St Mirren v Hearts

7 minutes ago, DC92 said:

The last time we got off to a great start in the Premiership was 2018 when we won 8 of the first 10 games. The last time before that was 2015 when we won our first 5.

Also, Graham Rix has never been in charge of Hearts for the start of a season.

Apart from that, great banter!

Tbf , I wasn't really drawing attention to how well the Hertz start their league campaigns. 

More so their ethical standards over the last 25 years, but you really knew that didn't you.

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Tbf , I wasn't really drawing attention to how well the Hertz start their league campaigns. 

More so their ethical standards over the last 25 years, but you really knew that didn't you.

Would you say you're disappointed at today's result?

Former club owner makes '£200m' Liverpool and Steven Gerrard 'regret' claim  - Liverpool Echo

This thread is a tough read - utterly tragic posting.

Hearts well worth their win, can’t recall us forcing Gordon to break sweat at all. Midfield was far too stand-offish throughout and when Hearts moved it quickly we got cut open far too easily.

Curtis Main a positive for me - get midfielders around him and he’ll get us up the park. Shame he offers no goal threat himself.

1 minute ago, Munoz said:

In that case, thank you for highlighting the ethical implications of a managerial appointment made by a different regime in 2006 on this thread about St Mirren v Hearts in 2021.

Some might think it's a laughable attempt to deflect from your team's defeat today but that would be very unfair.

Just now, TheJTS98 said:

Would you say you're disappointed at today's result?

Former club owner makes '£200m' Liverpool and Steven Gerrard 'regret' claim  - Liverpool Echo

3pts lost that could have been gained on another day. That's football. 

Just like when the league was called after Obika's goal won us the pts to send Hertz bottom, and send Hertz doon.

I can't see St Mirren going to court over it, so I'm pretty comfortable moving on to the next game.

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, Munoz said:

3pts lost that could have been gained on another day. That's football. 

Just like when the league was called after Obika's goal won us the pts to send Hertz bottom, and send Hertz doon.

I can't see St Mirren going to court over it, so I'm pretty comfortable moving on to the next game.

So, it's definitely not got under your skin in the slightest. Great stuff.

It's always tough to lose a big game that you've spent the previous week building yourself up for and have probably spent the whole summer excited about.

But, like you say, that's fitba.

Vladimir Romanov: Who's been my favourite manager at Hearts? Me | Daily  Mail Online

We’ll that was a tough watch.

That was an average hearts team at best and they were relatively comfortable today. Kiltie and McGrath can’t play together (not a criticism of those 2 but the formation). Considering how exposed Power was I thought he was excellent.

tanser had a quiet game which I’m sure was down to hearts game plan. Must admit, I really dislike Andy Halliday but was some finish from him. Boyce was a good strike but far too easy for him to get the shot away. Pretty predictable and 1 dimensional stuff from us again… only 2 games in but I hope Goody has the ability to change things up over the course of the season, that’s 2 weeks in a row we have lost the midfield battle. 

23 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

First 25 minutes we were excellent, then we sat too deep and St Mirren got to grips with our system.

They had a fair bit of the ball in the second half but it was clearly our gameplan to allow it and try to catch them out and they genuinely done f**k all with the possession. All long balls and humps into the box, pretty much all comfortably dealt with until the one they scored from.

The introduction of Gnanduillet really helped us, he caused problems and got us 15 yards further up the park.

We had the better chances and defended comfortably despite not being at our best on the ball. Stick on red card as well, idiot. All in, correct result.

Agree with this with the exception that I don't think that middle period of the game was particularly comfortable. Ok, St Mirren didn't create anything clear-cut, but you're asking for trouble playing that deep and it wouldn't have been a massive surprise if they'd nicked one in that period.

They didn't lay a glove on us between Gnanduillet coming on and their goal so it was annoying to be hanging on at the end.

We definitely need more depth in the front three, particularly in the wide/attacking midfielder positions. I'm not sure Ginnelly is consistent enough (or consistently fit enough) to be a guaranteed starter at this level. A more athletic option at right-wing-back option than Smith would give us something different as well.

Just now, geo87 said:

We’ll that was a tough watch.

That was an average hearts team at best and they were relatively comfortable today. Kiltie and McGrath can’t play together (not a criticism of those 2 but the formation). Considering how exposed Power was I thought he was excellent.

tanser had a quiet game which I’m sure was down to hearts game plan. Must admit, I really dislike Andy Halliday but was some finish from him. Boyce was a good strike but far too easy for him to get the shot away. Pretty predictable and 1 dimensional stuff from us again… only 2 games in but I hope Goody has the ability to change things up over the course of the season, that’s 2 weeks in a row we have lost the midfield battle. 

We need to replace the quality of Durmas and the speed of Connolly. Until then, we can dominate teams all we like but it won't count for anything if we don't have a cutting edge.

Highly enjoying random Hearts fans flooding into the thread itching for a fight.

Meanwhile Saints fans all accept that wasn't a good performance from us.

Just makes those Hearts fans look a bit thirsty, imo.

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, DC92 said:

We definitely need more depth in the front three, particularly in the wide/attacking midfielder positions. I'm not sure Ginnelly is consistent enough (or consistently fit enough) to be a guaranteed starter at this level. A more athletic option at right-wing-back option than Smith would give us something different as well.

I've always had a strange position on Smith. I like him, and he does lots of things well, seems like a decent all round lad, puts in a shift etc.

But I've always felt he holds us back going forward with a lack of technique and energy. It would make a huge difference to have some actual quality on the right of the defence. But, like I said, there's lots he does well, so careful what we wish for etc.

That bench today wasn't good at all, and I hope Devlin can provide more decent cover in midfield, because I didn't feel comfortable with what we had in that regard.

But, we had some selection bother and won at a place we rarely do. So, can't complain.

3 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Agree with this with the exception that I don't think that middle period of the game was particularly comfortable. Ok, St Mirren didn't create anything clear-cut, but you're asking for trouble playing that deep and it wouldn't have been a massive surprise if they'd nicked one in that period.

They didn't lay a glove on us between Gnanduillet coming on and their goal so it was annoying to be hanging on at the end.

Sitting that deep is of course risky, but we dealt with everything they chucked with relative ease. At no point was I genuinely worried they'd score. 

Fair play to Neilson, it was obvious we were too deep and I was convinced he'd just continue in that manner, but he brought Gnanduillet on to get us higher up the park. 

Was gutted to concede when we did as we ended up far nervier than it should've been.

1 minute ago, TheJTS98 said:

I've always had a strange position on Smith. I like him, and he does lots of things well, seems like a decent all round lad, puts in a shift etc.

But I've always felt he holds us back going forward with a lack of technique and energy. It would make a huge difference to have some actual quality on the right of the defence. But, like I said, there's lots he does well, so careful what we wish for etc.

That bench today wasn't good at all, and I hope Devlin can provide more decent cover in midfield, because I didn't feel comfortable with what we had in that regard.

But, we had some selection bother and won at a place we rarely do. So, can't complain.

Regarding the midfield we definitely need more depth, but I thought McEneff made an impact when he came on.

Haring was very good IMO, we have so much more to offer with him in there. He was a bit hamstrung by his booking though.

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

Regarding the midfield we definitely need more depth, but I thought McEneff made an impact when he came on.

Haring was very good IMO, we have so much more to offer with him in there. He was a bit hamstrung by his booking though.

McEneff might work out, but I don't trust him yet. Seems the management aren't sure what we're doing in there either from the look of the squad at the moment.

Haring and Beni look like they'll be massive for us this season. I like that central area with them and Souttar. But not convinced of the depth yet.