FM22

ajwffc

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

797980656_Screenshot2022-01-27182332.thumb.jpg.736cf3210956ca7d26302373bc498dd7.jpg

It has come down to the final game.

We play AFC Telford while Gloucester play Blyth.

LET'S DO THIS.

Did we do it?

Spoiler

Did we f**k. A 2-1 win wasn't enough.

Spoiler

We beat Fylde and Boston United in the playoffs though. So up we go.

On 07/01/2022 at 14:19, Dave said:

Ahh ok, didn't know that was a rule, cheers.

Obviously conceded a VAR awarded 92nd minute equaliser in that game as well 😅 still 5 points clear of third place with two games to go so should be at least qualifying for the next stage, one win will see me top the group. 

Also sitting 2nd in Serie A on 24pts (8W 3L), two points behind Roma. Going alright so far but the last loss was against 17th placed Torino who then sacked their manager a week later, it was definitely one of those cursed moments when the pre-match review says you can go top with a win...

Summer window dealings attached below. Everything after 19/07/21 was me however I will be making Zambo Anguissa a permanent signing as he has been class so far. Disasi and both boys from Bodo/Glimt have been excellent, Berg scoring a hat-trick from defensive mid against Inter a particular highlight. Kept Hickey out on loan at Bologna to give him game time but he's not done very well and lost his starting XI spot.

Finally finished my second season at Napoli, had a rare time of it so feel like posting an update with a few photos.

I finished my first season 4th in Serie A, 10 points behind eventual winners AC Milan. I was sitting 2nd with two to go but lost the last two, one against the champions and the final game of the season against Empoli. Thankfully Sassuolo completely collapsed and lost their last 5 to help me stay in the top 4. Lost in the semi final of the Italian Cup to Juventus on away goals, and knocked out of the Europa League on penalties in the quarter finals after a 3-3 aggregate draw with West Ham.

I cleared out a lot of dross kicking about in the U20s that were too old to play there and some returning loan players that were no use to me, as well as a couple of reserves who I made a slight profit on. The only notable departure was Dries Mertens who is a club icon, but was in a huff with me in January over playing time and he signed a pre-contract with Arsenal before dropping his complaints. So here's how it went in the transfer window...

Spoiler

2223-transfers.jpg

Zambo Anguissa brought back as I said I would do, Mercurio was a youth player on loan who looked like he may develop into a backup player so paid buttons for him. Boubacar Kamara was sorted in January and easily slotted in beside Koulibaly as my starting CB pairing. Lorenzo Lucca and Dani Vivian were both recommended by my scouts, I actually scouted Dani Vivian prior to January and he was valued by Bilbao at £20m, so to get him for £1.7m as a backup prospect seemed like an easy decision. Lucca was loaned back out to Pisa to keep playing regularly. Angel Correa was the Mertens replacement, got him on loan with no upfront fee just paying his wages and a £15m optional fee which I already had in my head that I'd be exercising at the end of the year.

Jumping ahead to January, Karim Adeyemi was a deal agreed in late December because every single day I was getting messages saying Chelsea were coming in for Victor Osimhen and were going to pay £100m for him. Sure enough, Adeyemi joins at the beginning of January, so I go and offer Osimhen to clubs... and there's no interest in him. Someone said they were only willing to pay £20m for him but his in game valuation was £60m-£80m. So I was then stuck with two strikers earning an average of £100k p/w when I play 4-3-3. So I was raging that I signed Adeyemi, but that feeling didn't last long...

Gilmour on loan as I got a long term injury to Eljif Elmas who was my second choice CM. And my first proper regen poaching effort of the save...

2223-lothe.jpg

So here's how it went in the first half of the season...

Spoiler

2223-results1.jpg

The loss to Torino in October was very disappointing, especially as they were my bogey team last season as well, but aside from that I was pretty happy with how we went up until the break for the Qatar World Cup. I got incredibly lucky with my Champions League group draw, Feyenoord were by far the worst #1 seed available and I'd already played and dealt with Real Sociedad last season in the Europa so knew I could compete with them. 

After the World Cup and the return to league action... 

Spoiler

2223-results-2.png

A second defeat to Milan had me thinking the league was over, both them and Juventus had opened up a healthy lead on me. Once again dumped out of the Italian Cup, this time in the quarter finals on penalties to Roma, and a few players started raising their voices complaining we weren't going to win a trophy because I'd stupidly promised them we would.

But then, the result that really turned the season around and made me believe something was happening... Overturning a 2-0 deficit to Bayern Munich to go through to the Champions League quarters. An unbelievable performance and a 92nd minute winner that had me actually cheering in the living room. I stopped fucking about with changing my tactics and mentality, going cautious/balanced against bigger or similar level of teams, and decided to just stay attacking like I usually do against weaker teams. The results were there to see and it changed how I approached the rest of the season. 

2223-bayernhome.png

And then the run in... 

Spoiler

2223-results-3.jpg

The realisation that going baws oot in every game was worth the risk paid off incredibly with this run of results to end the domestic season. This new mentality got me two draws against Milan having lost to them both times in the league, and thankfully getting through on penalties. Victories against Lazio and Inter, and against bogey team Torino, proved that putting myself on the front foot was the way to go. The 1-0 loss to SPAL stands out, however I'm putting that down to a heavily rotated squad to give my heroes a rest following the Champions League semi final result. Once again an incredible home perfomance against Liverpool gave me a 2-0 lead, and I can't lie we were incredibly lucky to leave Anfield with only a 1-0 defeat. But it was enough to see Napoli into their first ever Champions League final against PSG, an incredible achievement seeing as we should have been papped out in the knockout round. 

Incase you couldn't tell the run of domestic results saw me finish 1st in Serie A, and in the end it was by a mile. It was a two horse race until April, but Juventus absolutely collapsed and only won 2 of their final 7 league games and even allowed Milan to catch back up to finish 2nd. Karim Adeyemi scored 15 goals in half a season, if he keeps that up going into next year then I've surely already got one hand on the trophy. 

2223-leaguefinal.png

Edited by Dave

So onto the final match of the season...

Spoiler

Napoli vs PSG at the Stadion Munchen for the Champions League Final. Referee: Willie Collum...

I watch the games with key highlights only on, and the entire first half did not return a single highlight worth showing. The second half though... 

Spoiler

2223uclft.jpg

We really rode our luck and somehow managed to take it to extra time. And in extra time...

Spoiler

2223ucletft.png

We really really rode our luck. And, once again, somehow we survive and it goes to penalties. Where anything can happen...

Spoiler

2223-uclaet.jpg

And it did. 

Absolute fucking scenes at 2:30am in my living room this morning as I celebrated a historic double. Hat tip to the Secret Shirt Company for giving me the chance to lead Napoli to this glory.

I didn't really expect to win both of these so early in the game, while there is some desire to turn them into a European juggernaut I think I'll probably play 2-3 more seasons here and go back to my usual kind of game where I start from a proper grassroots level and work my way up. This has been a lovely change of pace though so far. 

Edited by Dave

Falkirk Premiership update. I would say a solid start to the season, about where I expected to be table-wise but I am happy that I have a decent gap to the drop zone

image.png.3ef616f7a439a3f27a01f15906eb333f.png

In terms of signings, did mostly free transfers, John Lundstam was a bit of a coup while Mark O'Hara is super useful due to his versatility

image.png.6531f9e014d2dd1e6f1918fbacfffd7b.png

image.png.500aa027325c40c309c912c70449a86a.png

image.png

Broke my collarbone playing 5s last week so I’ve got stuck into a save with Roma. Their first team is really good and the transfer budget was modest so my only arrival was Nico Williams from Bilbao for his 15 million release clause after releasing a jobber or two.

There’s only 4 games to go in the season and I’ve made the Italian and Euro2 cup finals. I’m 5 points ahead of Inter in the league with them and Zebre away to play.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

image.png.e071fd489c6c7e668db88cc8cbe3c1d7.png

Hibs have a rivalry with Aberdeen in my save about 14 years in the future. Is this there at the start? I don't mind seeing it before

I am still in first season on my pyramid save so had a look at Hibs. 

Hearts and Rangers are the only rivalries at that point.

Seems you have created a new rivalry for Hibs 😂

So after making my big (flawed) British State Championships edit, it's fair to say it's shaken up the world of Scottish football.

Rangers have been pretty consistent, a pretty regular Premier League side, with a few relegation/immediate promotions mixed in.  So I assume Celtic would be the same, right?

f**k no.  Are they in the Championship, tier 2?  No.

Are they in tier 3? No...

They're all the way down in Tier 4.  The National League Two, just a step above where regionalisation starts.

1076266234_2022-02-1811_46_36-FootballManager2022.png.20a909e6e988945692c57e509555eeb7.png

Honestly no idea what happened.  They got relegated from the Premier League (where they started based on reputation) and aside from a brief treading of water in the 20s, they've sunk like a fucking stone since.  In five seasons they've been relegated three times.  Mad.  Their squad is utter w**k too, and they haven't beaten Rangers in 10 years, including this absolutely miserable afternoon

696654079_2022-02-1811_58_21-FootballManager2022.png.092fcd65a29e9826bfdcff53ee56b3c3.png

But surely they're still the second best team in Scotland, right?  

Lol.  No.  This season they'll share a league with luminaries like Arbroath, Ayr, Falkirk, Kilmarnock, Livingston and Raith from Scotland, and the international superstars of Shrewsbury, Wrexham and Glenavon.  Dunfermline, Dundee, Inverness, Dundee United and Ross County sit in the league above, and Aberdeen and Hearts two steps above.  Hibs and Rangers sit at the top table.

Almost making me want to take them on and see what the f**k went wrong.

Anyone old enough to have played Champ Man 03/04 in it's prime? It's one of my fav if not my fav manager game in my time playing them but I've only today came across the diablo "cheat" tactic while skimming through an old forum and it's intrigued me that much that I'm getting CM 03/04 on the go again to test it 😂

Edited by CM.

Diablo was probably the worst problem the game has ever had in terms of how it broke the game.  Send your CM on runs up to the strikers, and you may as well just keep pressing space such was its power.  

Was it fun though?  Aye, course it was.