Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

On 13/08/2024 at 18:29, Miguel Sanchez said:

Five European qualifiers in a ten team league is some laugh. What does the coefficient table look like now?

C413OSj.png AGsRJSx.png 7bRfirD.png

The entire top six in Scotland get into Europe. Portugal are surprisingly low as they've had two separate Champions League winners in the last five seasons. 

Transfers 2125

jxnYRE0.png

9FwUnnB.png

ErXIEly.png

An absolute ton of young players heading out on loan, and a few guys who had been first team players but weren't good enough anymore being released. And my second choice keeper and Petko Georgiev away too - Peric made one league appearance in seven years, and Georgiev was only ever here for the season.

Pusic going is the only noteworthy one - he was young and probably would have gone on to be a very good player for us, but wasn't quite there yet, and seven million quid is a decent offer.

PcYSlHJ.png

MkrWO6P.png

And the incomings.

Jovan Belic is a Serbian central midfielder who's been a key player for a pretty good Rijeka side over the last few seasons. He's really a ball winning player, but he's also capable of playing a good pass and carrying the ball a bit. Cost me a wee bit, but looks worth it.

Spoiler

hZumpQ7.png

Olivier Rajoarimanana (Madagascan names are like that apparently) is a centre half joining us from PSG. He's passable on the ball, but really good off it. He's never really broken through at PSG (obviously) but he's had good seasons in Ligue 1, Czechia and Croatia on loan. 

Spoiler

1E7Az0d.png

Mihailo Novovic is a familiar name - he was my number one in Poland at Zaglebie Sosnowiec. He's here to be second choice. He's certainly better than Peric was, and if he's required then I trust him to do a good job.

Spoiler

a4ANwHP.png

Jan Chleboun is a left winger. He's been a regular in the Czech top flight for a long time now, and has one cap for the national time. Very quick, and technically good. Pleased with him.

Spoiler

nel2EKE.png

Rafael Herrera is a back up midfielder, who is on his way down as a player. He made over 400 appearances for Rangers and has 23 Mexico caps, so in his day he was clearly a good player, but he's 37 now and is here to bolster the squad a bit. Technically still excellent but his legs are going.

Spoiler

tuw74Rb.png

Cristian Mitrea is a young centre half, and he's here in the Petko Georgiev role to be back up. He's probably a better player than he was, but won't play too much if things are going well.

Spoiler

8pFR0Vj.png

Oswaldo Ignacio is a fabulous player. He's here to be my attacking midfielder, rather than through the middle where he's probably best, but he'll do very well regardless. Technically gifted, outstanding vision, quick and strong. He'll go on to be excellent.

Spoiler

0angehQ.png

Europa League Playoff - August 2125

Spoiler

TWViBos.png

Perfect.

They are, in all honesty, a slightly better side than us, but we took our chances and they never.

All to play for in Belgrade.

Spoiler

iUIANX9.png

YASS.

We did nothing after the early penalty, and Andrej Prsa had a phenomenal game, but it's seen us through to the group stages. If we had a dodgy keeper, they'd have won about 5-1.

August 2125

KKk0HvW.png

We thumped Zapresic without managing to score, and we missed a 93rd minute penalty against Hajduk, but we're still playing well so I imagine that we'll get back to winning ways soon enough.

am4faZl.png

It's still going well, despite the slight falter. 

September 2125

I3Y95HC.png

Well, I can't really ask for more than that.

The win against Dinamo was obviously the most eye-catching and pleasing result, but we've been excellent across the full month. The away win against Zwolle was another highlight, but I also really liked the cup win where I played almost an entirely changed 11 from the league game and we were still great.

dvUbAfC.png

Assuming Dinamo win that game in hand, it's still a three point lead. Very slender, obviously, but a better position that we've ever been in before.

qTJYe3E.png

And the away win at (I would assume) the weakest team in the group is nice, but tough tests still to come. 

October 2125

gkTx9Od.png

The domestic stuff was good, the continental stuff was less good. We're just not quite up to it against opposition of the calibre we're facing there, which is fine as obviously the domestic stuff is my priority, but a shame none the less.

GznLqZ2.png

Not a massive lead, but a lead nonetheless.

QbD4Qq9.png

If we can beat Zenit at home, then we have a chance to get through,, but it looks more than likely we'll be looking to secure third and the Conference league against Zwolle. 

November 2125

FYAqT39.png

Another victory for us against Dinamo and a draw with Hajduk, who I'd expect to be the other challengers for the title, means we stay firmly in the driving seat. Delighted.

On the European front, we lost to Zenit - perhaps a bit unluckily - which consigned us to third at best, but that game against Zwolle made up for it. Almost every chance we had was scored, and we just looked stunning. Eight goals in any game not to be sniffed at, but to do it in European football - Lovely.

Ar87C2f.png

We're building up a really healthy lead here, and I'm very hopeful that this'll be the season.

6B1baJQ.png

And we drop into the Conference League. Oh well.

Also, I signed a guy this month. Stjepan Katic. He's a striker, he's here for the season and is only here because I was fed up of not filling my bench. He'll get minutes here and there, but realistically he's fourth choice.

Spoiler

VUYiMpU.png

December 2125

BC0wrRU.png

Dire, dire stuff. Our performances, especially against Rudes, were actually fine - fairly good in fact - but we haven't been taking our chances at all. Beating Dinamo (again) in the cup, having been a goal down with 12 minutes left was a good laugh, but those league results are really bad.

LWZAMk9.png

And it sees our lead reduced fairly significantly. We need to get back to form after the winter break.

AwV1IXc.png

And no changes here.

Europa Conference League - First Knockout Round - February 2126

After dropping into this competition, we're playing PAOK - currently sitting second in Greece, and were champions as recently as two seasons ago.

A tough test, but we're clearly a good side, and we can win this.

Spoiler

gwgyWI5.png

We can count ourselves extremely unlucky not to be heading to Thessaloniki with a lead. We thumped them, and had a winner disallowed, but 1-1 it finished, and we'll need to get the job done over there. 

w3pwSNt.png

But just look at that. Absolutely pumped them.

Spoiler

DGG1IPz.png

And thankfully we haven't been made to regret that first leg. A header in off the bar from big Pasalidis (a man who spent 12 years with their archrivals Olympiacos) was enough to see us through, and the European adventure continues...

7t7iuEb.png

It's a tip to Belgium next.

February 2126

nPTb4LK.png

We f**king chucked it against Hajduk to take the shine off an otherwise fantastic month. The main thing is we're back to playing well though, and that augurs really well. 

V9PE834.png

If we win our games in hand we'll be nine points clear, which is getting towards the 'insurmountable lead' territory.

Europa Conference League - Second Knockout Round - March 2126

Spoiler

ONlPdMG.png

A wonderful second half performance. Their goal was a bit of a howler from our keeper, but it happens, and we got what we wanted in the end.

Spoiler

Sc6oGRU.png

And the job is done in Belgium. We're a better side than them it turns out. Wonderful stuff.

JXpxlFk.png

Swiss opposition next. I think we should be better than them too, so a semi final is a distinct possibility, 

March 2126

lteYjjJ.png

A good month, and a fantastic victory against Dinamo. After barely ever getting anything against them in my previous seasons, we've now beaten them in all four of our fixtures this season - delightful.

A9n6UZl.png

Rijeka have overtaken us, but we have three games in hand. Perennial winners Dinamo having a historically bad season is lovely to see, and I think we will be winning the league this year. 

Europa Conference League - Quarter Final - April 2126

Spoiler

wcFKmHg.png

I couldn't have asked a better first leg.

The only goal that was any good was Hernandez', where he ran the length of the pitch in a counter attack before an emphatic finish. Mittelu's goal took a massive deflection - a lovely way to all but wrap up the tie.

Semi finals here we come!

(probably)

Spoiler

dqTAc0h.png

And it's job done. There was never any danger that we were getting drawn into any type of jeopardy, it's another case of us simply being the better side.

0qPSkgS.png

But this will be another matter.

April 2126

mEo91kv.png

We seem to be actively determined not to win the league. Some really poor performances in there, most notably the consecutive draws with a shite Varazdin side.

wGORjM0.png

We still have to be considered favourites, but are making it very hard for ourselves.

Our run in looks like this...

PsI5txF.png

Thankfully, we only have one game against the league's better sides in Hajduk. Sticking a match on the Tuesday before our Thursday European semi final is a good laugh from the Croatian FA too.