Conquering Europe

oneteaminglasgow

Europa Conference League - Semi Final - First Leg - May 2126

Spoiler

4qHaIyN.png

It was always going to be tough, but I think going to Germany without anything to hold on to and with one of our better players suspended means it's likely to be too much for us. The best player on the park was Prsa in goals for us, and the boy Adebayo that scored for them gets something like a goal every two games in the Bundesliga and has 70 international goals for Nigeria (in 77 caps). So clearly, they are a very strong side.

Newcastle beat Djurgardens 3-2 at home in the other semi first leg. 

Matchday 32 - May 2126

Spoiler

YSXeM2N.png

Thomas Clementa really wants that league winners medal. Some boy.

We've struggled against Hajduk this season, so ideal to get the result now.

Spoiler

CmOJEM3.png

Liborio Avalos - there is a pint waiting for you whenever you fancy, you beautiful b*****d.

5tEEf1l.png

Hajduk out of it, officially. Dinamo all but. 

We're nearly there. 

Matchday 33 - May 2126

Spoiler

qPSgWIg.png

A heavily rotated side for me (as I have the semi second leg in two days) but we got the job done in a thoroughly silly game of football. Pleasing to note that the squad I've built would still be decent in this even if I drop the vast majority of my best players.

Vg2xKCc.png

Given our record against Rijeka, I think we're one win away.

Dinamo officially out of contention. Given that this is the season they'd have made it 100 in a row, I'd have f**king LOVED to see the meltdowns at the wee team from down the road winning it instead. 

Europa Conference League - Semi Final - Second Leg - May 2126

Spoiler

f6NVzFg.png

There'll be no European glory for us, which is a shame. They're a good side, but we competed well and were ultimately a bit unlucky to go out.

Still, a semi final is no bad. 

Matchday 34 - May 2126

Spoiler

xhDdutm.png

Well, Rijeka aren't handing it to us on a plate.

Spoiler

NpJJf2V.png

But we're taking the league title anyway!

2wdSWsZ.png

A goal after 13 seconds and a missed sitter after 78 seconds were all we did in the entire game, in which Prsa got man of the match, but ultimately we're champions. 

Delighted, and with a few games to spare.

Hbzqhic.png

Croatian Cup Final - May 2126

Spoiler

K7NC4Up.png

A shite way to end my stint in Croatia. The game itself was abysmal, and then they created a chance and took it, so it happens.

evXqGZG.png

Next up is Serbia.

Oh also...

mFdMKp5.png

3IEZIhF.png

SAQgH5L.png

Some awards, and a good laugh of a record. 

SqIZtk0.png

I'm off to Sweden. There's not that many clubs in Sweden's top flight who haven't previously won the league, so I'm rocking up at Degefors IF in the town of Degefors. It's got about 7000 people in it (about the size of Stepps or Sauchie, for context) and according to the English language wikipedia page on the town, it's essentially just a massive ironworks and the most notable thing in it's history is that:

In the 1870s, a group of people native to the Degerfors-area emigrated to the Ural region (then part of the Russian Empire).

so that's good. Apparently it has a pretty interesting landscape immediately to the south of it as well.

The team themselves bounce between the top two leagues pretty regularly, and finished as high up as third placed in the 2080 season. Their greatest day came in 1993 when they won the Swedish cup. I'm also going to be the second Scottish manager for the club, as they were managed by some guy called Dave Mosson between 1983 and 1985 and then, inexplicably, again from 2002 to 2004.

It's currently our second season back in the big time, having finished 12th last season (out of 16). 12th is also the position we find ourselves in upon my arrival.

egFwKOq.png

Swedish football is a bit more spread out in terms of the clubs that dominate it than the last couple of places I've been. It's largely dominated by a big three of Malmo, Kalmar and Hammarby, but Djurgardens were champions last season. In any case, I've got to achieve the lofty heights of mid-table nobodies before I think about toppling them.

Here we go. 

Meet the Team - Degerfors IF

4 stars is a good player for most Allsvenskan sides, 3 is a good player for most Superettan sides

GnQ8AiB.png

Two pretty good options up front in Jonuzi and Motycka, the latter of whom I signed way back in my Zaglebie Sosnowiec days. No depth whatsoever though.

UMiOwRV.png

Really not very good. I'm simply unable to field a midfield where every player will be good enough for this division, which isn't ideal.

xNVAmQk.png

Defence is a wee bit better than my midfield, but it's still not ideal. At least I have a selection of decent players in each position.

W8GUqp8.png

And we have an adequate goalkeeper at number 1. 

September 2126

ln0OTy5.png

First month in charge, we lost against the half-decent teams but picked up four points against the (other) pish ones. I'll take that.

kZTs360.png

Six points ahead of the relegation playoff spot, and it's only a 30 game season.

We should be fine.

October 2126

First up, I've started my squad building. It's too late in the season for it to make any real difference, but I'm hoping that it'll lead to a better year next time. Anyway, it's Damir Tkalcic who was my right back for a while at Lokomotiva. He fell out of favour by the league winning season, but still a good player. Basically solid at every facet of the game without being spectacular at any. But he's definitely an upgrade and will do us a job for the next couple of seasons. 

Spoiler

Nl5p4Xk.png

z26koAB.png

We're no very good. Mostly playing against reasonable enough teams, but still.

p3IuF4K.png

jAqywtI.png

One win from my nine games in charge?

The Simpsons Animated GIF | The simpsons, Giphy, Do gif

November 2126

0pnjZzi.png

And another loss to see out the season.

That makes it one win, three draws and five losses for me so far. A stellar start to my time in Sweden.

WRcHAlC.png

Osters won their playoff so are staying up. We'll need a good amount of improvements to the squad before next season. And that's what I'll be setting around to now. 

Transfers 2127

jvde3gl.png

scNtBIX.png

pvHZnwT.png

KZ37ABa.png

gAg8e9v.png

Genuinely, I barely know who half these guys are, so can't really comment on whether I care that they've left.

N1oS2GY.png

JNAjIVn.png

The incomings are more interesting.

Adam Kochan is an attacking midfielder, a full Slovakia international and joins as the most expensive of my summer signings. A decent technical player, and young enough to improve, he also fills a hole that I had in the side last season.

Spoiler

8BlYKn8.png

Kujtim Hyseni is one of a number of central midfielders I've brought in, as that was a real weakness last season, and he looks a player. Should excel in a role sitting in midfield and dictating play. Don't think he'll get many goals or assists himself but will play a big role in the lead up to them.

Spoiler

ofgi8OL.png

Lovre Budisin-Jurjevic is another in the same mould. I think he'll likely end up being backup to Hyseni, but he's a capable player in his own right. He can also (theoretically) cover at left back, but I wouldn't ever want to be in the position of having to play him there.

Spoiler

WoO5lsE.png

Gaetan David is a Portuguese centre half who inexplicably turned Atalanta down to sign for us. He's young, raw and inexperienced but has the makings of a really good player for us for a number of seasons, and the fact that big teams were looking at him demonstrates his potential. Will be a mainstay in my defence.

Spoiler

nbJJ5fD.png

Radomir Surlan is my back up striker, and has everything I'd want from him - a good touch, good finishing, a bit of pace and he's decent in the air as well. Will be an asset to the team.

Spoiler

LTzc1CP.png

Slobodan Ivetic is your stereotypical Balkan headcase defender. Mostly solid enough, but looks like he'll have that streak in him of attempting to decapitate someone every so often.

Spoiler

MmeLQhV.png

Jonas Kack-Lagerback is my final central midfielder, and is a bit different from the other two in that he's very much a 'break up play, give it to someone else to do something' type of player - but I really needed that, and he was about as good as I could hope for in that regard. Only 19 as well.

Spoiler

0Ye0gUD.png

Finally, we have left winger Sandro Controverso. He's not at the required level just now, but I needed cover on that side and he has potential to be very useful if he fulfills it. Has all the basics of a winger covered.

Spoiler

1yNkLAB.png

So there we have it. The team I've built is very much focussed on attempting to stay up, and maybe push for midtable, but nothing more than that at this stage. 

Swedish Cup - February & March 2127

The Swedish Cup is an odd competition. While the league season runs April to November, the cup operates on the more traditional August to May format, with the first couple of rounds in July/August, then a group stage, quarter finals and semi finals in February and March and the final in May. I've no idea if that's what happens in the real world too, but it seems odd.

Lfp4Vfq.png

Anyway, we showed up pretty well in the groups, with victories over the two sides in the league below and a draw against AIK, who finished last season 21 points ahead of us. Only the top team go through, and with a fairly poor goal difference we were needing a hand from elsewhere.

vZ8s260.png

Which we got as AIK slipped up against Landskrona. So we go marching on into the quarter finals...

yVzfrmv.png

Where we're away against current cup holders Kalmar. 

Spoiler

iziUJOm.png

Who saw us off very, very comfortably, to be honest. They probably should have had more than two, and we very rarely threatened them so it was effectively game over after three minutes.

Still, a decent showing from us in the cup, and bodes well enough for the season ahead. 

This remains one the all time great threads on this forum.

I like staying away from it for weeks at a time, nothing beats the thrill of your last look being an underdog title challenge in Montenegro, before returning to find out we're now in somewhere like Sweden via Ukraine and Slovakia.