Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

Matchday 32 - May 2122

Spoiler

QgLq2dZ.png

On the one hand, throwing away a 2-0 lead in a potential title decider is very frustrating. On the other, with the way the game panned out, we didn't deserve to be 2-0 up - our goals were a free kick that the keeper spilled to our player to tap in, and a ludicrous attempt at defending a cross by them.

But all in, it keeps the title race open, if outwith our hands.

avsMZd6.png

Aye, we need a favour from someone. 

Matchday 33 - May 2122

Spoiler

2VSkrOF.png

It's an opportunity missed, but coming back from 2-0 down is a good effort. Cada coming on to make a difference again, something he's done repeatedly for me. Some boy.

5XDqSQu.png

Now just one point in it.

Matchday 34 - May 2122

Spoiler

QOoAbYw.png

We did our bit, but we're going to need a favour from Boleslav on the final day. 

Great stuff from Kincl with the hattrick as well. Up to 14 league goals for the season now - not bad going. 

54E6Hdp.png

There's no way we can win the league without winning our final game, but if we do and they don't, then we're champions.

A slim chance is still a chance.

Matchday 35 - May 2122

It all comes down to this

Spoiler

vCsfhk7.png

A comprehensive job done by ourselves. A weird game, they had basically the same amount of chances as we did, but we just took ours while they never.

But, as stated, we were having to keep an eye on events in Mlada Boleslav.

Spoiler

pEKOmxf.png

FJfTT12.png

OR6vNpY.png

An absolutely sensational effort from the Boleslavv lads.

That said, this run of form from Slavia quite simply does not deserve to win a title.

5EYx0y3.png

NbAp28I.png

A great effort. I was concerned all season that the amount of draws we had would cost us, but we got over the line in the end. The perfect season for us to do it really, given that we got a point more than this last season and came third. Sparta Prague got 83 points one season and never won the league, which is a good laugh to be honest.

wmHMI1G.png

And so I'm away - and up next is Greece. 

LTqAqFd.png

I'm off to the Croatian capital and Lokomotiva Zagreb. They're such a massive deal that the list on wikipedia of major sports clubs in Zagreb doesn't even mention that they exist.

KBOLajA.png

I've been to Croatia, but not Zagreb, but it was nice. I do recall thinking that there was an alarming amount of nazi-themed graffiti, but other than that. Again, maybe Zagreb isn't like that so who knows. 

In real life, they've spent the vast majority of their existence in the lower reaches of the league system, but they have had some success in more recent years since linking up as a feeder side to Dinamo Zagreb - the actual big team in the city. In game, we've been runners up in the league on five occasions, third placed on 10 and lost six cup finals - but have no major honours to their name. Last season (and the season before) we finished second bottom, but only the bottom side goes down and we've been a stalwart of the top flight for over 100 years now.

Croatian football is completely and utterly dominated by Dinamo Zagreb - they're only a few seasons away from making it 100 league titles in a row. They also win almost every cup - Osijek are the only other team to have won a couple throughout the save, and they've only got about 4. A total nonsense of a situation to be honest, but oh well. They routinely get high 90-100 points per season, in a 36 game season.

Based on all of that, and the fact that we're still officially a feeder club to the club I'm trying to topple, makes me think this'll be one of the bigger tests of the save. Here we go!

NK Lokomotiva - Meet the team

Four stars is a good player for most HNL1 sides, 3 is a leading player for the division below

ncOmRpj.png

Hajdarevic is by far the best striker I have - and I have an awful lot of them. That's the first thing I noticed, the squad is fucking massive. There's a couple of decent enough back up players, but most of this squad isn't up to it. Angulo is heading back to Young Boys from his loan very shortly, so probably need some more depth of guys who are actually half decent.

dpew7n5.png

Improvements to all of these positions would be nice. All of these guys are pretty much playing at their peak as well, which isn't ideal, so I would need to look into bringing in some players here.

DxN6ofn.png

Given that Hajdarevic will be playing up front, I need better in here. Bockaj is only 22, so if I play him he should develop at least, but I do need more in here.

HF9Bawu.png

Strongest area of my team. I'm pleased with that and don't see any need for immediate recruitment, unlike with basically everywhere else.

TT2HaQp.png

6CyhbGQ.jpg

Not only having seven goalkeepers, but all of them are shite.

Transfers 2122

kNOHMLA.png

oPUOde1.png

439hrOW.png

That's the first part of my clear out, but there's still plenty more to go. The only one I'd have liked to keep is Aydin Gunay, who is exceptional, but my hands were tied there as they met his release clause.

9EEKxjo.png

And far fewer players coming in.

George Nica is a goalkeeper who is coming in to be my number 1. Long term, he won't be good enough but he's certainly an improvement on what I had and getting him early allowed me to focus on other areas of my squad.

Spoiler

mRm2SBD.png

Ive Mohac is a centre half, who is my replacement for Gunay. He's not as good as Gunay, undoubtedly, but he's still a decent enough defender. Not good on the ball, and not great in the air, but good tackler, solid marker and he has a bit of pace and doesn't switch off. About as good as I could hope for.

Spoiler

oriHOms.png

Filipe Mendes is a striker. He's a good finisher, and good on the ball generally. He could be better in terms of his movement, and he's not the quickest or the best in the air. But he's still a decent enough player for the level we're at. Takes a lovely penalty too.

Spoiler

KnRKUgx.png

Roman Korinek is the pick of the bunch, and is a central midfielder. He's probably the one who I would expect to feature in my team long term, and the first step towards building a team that can compete. His ability to get around the pitch is his main strength, and he's decent enough technically as well.

Spoiler

rNlpSVn.png

Damir Tkalcic is a right back, and is here to allow me to play my strongest centre back pairing together rather than having to shift one of them out. He's great physically, but not technically. Still, he'll do a job for a wee while.

Spoiler

GtxLUkn.png

July 2122

aoqiL6f.png

A couple of draws to start us off, but Gorica and Hajduk are both among the better sides in the division from last season so I'll take that.

rhzA7gR.png

And that's where we are at this early stage.

August 2122

x2WtvGi.png

Got the first win under my belt at home to Rijeka, which was absolutely lovely.

Rest of the month was the kind of form I sort of expect, couple of losses to the better sides and a few disappointing draws. The one thing I have noticed is how much smaller our crowds are than the other teams.

MqY93Hn.png

I would be delighted with fifth. 

September 2122

jtrD8TC.png

Mixed. A second win was nice, but a really heavy defeat at Gorica followed, and frankly they deserved more than four. The cup game was nice and easy, and we were minutes from a win against Istra as well. So mixed, but I'll take it,

xXsegJ8.png

We're midtable, as I expected, but getting a sense of how big the gulf between the top two and the rest is. 

October 2122

cKT7E06.png

We continue to be absolutely massive fans of drawing games, but the pick of the bunch is unquestionably getting a draw at home to Dinamo. They're a far better side than anyone else in the division, so a very enjoyable result - even if we rode our luck.

AKc2qO7.png

And we sit nicely midtable, although we've played more games than most of the teams around us.

The main thing is we have a lovely cushion ahead of the side in tenth. 

November 2122

ceQNXUw.png

A good month. Started with a very comfortable win against the worst side in the league, but then we managed a very good one against a good Osijek side.

The game against Varadzin was abysmal and nothing happened.

LpFyGJs.png

And it leaves us nicely fifth, but we look nowhere near getting dragged in to a battle at the bottom.

December 2122

Pioy3V3.png

A wild cup game. We went two goals up in the first half, and were in complete control but then absolutely chucked it away in the second half. Not to worry though as we strolled up the pitch, got a penalty and went through regardless.

A bit fortunate against Gorica but I'll take the point.

yYn4voq.png

That's us until the end of January.

January 2123

8JL0YuC.png

The job of attempting to trim the squad down continues, although most of these are loan deals. I would expect a few of them to lead to permanent moves though.

Just the one player brought in, and it's 28 year old Abel Olarte. An attacking midfielder, he's very technically gifted and can take a sensational free kick. He's not the hardest working player, and he has a tendency to switch off so I can't rely on him defensively, but I think in that space behind my main striker he'll do well.

Spoiler

miCsrXT.png

htQIfIt.png

And we return to action with (very deserved) loss against Rijeka.

ha1pKer.png

It sees us drop out of the top five, but oh well.