Afghanistan Crisis

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Congratulations on being marginally on the correct side of the argument. 

Sanctions on under developed nations are always a cruel and murderous collective punishment on the ordinary people.

They think the costs are worth it

Just now, welshbairn said:

The Foreign Office civil servants dealing with it were told to leave what ever they were doing to read the the 10's of thousands of emails they were getting from people asking for help, not so they could do anything about it but so their bosses could honestly say they'd been read.

They were too busy wokeing from home

44 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Congratulations on being marginally on the correct side of the argument. 

Sanctions on under developed nations are always a cruel and murderous collective punishment on the ordinary people.

No they aren't. It depends entirely on what the sanctions are and against which individuals or organisations within an under-developed nation they are targeted at.

For example, sanctions can be directed exclusively at individuals in a regime, freezing bank accounts and the like. Thos are not "cruel and murderous collective punishment".

• 1 month later...

Pen Farthing is having an absolute heads gone on Twitter after the House of Commons released an email from Lord Goldsmith which said the PM authorised the air lift of Pens staff and animals.

Boris rejects the claim, so either he or Lord Goldsmith is lying and Pen is rather upset about it being back in the press threatening to take it further after Chris Bryant spoke about it in parliament. Parliamentary privileged surely lost on him.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Posted in another thread.m, seems confirmed this happened in Afghanistan. 

Al Queda head Ayman al-Zawhiri was killed at the weekend by a CIA drone strike in Kabul. He was in a compound owned by a member of the Haqqani Network. The son and son-in-law of the current Taliban Interior minister are also reported to have been killed in the strike, along with other Arab fighters who were based in the compound, which was 250m from the former UK Embassy.

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Posted in another thread.m, seems confirmed this happened in Afghanistan. 

Al Queda head Ayman al-Zawhiri was killed at the weekend by a CIA drone strike in Kabul. He was in a compound owned by a member of the Haqqani Network. The son and son-in-law of the current Taliban Interior minister are also reported to have been killed in the strike, along with other Arab fighters who were based in the compound, which was 250m from the former UK Embassy.

Was this boy they have killed a member of the government?

20 minutes ago, 101 said:

Was this boy they have killed a member of the government?

Al-Zawhiri? No he was the head of Al-Queda. I don’t think any Taliban ministers or representatives were killed in the strike but some of their relatives apparently were.

The missile allegedly used in the attack was an RX9 Hellfire missile which doesn’t have an explosive warhead. It kills its targets by sending blades of metal through the targeted area. Unsure how they could target something so accurately though.

Al-Zawhiri? No he was the head of Al-Queda. I don’t think any Taliban ministers or representatives were killed in the strike but some of their relatives apparently were.
The missile allegedly used in the attack was an RX9 Hellfire missile which doesn’t have an explosive warhead. It kills its targets by sending blades of metal through the targeted area. Unsure how they could target something so accurately though.
Story I read was that he was conveniently on a balcony, and no one else was killed in the strike....

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Pretty crazy thing to have developed although not blowing things up is probably a good thing. 

Although it's a strange situation that the Americans pulled out to let the Taliban form a government and have now launched attacks on their allies.

I mean it's good they killed him but ironic it comes days after Biden was posing for photos with the Saudi leader.

36 minutes ago, 101 said:

Pretty crazy thing to have developed although not blowing things up is probably a good thing. 

Although it's a strange situation that the Americans pulled out to let the Taliban form a government and have now launched attacks on their allies.

I mean it's good they killed him but ironic it comes days after Biden was posing for photos with the Saudi leader.

The Doha agreement between the US and the Taliban on withdrawal specified that the Taliban could not provide Al Queda with a safe haven in Afghanistan.

40 minutes ago, 101 said:

I think the rules of the American withdrawal were,   " Don't  hang about with Al queda or any if their daft pals".

Or words to that effect.

I like the weapon though, a combination of high tech and old school they don't like it up 'em.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The Doha agreement between the US and the Taliban on withdrawal specified that the Taliban could not provide Al Queda with a safe haven in Afghanistan.

Aye as if they were going to ever follow that agreement.

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

They might undertake to follow it sooner than we follow the NIP, that's as optimist as I would be.

That's an idea, use drones to import goods and avoid all the pesky paperwork around the NIP.

On 02/08/2022 at 08:46, Bairnardo said:
On 02/08/2022 at 08:45, ICTChris said:

Story I read was that he was conveniently on a balcony, and no one else was killed in the strike....

I liked how all his neighbours had been told to stay inside and shut their windows. 

I wasn't posting much on the forum at the time this story came up, but seeing as the thread is back up did everyone read this story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62083196.amp

In a single tour of duty, a single SAS unit killed 54 people unlawfully, including some Colombian RW death squad style use of drop weapons - interesting, given if I remember right we had advisers there when those cases were at one of their high points in the early 2010s. With this and the inquiry in Australia (I doubt we'll ever fully learn what JSOC got up to) seems that for all the news reports showing squaddies wandering aimlessly around occasionally shooting at something half a mile away we essentially spent the Afghan war terrorising and murdering the rural populace to keep the Potemkin village of Kabul going. 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

NATO operates Death Squads. US special forces were scalping Afghans.

This isn't anything new for the UK, it's how the army operated in Kenya and Malaysia in the 50s then later in Cyprus and Yemen. 

Did you listen to the RWN on Cyprus the other week?