Scottish lower league football locked down for 3 weeks

16 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Young athletes (and all those involved in any club) have been prevented from doing their job with, what I can see, little to zero evidence that their actions are detrimental to the fight against covid. I am genuinely shocked that people seem so happy to accept that. Banned from doing their job.

There are lots of people in lots of workplaces across the country 'banned' from doing their job and 'banned' from lots of other aspects of their life right now. Footballers are entitled to furlough pay like the rest of society so they aren't exactly going without. PT players mixing in 1 job with Joe public then going into their club with no testing is seen as a risk! Its not that hard to comprehend. All restrictions by the government have been set by the level of risk and I'm sure this is the same reasoning behind this decision by the spfl.

Your right, football is not life and death so I'm sure we can live without it for a few weeks, and if everyone does their bit to help lower the levels of the virus, im sure we will see it back sooner rather than later.

9 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

There are lots of people in lots of workplaces across the country 'banned' from doing their job and 'banned' from lots of other aspects of their life right now. Footballers are entitled to furlough pay like the rest of society so they aren't exactly going without. PT players mixing in 1 job with Joe public then going into their club with no testing is seen as a risk! Its not that hard to comprehend. All restrictions by the government have been set by the level of risk and I'm sure this is the same reasoning behind this decision by the spfl.

Your right, football is not life and death so I'm sure we can live without it for a few weeks, and if everyone does their bit to help lower the levels of the virus, im sure we will see it back sooner rather than later.

Yes sorry I should’ve clarified, testing needs to be mandatory. The fact that we were ever allowed to train and play together without at least once a week testing is incredible and a complete oversight. If it’s a financial thing where clubs can’t afford to test, then fair enough - only after a real suppression should league restart in that case 

Yes sorry I should’ve clarified, testing needs to be mandatory. The fact that we were ever allowed to train and play together without at least once a week testing is incredible and a complete oversight. If it’s a financial thing where clubs can’t afford to test, then fair enough - only after a real suppression should league restart in that case 

There will probably be clubs in Leagues 1 and 2 who will want to null and void the season if testing is made mandatory.
Irrespective if it’s the right thing to do....

7 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

There will probably be clubs in Leagues 1 and 2 who will want to null and void the season if testing is made mandatory.
Irrespective if it’s the right thing to do....

Do you have any evidence of League 1 clubs favouring a null and void option?

Do you have any evidence of League 1 clubs favouring a null and void option?

I can’t see above where I have claimed that I have?
However both the additional costs and the lack of supporters through the gates as well as being able to cancel contracts may make that decision easier for some clubs.....
NB. Of course the fact that some clubs are near the bottom of the table and the Likliehood of a reduction to 18 games may also be a factor....

17 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I can’t see above where I have claimed that I have?
However both the additional costs and the lack of supporters through the gates as well as being able to cancel contracts may make that decision easier for some clubs.....

Sounds similar to last year when Falkirk fans told us clubs would be looking to mothball. Lets just see what happens eh?

10 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Does that mean if one club say they can't afford it, the division  they are in would remain suspended?

49 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Does that mean if one club say they can't afford it, the division  they are in would remain suspended?

Wouldn’t think so.

Testing isn’t extremely expensive, just a small extra cost. If one club couldn’t afford it I’d hope there’d be some Loan/grant or clubs coming together to allow that club to test, for the good of the game to continue in this exceptional circumstance. 

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

Wouldn’t think so.

Testing isn’t extremely expensive, just a small extra cost. If one club couldn’t afford it I’d hope there’d be some Loan/grant or clubs coming together to allow that club to test, for the good of the game to continue in this exceptional circumstance. 

It isn't expensive? You've had Skyline Drifter, a guy actually involved at a club doing testing saying it could cost between £2-3K a week depending on how many players and staff you need to test. 

41 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It isn't expensive? You've had Skyline Drifter, a guy actually involved at a club doing testing saying it could cost between £2-3K a week depending on how many players and staff you need to test. 

Was that not at the start though? I've seen quotes on here claiming that testing is now very much cheaper. Could be a lot of pish of course.

2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Was that not at the start though? I've seen quotes on here claiming that testing is now very much cheaper. Could be a lot of pish of course.

I have no idea what a test costs. I'd say having 20 players plus staff tested won't be a minor cost that is simply taken care of though, otherwise we'd have been doing it from the start.

32 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I have no idea what a test costs. I'd say having 20 players plus staff tested won't be a minor cost that is simply taken care of though, otherwise we'd have been doing it from the start.

I've no idea either. If testing was a lot more expensive to begin with though then that would presumably answer the question re testing straight away? Even at, say, £50 a time though then you're looking at well over a grand a week if only testing once. That's an expense that every lower league club would want to avoid and many couldn't afford.

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

I've no idea either. If testing was a lot more expensive to begin with though then that would presumably answer the question re testing straight away? Even at, say, £50 a time though then you're looking at well over a grand a week if only testing once. That's an expense that every lower league club would want to avoid and many couldn't afford.

You could be right, aye, I just don't see the cost of testing reducing so much that clubs are happy to absorb that cost now. I'd agree anything reaching the £1,000 mark will put clubs off.

It's not just cost, it's the practicality of testing part time players who can't remain in a bubble to the degree full timers can.
There's a motivation that isn't being fully expressed in some of the recent posts.

They are only in a bubble if they spend all their time together. Once they leave training they are as much at risk as the rest of the population going about their normal daily lives.
They are only being tested to allow them to play if the test is negative and haven’t been in close contact with someone who tests positive. Even then, there is no guarantee that they don’t have the virus a day or two later when the game is played.The test doesn’t prevent someone from catching the virus.

1 minute ago, jagsfan57 said:

They are only in a bubble if they spend all their time together. Once they leave training they are as much at risk as the rest of the population going about their normal daily lives.
They are only being tested to allow them to play if the test is negative and haven’t been in close contact with someone who tests positive. Even then, there is no guarantee that they don’t have the virus a day or two later when the game is played.The test doesn’t prevent someone from catching the virus.

Get away, thanks for that.

34 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Not really. A full time player can be tested on a Thursday and basically kept in isolation until the game on a Saturday. A part time player potentially would need to attend another work place on the Friday. There's clearly more risk for the part time players.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Not really. A full time player can be tested on a Thursday and basically kept in isolation until the game on a Saturday. A part time player potentially would need to attend another work place on the Friday. There's clearly more risk for the part time players.

Wait, do you and @Sergeant Wilsonthink the top leagues are operating in bubbles?!

3 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Wait, do you and @Sergeant Wilsonthink the top leagues are operating in bubbles?!

They are able to facilitate a greater degree of separation of the players from the general public than part time teams can.

Whether the players stick to it is a matter of club and self discipline, but a full time player doesn't have to go to work when he's away from games or training.

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

There have obviously been breaches of protocol, I'm not denying that.  On the whole I think the majority are working as they should be. Anyway, my point was that full timers are quite obviously at less risk of being infected than part timers.