Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

November 2083

TVxGwyD.png

Not the best month, with a couple of losses against teams around us in the table and getting dumped out the League Cup. Absolutely thrashed Carrick Rangers though, which was nice. 

Another negative was that Brian Collins, my top scorer with eight, has torn his hamstring and is out for the next two or three months. Far from ideal.

6btDliB.png

It's still tight in the middle of the table, as I expect it'll be for much of the season.

I'd like to think we've already done enough to avoid any sort of serious relegation bother though, so that's something.

India

6hc4QLr.png

We had 10 men for 77 minutes against Nepal, so great to still come through that with a victory, even if it was far from convincing. And another solid win over the Maldives followed.

uinKfDa.png

I'll call it now, we'll be playing in the next round of the qualifiers.

Hooray for me. 

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

October 2083

DAZWK0o.png

Good month. We were 4-1 up against Dungannon before nearly throwing it away, but managed to hold out in the end. Glentoran the only real negative, but they are a side who haven't finished outside the top two in the league for 30 years, and have won the title 24 times in that period - so fair enough really.

Portadown are pish, and pleased to still be in the League Cup where we'll be playing Linfield in the quarter final.

ZwsDjGE.png

That's the first third of the pre-split season done now (plus one game) and we're doing pretty well. It's very tight between 3rd and 7th, so still not sure where I think we'll finish - top half is the aim this season, and then see what happens in the European places playoff.

As I mentioned above, Portadown are an absolute gang. They've conceded at least two in every single game so far.

India

2LbgCju.png

A good win in the world cup qualifier against Bangladesh, although it's a game we should be winning every time. And then a friendly win over Northern Mariana Islands - a side who aren't affiliated with FIFA and who appear to be one of the worst international teams on the planet.

utqfH7L.png

Should be something of a procession from here. 

Even worse than San Marino or Andorra 😂😂😂

December 2083

gz6p5zy.png

Well, despite losing my top scorer goals weren't really an issue for us this month, but were incredibly poor defensively. We were 4-1 up against Crusaders before letting it slip to 4-4 and then grabbing the winner. Loughall are a lower league side, so no surprises there.

Linfield was one of those games that happens against the better sides - they just blew us away and were five up by half time. Same player got all five, and is currently having this as a season...

Q5bVWOr.png

I'll take the rest of the month. Should have held on for a draw against Dungannon, but oh well.

SNezkpi.png

We'll be solidly midtable, which is nice.

Shout out to Portadown. Desperate that their first points of the season don't come against me. 

January 2084

I'll start off with the transfer business, and we had quite a few guys out the door.

kOSZyw1.png

ayKTIc1.png

Absolutely none of them are losses, other than from a squad depth perspective. I punted Mullen because, despite being a player who never plays, he had a clause to match my highest earner and I'm not paying him that much to never play. Larry Brown had potential to be a good striker but I have younger, better players too so I'd rather stick with them.

Incoming we had just the one, left winger Robert Woods who joins on loan from Cliftonville for the rest of the season. He's here to provide cover. A decent enoygh player I suppose. Lee Forde also made his stay permanent.

Spoiler

CM3baJd.png

ZVe9dRp.png

A very busy month, and we've struggled a bit with the schedule of playing twice every week and most of my squad are absolutely knackered. We managed to keep the points ticking over and stayed in both cups, so that's something but our only league win coming against Portadown isn't really good enough, particularly with a loss against Glenavon thrown in there.

ErZ57sO.png

Three quarters of the season done, and we're in a direct fight with Glenavon to grab the final top six spot. Ballymena are also hovering just behind looking to sneak in.

February 2084

NXoLoy7.png

Another busy month, and overall I'd say a good one. Just the one loss in the league, against a Linfield team we always lose to, and put out the Irish Cup, but we made the final of the Mid-Ulster Cup and got a few important wins in the league too. The draw against champions-elect Glentoran was also a very good defensive display.

tB7xk0w.png

So, one more pre-split fixture and we're a point off the top six behind Glenavon. Who's our final match against?

OgXNYGo.png

Win and we're top six. Nice and simple.

March 2084

y83uWD2.png

A nonsense match. They scored after dominating the opening stages of the game, and then we went up straight from kick off to equalise. From their kick off, they gave us the ball, gave away a penalty and we scored from the rebound.

Job done though.

IJAovna.png

Top six guaranteed, and we're currently sitting fifth. We'll be in the European places playoff no matter what, but have little chance of doing anything other than try to secure fifth.

We also have the Mid-Ulster cup final coming up.

India

8w62jWS.png

We're really not a very good side, but we did enough in these games to secure our passage through to the final stage of the qualifiers.

sUzpWAa.png

One more game here to go, and then we'll find out who we've to play to try and reach the world cup.

Mid-Ulster Cup final - 2084

Spoiler

K2Fh4oQ.png

A really shite game of football, we scored after about 30 seconds and then didn't bother doing anything for the other 119 minutes. Was worried as we've missed a fair amount of penalties this season, but no mistake in the shootout to grab the cup.

k2cVGGZ.png

SDtWJYK.png

First piece of silverware here, ideal.

I did enjoy this sentence though, as if the two are comparable...

n4RHcR6.png

April 2084

CnopK0i.png

Tough time post split for us, particularly the game against Glentoran which was frankly embarrassing stuff.  Linfield and Cliftonville both got late winners against me - had we avoided those then it would have looked a fair bit more respectable.

ycBEtx8.png

RGKUzWS.png

I said after the first month that I'd be delighted with fifth, and I am. Just need to see how the playoffs go, and we could be in the Europa Conference Legaue.

Cn9VOI2.png

That's good stuff.

On another note, Portadown made their season a bit less shameful after the split with seven points but that's still one of the worst seasons I've ever seen. 115 goals conceded, just 21 scored, 34 defeats and only eight points. It's no quite Brechin, but it's close. 

European Places Playoff - May 2084

Crusaders won the cup, so it'll be us, Larne, Glenavon and Cliftonville entering the European Placed playoff. Cliftonville are, or at least should be, heavy favourites to qualify, but we'll see how it goes. It's all one leg matches with home advantage for the higher placed team, and we'll be playing Larne in our semi final.

Spoiler

zLmLom4.png

Ideal.

Very much deserved as we dominated throughout and Larne had no real chances to score during the game, so that's nice. Good times to score as well with stoppage time in both halves. 

Onto the final...

49IVw5G.png

Can we do it?

Spoiler

b2X4u8r.png

Nah, pumped. A step too far.

June 2084

0TUbOa5.png

Another routine victory in the qualifiers, and a friendly win too. We seem able to completely dominate these games but have a tough time actually breaking down teams and getting goals. Oh well.

DtljIrb.png

Comfortably through to the next stage, where we'll be facing...

itRZy6C.png

A tough one. I should be at least the fourth best side, ahead of Syria and Singapore, but China, Japan and Iran will be extremely tough.

Fourth place still has a chance to qualify, so that's the target.

Transfers 2084

Cbq5YXU.png

n1l2Wvp.png

WdSKHTr.png

Absolutely no losses in there. Good to get quite a few younger guys out on loan, hopefully they'll develop a bit and be useful for future seasons should I need them.

ARrHHd1.png

AtjNhi9.png

And some good incoming players, hopefully.

First up, we have Blaine Magee. A left winger who can also play on the other side, he's a decent enough player and provides a good bit of depth on left wing and cover elsewhere too. I struggled a bit with that last season as the guys I had to put in whenever we had injuries were shite, so good to have him.

Spoiler

X9elBPv.png

Graeme Nesbitt is a right back, and again he can cover in other positions along the backline. He's defensively solid, doesn't have much going forward but it's very difficult to find fullbacks at this level who are actually good at that so I'll take what I can get. Should be fine. 

Spoiler

fOJpNFi.png

Stephen McMenemy is an attacking midfielder on loan from Linfield. He's a very technically gifted player, in a position we really needed to strengthen and which I always find is crucial to my success, Hopefully he'll be good for the season.

Spoiler

u561Xpb.png

Jonathan McGivern is a right winger, and I think he's better than my coaches think he is. He's good a decent delivery, technique and can beat a man, and he's got reasonable pace too. Work rate isn't great, but hopefully he'll do enough in an attacking sense that it compensates.

Spoiler

COPgpU4.png

Declan Donnelly is a dreadful TV personality striker, and I'm very pleased with his signing. Frankly, by the standards of Northern Irish football, he should pish it. Has all the attributes to be a real weapon at this level.

Spoiler

qkXT0qZ.png

And finally, I've brought back Jonny O'Hare for a third loan spell with us. Left back, you all know the script with him.

Spoiler

qkXT0qZ.png

We're not good enough for a real title challenge this season - the aim is European qualification.

July & August 2084

I05YcRH.png

A tough start - with both of last seasons top two to begin with - and then a really disappointing loss against Ballymena. We've managed to get our season started with a comprehensive win in the League Cup and a good win over newly promoted Newry City.

Plenty of improvement to come, hopefully.

3rpp3ht.png

Need to really get moving up this table soon.