Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

Champions League - Third Qualifying Round - August 2119

Spoiler

qjK14GE.png

A good win, but it could - and should - have been by more. Very frustrating that we held on to our initial leads for such short periods of time. But we got the win in the end, and three away goals will be helpful too.

Spoiler

ywJwiy7.png

Almost a repeat of our game against Sturm Graz at home in the last round - down to ten men in the first half, but got a goal anyway and, despite an equaliser, we held on to get through.

WScitl2.png

That'll be a very tough test though.

Still, we've got Europa League football as a minimum. Lovely stuff. 

Bulgarian Supercup - August 2119

TW827X4.png

Lot of absolute shite. We were the better team throughout this game, and yet we conceded a late equaliser and then we lost it on penalties.

Still, the positive is that we weren't totally outclassed by them, which has often been the case, so I'm hopeful that that's a good sign.

Champions League - Playoff - August 2119

Spoiler

oYBBZJv.png

I think that we've missed our chance of going through. We were the better team, and should've taken some chances, but we never and I don't think we have it in us to go to Belgium and win, unfortunately.

Spoiler

bs3K3gR.png

I didn't think we'd win over there, and we haven't unfortunately. If I'm honest, they should've won more than 1-0 so there's no hard luck story here.

GWWS49O.png

And we've been given this as our Europa League draw. A really difficult group.

August 2119

xwUxXnG.png

In amongst all that, we also got beaten off CSKA-Sofia, unfortunately, and gave Arda a bit of a doing. CSKA had upped their game from the Supercup and were comfortably better than us - a real shame.

JjlGVOA.png

It's not been the ideal start, but I think we'll have it in us to shoot up the table in a bit - we're still a good side. 

September 2119

e7YFxzj.png

Well, the one that stands out is that we got absolutely thumped in Newcastle. They're not the Saudi-backed Newcastle United we know now in this version, but they're still a very decent team and won the Conference League last season. It was 1-1 at half time, but they upped it in the second half and we couldn't handle it.

Decent enough stuff domestically, although we should've beaten Lokomotiv Plovdiv as well.

uHUdTjL.png7

We sit midtable just now, but as I say, I am still confident that we'll move up the table.

0cKEDVU.png

And no surprises there either. 

October 2119

J7NMtzn.png

Pretty decent on domestic stuff, but we're quite simply not up to it in the Europa League. There's no shame in that - it's good teams that we're playing against - but I was hoping we could be more competitive.

QZXa9jw.png

I'm frustrated that the one time CSKA look to be having a shite season it's not us taking advantage, but we'll see how it goes.

qSp1Kuq.png

And aye, we're out of our depth. 

November 2119

5BLA5Qy.png

A really good month for us. Three comfortable wins in the league, progress in the cup and we got our first point of our Europa League journey in Croatia. We also lead against Newcastle for a while and looked very good, despite ultimately losing.

I'll certainly take it.

wEJIGUe.png

It has us into third place, not far behind the leaders. Not bad considering how the table looked just a few games ago. Plovdiv having a shocker this month.

XXNpa7i.png

And we're officially out of Europe, which is fine. One more game to go when we welcome Rangers. 

December 2119

LdEPunU.png

Well, on the one hand we didn't win any league games and on the other we dumped Rangers out of Europe, so it's impossible to say if it was a poor month or not.

We're still in the cup though, that's something.

ycZx6uh.png

We're going to need to have a better time of it after the winter break if we're going to win the league.

CSKA-Sofia being this poor, and us not taking advantage, is a huge frustration.

pyq0lrB.png

And we're out of Europe. As expected. 

February 2120

5ei1569.png

First thing is the transfer window was open in January, and I had a couple of outgoings. Nikolov was never getting into my team, so I cashed in on him, largely to fund the signing I'll talk about shortly.

Vladimirov is a bright prospect, so hopefully getting some top flight game time (even for a dogshit team) will help.

5cb5lhN.png

I know that it looks like I've spent three season's worth of transfer budget on one guy, and that's because that's exactly what I've done. I've only paid about 7 million up front, with the rest due over the next couple of seasons. Anyway, he looks like an excellent player - really technically gifted, and has everything I'd be looking for in a central midfielder. At only 20, he has room to develop further, and I think there's a chance we'll make a profit on him.

Spoiler

bz4OP7e.png

3NHPkTe.png

A better month on the pitch, but we're still not being clinical enough or killing games. We really should have beaten Cherno More, but just weren't good enough in front of goal.

dGpUyaA.png

And it means that we're not going to win the league this season. Too many draws have fucked us. 

March 2120

Cpgd6iV.png

Best month we've had in a while. Cruised it against Tsarsko and Etar, which is to be expected, but we also got two hard fought wins against Levski and Botev Plovdiv, which could be big at the end of the season.

rD5HaFq.png

We've given ourselves an outside shot of the title with those wins against Levski and Plovdiv. We'll have to play both of them again, starting with Plovdiv, and a win there will have us just four points behind with four to play. A tall order still, but doable with some help. 

Matchday 27 - April 2120

It's do or die here - win and we're still in with a chance, anything else and it's definitely game over for us in the title race.

Spoiler

XTJNXsG.png

A wonderful performance, and we thoroughly deserved to win the game. Other than our goal, neither side created much but we defended brilliantly to stop them from having any chances. 

We're in the title race!

aDVxJFv.png

OM3MILf.png

Beroe, the other side with a chance, also won, and we're still third. Realistically, we probably need to take 12 from 12 here to have any chance, but it's not necessarily beyond us.

Matchday 28 - April 2120

Spoiler

qwfKxfw.png

tLnr9SD.png

The Plovdiv derby has given us an in, and we've taken full advantage. Still have Beroe to face, and that's up next for us - in the league, we have the second leg first. But still, I said we needed 12 from 12 so we've started perfectly.

AZsjnkU.png

A win over Beroe and it's definitely on.

Bulgarian Cup semi final - Second Leg - April 2120

Spoiler

C3MvjnX.png

And out we go. We did well in this game, and probably should have won it in the 90 minutes, but our performance in the first leg came back to haunt us.

Focusing on the league anyway.

Matchday 29 - April 2120

Spoiler

xw7SGGX.png

Ok, I'm getting excited now. We were the better team, although we did have to hang on a bit in the end, but very much deserved the victory here, and Kamenov made it 21 for the season which is some effort.

aTLHTj2.png

And Botev Plovdiv simply do not want to win the title, as far as I can see.

naQzQ9V.png

We were 10 points behind Botev Plovdiv in third four games ago. A remarkable turnaround/Falkirk-2021-esque collapse from them. 

Matchday 30 - May 2120

Spoiler

g8PT3HK.png

qjdZpHl.png

Fucking hell we got away with one there.

We were the better side against Plovdiv, and we really should've beaten them, but we didn't and it made the day waiting for them to play their game a bit nervous, but they also played out a draw thankfully.

God bless Mihail Vasev.

psmpZzA.png

If we beat Montana in our final game, we will be champions.