Wrestlemania 37 Week

forameus

I reckon the chances of a ladder match have been and gone. They could have one for the US title I guess, but with the guys not booked so far, I'm not sold that it's actually gonna happen.
Almost certain after the backstage bit on Raw last week that Riddle vs Sheamus for US title at Mania is confirmed tonight.

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They need to punt the MITB PPV and bring it back as a Mania match. Have just one for the guys with folk from both brands and one NXT guy (have qualifiers before Mania and the final on the Takeover before Mania). Not too many folk; limit it to 5 or 6. They could do the same with the women's one. Have one each night if they're going to be sticking with the 2 nights.

But the main thing they need to do is sort out the absolutely shite storytelling, or lack of storytelling. There are no long term builds and there are no good builds. Matches are chucked together last minute. It all massively diminishes Wrestlemania. It's not a culmination of storylines. It's just another PPV. 

They've managed to bungle Edge for f**k sake. Twice actually, but this time is worse. An easy story and they're fucked it so badly that they've had to add Daniel Bryan to the match.

Sadly true.  They've always been guilty of chucking stuff together once the final PPV is over before WM, but usually they put one or two storylines fairly long term.  The easiest thing in the world is surely to have someone win the Rumble, pick an opponent, and then build a couple of months towards that.  But they've properly bungled that. 

The one exception is Wyatt/Orton.  Obviously not everyone's cup of melted Bray, but that has been an uncharacteristically long build.  Can only presume they've handed most of the control over to those involved, otherwise it'd have never made it this long.

So after RAW, how much has changed for the show?  Pretty much f**k all.  Looks like Sheamus vs Riddle in another stipulation-less one-on-one match.  But don't worry, surely Shane vs Braun will have some mad stip, right?  It's Wrestlemania, you've got to have something like that.

Oh.  A cage match.  Yay.

EDIT: Looks like Sheamus and Riddle is official, so added that.  I assume there's a couple of matches to come to fill things out, but Jesus Hogan Christ, this is a really uninteresting card.

Edited by forameus

1 minute ago, forameus said:

So after RAW, how much has changed for the show?  Pretty much f**k all.  Looks like Sheamus vs Riddle in another stipulation-less one-on-one match.  But don't worry, surely Shane vs Braun will have some mad stip, right?  It's Wrestlemania, you've got to have something like that.

Oh.  A cage match.  Yay.

At this point they'd genuinely be as well just playing any number of clips of Shane falling off shit rather than have a dreadful match that will be built around the inevitable spot of him going off the top or side of the cage through a table.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

At this point they'd genuinely be as well just playing any number of clips of Shane falling off shit rather than have a dreadful match that will be built around the inevitable spot of him going off the top or side of the cage through a table.

It's just so unimaginative.  Shane is clearly game for doing pretty much anything, to his detriment.  He probably shouldn't be on the card over more deserving members of the roster, but he's always going to be.  So if that's true, make it a stipulation that actually gives them scope for Strowman to do something with him.  Hardly comparable opponents, but I expect they could get Shane to do something similar to the King of the Ring match with Angle.  He'll happily kill himself.

But no.  Let's confine them to a ring and have Strowman throw him off the walls a few times.  Then no doubt a fight to the top and Shane falls off to "win".  And that's the only match that isn't vanilla in the entire two nights?  Fucking yass.

If I thought they were going to emulate the Vince/Austin cage match then there'd at least be hope. But Shane is going to have way more control than that here. And it'll be boring as f**k.

But it's probably one of the most boring looking matches over the two shows. If not a surefire bet to be the worst match of the weekend. 

Surely has to be something like that.  They like to get as many as possible on the card, and pretty much every match so far is a singles match.  Unless they're trying to keep as few wrestlers as possible in the building, but you'd think with a crowd there's little point in making savings elsewhere.  Plus you can half the roster per night within reason.

Although I suppose having 20 or so people in a ring probably isn't the most Covid-safe option they could have.

Don't know what you're all fucking greeting about.  We've got the huge crossover appearance and match sorted already, and it'll keep the tradition of these matches alive.  Mr T, Lawrence Taylor, Mickey Rourke, Floyd Mayweather, Butterbean, Shaq...they'll all likely pale into insignificance with the appearance of Bad Bunny.

At the risk of being an, 'old man yells at clouds' type, there is genuinely no stars on that card. Reigns comes closest to it, but are any of those guys or gals for that matter, household names?

McIntyre is another maybe to being one, but it's a weak damn roster in terms of being 'known' even if they are quality wrestlers.

It's an interesting point.  Even last year had the first match back of Edge, Goldberg, Undertaker's last, Brock.  Year before you had Rousey, Brock, HHH.  This year it doesn't look like Brock will appear (although there's still time), or HHH, or Rousey, or Undertaker, or Goldberg, or anyone considered a special attraction, or a big return.  Maybe they're keeping their cards close to their chest, but so far it's just going to be a normal PPV x 2. 

I don't think I'd have McIntyre there. I'd put Edge in the upper bracket though. It shows a huge failure from WWE in their ability to create stars. They've got guys with mic skills, charisma, decent looks and all sorts and they're completely clueless as to what to do with them.

I'd say Lashley and McIntyre actually HAVE been used reasonably well, and with more time in front of crowds, the latter will probably push up into being a proper big star. 

That there's no Mania feeling is a HUGE failure on WWE's part.