Premier Relegation spots

Just curious, is there a possible scenario that could see 6 EOS Premier clubs relegated at the end of this season, ie exactly a third of the league?

For the purpose of this scenario, lets suppose the lower leagues do get the green light to restart.......I've already entered fantasy land territory, this I know.

FWIW, I suspect there wont be a playoff further up the leagues involving a tier 5 overall champion and club 42.  Call me cynical.  But if it did, and if Kelty (for example) lose to either the Highland champs or the club likely to be bottom of League 2 (Brechin), the Lowland would remain at 17 with the almost guarantee of a team being promoted into it.  If the licensed WOS champion, ie Clydebank or Darvel (both trying to get license in time), was to prevail against the EOS champion - and potential SOS champion too, the Lowland would then be at 18 clubs and we know they intend to reduce to 16.

VOL and Edinburgh Uni would likely finish in bottom two spots, and geographically both be sent to the EOS Premier - which would then increase to 20 teams.  This  which would presumably increase further to 22 clubs with the addition of the two EOS Conference champions being promoted into it.

Would they honestly look at binning 6 sides from the top league - which as a one off I would sympathise with, or would they attempt a more pragmatic approach - relegate 4 for example and remain at 18, with the hope that things wouldn't repeat itself next year, and then they could return to the optimum 16 clubs. 

Infact, thinking out loud, what if Brechin had a mini resurgence and Albion Rovers for example fell out League 2 but not replaced by the Lowland Champion.  That would add yet another side to the Lowland and a potential 23rd club to the EOS.  7 sides to be relegated - surely not!

Yes I know, all very hypothetical, and unlikely too so don't need anyone jumping on the bandwagon re that, however the EOS have a duty to plan ahead for the worst possible doomsday scenario and what consequences that could have throughout their pyramid.

Potential crazy times ahead - if we ever get the go ahead!

Edited by Bundesliga Boy

7 hours ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Just curious, is there a possible scenario that could see 6 EOS Premier clubs relegated at the end of this season, ie exactly a third of the league?

For the purpose of this scenario, lets suppose the lower leagues do get the green light to restart.......I've already entered fantasy land territory, this I know.

FWIW, I suspect there wont be a playoff further up the leagues involving a tier 5 overall champion and club 42.  Call me cynical.  But if it did, and if Kelty (for example) lose to either the Highland champs or the club likely to be bottom of League 2 (Brechin), the Lowland would remain at 17 with the almost guarantee of a team being promoted into it.  If the licensed WOS champion, ie Clydebank or Darvel (both trying to get license in time), was to prevail against the EOS champion - and potential SOS champion too, the Lowland would then be at 18 clubs and we know they intend to reduce to 16.

VOL and Edinburgh Uni would likely finish in bottom two spots, and geographically both be sent to the EOS Premier - which would then increase to 20 teams.  This  which would presumably increase further to 22 clubs with the addition of the two EOS Conference champions being promoted into it.

Would they honestly look at binning 6 sides from the top league - which as a one off I would sympathise with, or would they attempt a more pragmatic approach - relegate 4 for example and remain at 18, with the hope that things wouldn't repeat itself next year, and then they could return to the optimum 16 clubs. 

Infact, thinking out loud, what if Brechin had a mini resurgence and Albion Rovers for example fell out League 2 but not replaced by the Lowland Champion.  That would add yet another side to the Lowland and a potential 23rd club to the EOS.  7 sides to be relegated - surely not!

Yes I know, all very hypothetical, and unlikely too so don't need anyone jumping on the bandwagon re that, however the EOS have a duty to plan ahead for the worst possible doomsday scenario and what consequences that could have throughout their pyramid.

There was the guarantee of 4 down to get back to 16 and allow 2 Conference champions promotion.

The most extreme version after that was 3 down from the LL who would also be going back to 16 and the EoS Premier champion failing to win promotion. 

That would allow for 7 relegated teams from the EOS Premier. It wasn't likely to happen with Dalbeattie stuck in the bottom 3 of the LL regardless of how playoffs went. 

Anything between 4 and 7 is quite brutal maybe a more phased approach would have been better. Suppose the question now would be, is finishing the season realistic bearing the mind we would need at least 2 weeks training before restart. 50% completion may be do-able but I think SFA/Scotgov will be very wary of a public backlash if we return too early with players/committees etc travelling all over between counties. Interesting times ahead

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There was the guarantee of 4 down to get back to 16 and allow 2 Conference champions promotion.

The most extreme version after that was 3 down from the LL who would also be going back to 16 and the EoS Premier champion failing to win promotion. 

That would allow for 7 relegated teams from the EOS Premier. It wasn't likely to happen with Dalbeattie stuck in the bottom 3 of the LL regardless of how playoffs went. 

If you delayed the number of clubs relegated from the Premier this year, it just would of kicked it on to next season with the First Division relegating more than usual. 

It was optimistically a one season fix caused by 2019-20.

None of the scenarios will please everyone, it is what it is I guess.
Im thinking 50% completion is most likely but null and void creeps closer with every week that passes. Some teams have 9/10 games minimum to even achieve that. I cant see us restarting till maybe April at best unless there is a dramatic change in circumsatnces

8 minutes ago, Auld duffer said:

Anyone know how it will work if we go to 50% completion if some teams have played each other twice already due to games being re-arranged, will those games be factored in or taken out the equation

I believe they will all be taken into account. From the bits and pieces i've seen/heard there's not yet been the suggestion of wiping games that have been played.

Thanks for that I hadn't seen anything, not sure how many teams it would affect but I suppose it's not just relegation end of table, would prob have consequences at top end aswell

I believe they will all be taken into account. From the bits and pieces i've seen/heard there's not yet been the suggestion of wiping games that have been played.

11 minutes ago, Auld duffer said:

Thanks for that I hadn't seen anything, not sure how many teams it would affect but I suppose it's not just relegation end of table, would prob have consequences at top end aswell

I think part of the thinking was that if the you're coming back and only schedule games for playing each other once, it would leave a lot of clubs idle. Then with potential postponements it could get even messy.

By still having 2nd games against teams they can schedule say an 8 game run for everyone so it would be the same start and finish. The focus on getting the first time fixtures played and having the 2nd games be top v top and bottom v bottom as much as possible to work a bit like a split.

That may well be all out the window.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/02/2021 at 00:27, Bundesliga Boy said:

I thought the doomsday scenario was actually 7 relegated. 
Your explanation cheers things up for one club - whoever they may be.

Imagine finishing in 7th from bottom and being relegated. Brutal!!

Edited by Malty Guy
Ooops spelling

On 15 February 2021 at 11:06, Auld duffer said:

Anyone know how it will work if we go to 50% completion if some teams have played each other twice already due to games being re-arranged, will those games be factored in or taken out the equation

They will be taken out

On 11/01/2021 at 12:09, Truthteller said:

That’s the season finished because the covid 19 issue won’t be gone in 3 weeks.
All the leagues will have to be voided and hopefully started again in August 

So which lower Premier club are you connected to Truthy?  best go back into hibernation, fishing isn't great this time of year.

Highly unlikely this would happen, but I'd like to see a seeded pre-season mini play-off tournament involving the bottom four clubs from the premier league facing the top two sides from each of the conferences.  Two winners would play in the Premier league next season.  It would give everybody a fighting chance with something to play for, and perhaps even have fans in to watch.