Next Ayr United manager

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Anyway enough hijacking, I hope Ayr get a decent candidate to take the club forward, as long as it isn't Petrie. Good club.

I was at Kilbowie as a neutral for Simon Stainrod's first game in charge in what- 92? 93? Huge Ayr support there that day and the fedora-wearing Yorkshire showboater came on with about 20 minutes to go to an adoring reception. Didn't work out as he signed loads of duds and it ended bitterly.

Exciting times though, I was a season ticket holder who went home and away, however you would turn up on Saturday and have no clue who was playing as there was almost a new side appearing every week, it was certainly different !!

Is there something about Petrie that I'm missing (and I may well be), however in reading the past few pages I've got the impression that he's being seen as some sort of Mourinho or Ancelotti but would only appear to have taken Montrose to a League 2 title as his major highlight.
Not saying he's useless or anything but surely would be much more of a gamble than the likes of a McIntyre or a Hopkin type character ???
Montrose were generally finishing near the bottom of league 2 before he took over.
Now they are in play off position in league 1 ahead of Partick etc

Excellent improvement in their fortunes.

3 minutes ago, davidkennedyshand said:

Montrose were generally finishing near the bottom of league 2 before he took over.
Now they are in play off position in league 1 ahead of Partick etc

Excellent improvement in their fortunes.

That's fair enough, I was genuinely interested as to why people were rating him so highly but that would explain it. Obviously no guarantees he would replicate it at Ayr but then again there's no guarantees with any Manager irrespective of their pedigree or track record elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, rb123! said:

Gus McPherson gone to 3/1!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fucking hell.....

https://mcbookie.com/event/468231/next-permanent-ayr-manager

I wouldn't be worried, I'd be surprised if much is leaking considering I was talking to someone you'd expect to know and they only knew one person who had been interviewed, cards being kept close it appears. 

46 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

That's fair enough, I was genuinely interested as to why people were rating him so highly but that would explain it. Obviously no guarantees he would replicate it at Ayr but then again there's no guarantees with any Manager irrespective of their pedigree or track record elsewhere. 

It would be useful to know from a Montrose fan if there has been an increase in budget at Montrose or whether he has achieved this with roughly the same money for the playing squad that his predecessors had. If it's been done within the same budget then it's certainly impressive.

Does anyone know what his job outside football actually is?

You could probably find a post of mine somewhere of me saying I'd have Hopkin as Dundee manager, but you'd be hard-pressed to find one since his Morton tenure began. Now I wouldn't steer close.

Hopefully he does enough, want to see some Ayrshire derbies next season.