSe2.png

May 2041

SJ9HoYI.png

Good start against KR, but we've suffered a pretty major setback losing those two games. Granted, HK and Vikingur are among the best teams in the league, and last season we were lost by 5 and 3 against them, but still. Was hoping for more. 

Through in the cup though, even if it wasn't as comfortable as I'd have wanted.

kVur1A6.png

Early days. We have a couple of games I think we should be winning next month, so will see how we're doing after that.

June 2041

bZGj1yK.png

That's more like it. 4 good results in the league, and through in the cup, even if we needed penalties. We only created one chance against Fylkir, but we limited them to very little, and their goal was from a set piece, so pleased with that. Worst performance was an absolute disgrace of a second half against FH, but luckily we had a 3-0 lead by that point and held on, just.

Was meant to have another game, but postponed for international call ups because I'm big time. 

u7yVHiR.png

5th, but with games in hand which could see us into 4rd. HK and Breidablik are running away with it a bit so far.

July 2041

Mid Season transfer window opened, and I brought in one player, Kjartan Sigurdsson, a centre midfielder. He's technically very good, and ticks basically all of my boxes. If I was being picky, his physical stats aren't great, but there's always a reason guys are kicking about the Icelandic league.

Spoiler

0RBaz1Q.png

THtTN6I.png

Those first two results were particularly good, on the basis that between those 2 games, I had 11 men on the park for about 15 minutes. Once again, we fell short against the big teams, but we're beating the wee teams with ease. I think we're sort of establishing ourselves as the worst good team in the league, if that makes sense.

Enjoyed that 100% of my goals were scored by Indonesians this month. 

HKujzXh.png

6 points behind top. I think this season is now just a case of trying to secure a European spot, and (at least) making the cup final, if not winning it. 

Not totally chucked in the towel though, but I can't see it. 

Icelandic Cup 2041 - Semi Final

Spoiler

bwY8eed.png

As before, I don't usually bother much with cup semi's, but the final is later in the month so here we go. It was pretty straightforward,  early-ish goals and just controlled the game from then on. Sends us into the final for a first chance at major silverware for a while - we'll face Vikingur Reykjavik. 

Icelandic Cup 2041 - Final

Spoiler

tiwKnhT.png

Ah pish. Our plan to completely nullify their attack mostly worked, but we didn't offer anything in attack. I was pleased with that to be honest, I thought we could take it to penalties and see what happened, but it wasn't to be. No cup win this season.

August 2041

20g49EO.png

Apart from the cup final, a very decent month. 3 wins and a draw from our 4 games, including a win against Breidablik. Can't ask for much more than that.

RPq2Ii0.png

For now at least, we're in 2nd place. We've also now picked up more points than we managed last season, with 6 games left. 

Difficult to know where the title race really stands with everyone having played different amounts of games, but we're certainly in the race. An unexpected pleasure.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

September 2041

VAP3c4y.png

The draws against Vikingur and Fylkir effectively ended our shot at winning the title, but it was a pretty decent end to the season.  We had a last minute winner disallowed against Vikingur too, absolutely devastating. My team were absolutely fucked with the schedule of 5 games in 11 days, and completely ran out of steam in the 0-0 with KA, but it's been an excellent season overall.

cfItYrs.png

And we're going into Europe with a third place finish. 

I can't help but think what might have been. If the last minute goal against Vikingur had counted, then we'd have been looking to win on the last day to wrap up the title... As it was we were already 4 points behind them and had nothing to play for. 

Still, onto next season. Silverware of some kind is an absolute must. 

League Cup 2042

mu2i1xO.png

Another season, another league cup group stage. I think we've played HK in every single season of this. But anyway, 4 wins against the teams I expect to beat, but comprehensive wins, and then a draw with HK.

v2oBmKX.png

HK drew with Kordrengir to let us go through. The other teams going through are Fylkir, Breidablik and Vikingur R, so that's fun.

We'll face Breidablik in the semi final.

Spoiler

lhrHWYn.png

And for the second year in a row, we go out on penalties in the semi final. We didn't come close to winning this game, so oh well.

Transfers 2042

GTZg1fH.png

NLpXdsQ.png

Ax58iwG.png

Not really fussed about any of the outgoing players, but here they are. I would have cared a lot about Agustsson leaving if I was planning on hanging around and building something here, but once I win the title I'm out of here and he's currently not my first choice right back. The board accepted the offer anyway. 

H6wBXhE.png

Once again, plenty of new faces and I've ad a bit of a raid of IA's squad, so lets get to it.

Birkir Blaer Gestsson is a centre midfielder, and (like quite a few of my new players) he's here to provide depth to the squad. He looks fine for a defensively minded midfield player.

Spoiler

BiUOAU9.png

Bjarki Sigurgeirsson is here to play left back. Clarke, who had been doing that last season, seems to be just about finished as a player so I needed someone. and he's it. He's a good defender, not much else but should do fine.

Spoiler

9rnZgJ8.png

Benony Armannsson is the best of my signings, I think, and so he should be given the amount I spent on him. Here to be one of my centre halves, he looks vert solid, no real weaknesses and should be a good addition to my first 11.

Spoiler

L3acXJ5.png

Kristmannsson is my next best signing, as a right winger. He's very quick, and very good with the ball at his feet, although his final ball leaves a lot to be desired. Still, I think being able to take the ball past people and being so quick should allow him to be an asset.

Spoiler

3DuEWer.png

Kamil Maslany is my new goalkeeper. He's looks great. Wasn't a position I was particularly planning on upgrading, but he's certainly better and if he can save us a couple of points then it'll be well worth it.

Spoiler

ihHCXKX.png

Pall Leosson is here because he's a) a pretty decent left back and b) can cover lots of different positions if I need him to. Very good teamwork too, which is nice.

Spoiler

ZzY38Tm.png

Stefan Logi Masson is a good centre midfielder, pretty defensive but always useful to have that. There's no great deficiencies in his game that would stop him being effective there, so pleased with that.

Spoiler

nTeHHPg.png

Hermann Ragnarsson is an attacking midfielder, who can also play up front if needed. He's good technically, and young so plenty of room to improve. He rejected Breidablik and Vikingur to come here, so I like him regardless. 

Spoiler

6K1XvKK.png

May 2042

wXwCk7B.png

What an absolutely ludicrous start to the season Kurnia has had. He got 10 league goals last season, and he's on 9 in our first 3 games this. Ridiculous stuff.

Can't ask for more than that, even if we have been playing some of the league's weaker teams.

4MJ0uyx.png

Usual suspects around the top of the table, will need to build on it from here, but I'm encouraged by how we're playing.

June 2042

mfUvtFb.png

Busy month, and Kurnia got injured in the Fylkir game so we've struggled a bit with that, but we're still unbeaten in the league even if we have been drawing a lot. We should have beaten Breidablik - they played most of the second half with 10 men and we just didn't take advantage. Still, 3 wins and 4 draws in the league, and through in the cup - not a bad return.

HSCmiKF.png

It's tight at the top, but we're still in there. Need to win a couple of games against our title rivals in the return fixtures, but we're doing ok.

July 2042

I'll start the month with my only new signing - 24 year old striker Enrique Montserrat. I've only signed him because both Sukarta and Kurnia are currently injured, and I need someone. He's a good finisher though, bit of pace and a good first touch. Hopefully he can score a few goals and be worth it, but even if not he means I'm not fielding incompetent youth dross or playing someone out of position so that has to be an improvement. 

Spoiler

ip2ryF6.png

Y953mNf.png

Only two league games this month, which we won, but it's been very busy nonetheless. The entirety of our European exploits happened - we did pretty well to beat Lithuanian side Suduva, but Honved of Hungary were much better than we were and probably should have been more than 2-0 on aggregate.

We also go into the final of the cup for the second year in a row. The other semi final is still to be played, but it'll be either HK or Vikingur, neither of whom I've had much success against...

h6wRp2h.png

Fourth, but with games in hand over the team ahead of us. Really frustrating that there's 3 unbeaten sides in the league thus far. I'll need to beat some of the teams above me to have a chance, but we'll see how it goes. 

Icelandic Cup 2042 - Final

Spoiler

FFZxjGg.png

We've won some silverware! An extremely tense game, we probably didn't deserve to win but we defended pretty well and took our chances when they came. I did think we'd fucked it when they equalised well into extra time, and we then missed 2 of our first 3 penalties but we only missed 1 of our next 7 to win 7-6 on penalties. Kamil Maslany had a fantastoc game in goals as well, got a match rating of 8 which is probably the best I've ever seen for a goalkeeper on FM. Vikingur had won the last 5 bits of silverware available in Iceland, so good to stop that run.

I'd also say that goal, even if it was a penalty, makes signing Enrique Monterrat well worth it.

DHz8bf0.png

00uvcs0.png

August 2042

VW5yrRt.png

Well, that went well. I said I needed to pick up some wins against the teams around me, so beating Vikingur and Fylkir are absolutely huge. We had an amazing 2 minutes against Vikingur and then Fylkir got a guy sent off (wrongly) to give us a real help, but 6 league wins out of 6 and winning the cup. A brilliant month. Kurnia is back as well, and got the winner against KR, that should help in the run in.

ft9KciV.png

We're top as things stand, but we won't be in Breidablik win their game in hand. As always, it's difficult to know what's really going on with different amounts of games played for everyone.

Our run in looks like this...

0yU1MFE.png

I think IF we beat Breidablik, we'll be champions assuming everything else goes to plan. 

Matchday 19 - September 2042

Spoiler

c5985jv.png

eaZZUc2.png

First and foremost, our win is huge. HK are having a poor season, by their standards, but are still a team I tend to struggle against but we never looked like losing, and we were unlucky not to get another goal when they cleared one off the line. Vikingur did what I would have expected them to do by beating bottom side KA, but second bottom Valur drew with Breidablik, doing us a massive favour! Probably should have beaten them too.

kDqerFD.png

Although they both have games in hand, that game in hand is against each other so I'm in the driving seat here. 3 games to go.

Up next: Breidablik.

Matchday 20 - September 2042

Spoiler

GjIuyGK.png

jTTqA15.png

f**k sake, that's thrown a real spanner in the works. We didn't play well. Losing to 10 men simply isn't acceptable, and we need a hand from somewhere else now.

CTtwWNF.png

Still top, but goal difference means that no matter what happens in the game in hand we'll be going into second, unless someone fucks up before that.