Ayr vs Hearts - Friday Night Football

5 hours ago, DC92 said:

You don't have to be that good to get into the top six. Add a solid centre-half and a ball-winning midfielder and I'd be confident enough with the current squad.

Getting back to challenging for top 3/4 is a different matter and we'll need a fair bit more than that. Hopefully some of the new signings we made last month are the start of that.

We've also played 2nd and 3rd in the premiership this season and done well. Improvement is needed clearly, but we have some players that would easily get a game for most top flight teams. Full backs and goalie for instance are easily good enough for top 6.

We are better than Dundee United and they are only a point off the top half. 

I think as well that people claim we are ignorant about the Championship because we don't know what other clubs strengths and weaknesses are might be missing the point that we do know what's required for the top flight.

3 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

people claim we are ignorant about the Championship because we don't know what other clubs strengths and weaknesses are 

Strengths: making up the numbers

Weaknesses: football

Edited by SEETHING

17 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I do think Robbie takes some unjustified stick, along with the fair comments.  Clearly he's got a massive budget advantage this year, but he also cruised the championship with the 3rd biggest budget last time we were in it, so he's clearly not completely tactically clueless.

Same with the Hearts are a poor team stuff we see after every game.  Clear there's some strengthening to do ahead of the Premier league, but I don't think we're talking about a whole new squad to get in the top 6

Would agree with this, 3 or 4 additions at most and we'll comfortably be top 5. We beat the team currently clear in 3rd and took the team in 2nd to penalties this season.

Many of those commenting to the contrary are grossly overestimating the quality of the premiership I suspect.