Ross Stewart

Donathan

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Steve Clarke quite rightly wouldn't give a f**k about Sunderland's game against Oxford.

I was under the impression that there is a little give and take between the clubs and Steve Clarke. It would seem better to establish a good working relationship with the clubs the players come from to stop things like late call offs and so forth rather than a not giving a f**k approach and part of that would maybe be not picking a player when he has a game for their club just to have a look at him in training. 

I might be wrong, obviously I'm not in the football world.

Edited by 2426255

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He happily called up Jon McLaughlin when he played for Sunderland in the exact same league.

Jon McLaughlin only missed two Football League Trophy games and one FA Cup 1st round match as a result of international call ups during Steve Clarkes tenure while he was at Sunderland - I think the June and September games were pre season and October/Nov just when cup and replays were played.

That's not to say Steve Clarke wouldn't have called him up, but if it was an important game to Sunderland and not so important to Scotland or the player wasn't an integral team member then I think Steve Clarke would be more reasonable than just not giving a shit about the lower league club. I'm not totally sure where I've got the idea from, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least a consideration from Steve Clarke.

I'm not basing this view on any hard evidence. I haven't looked into it beyond quickly comparing Sunderland schedules with Scotland schedules for the period between Steve Clarke's appointment as National Head Coach and Jon McLaughlin before he signed for Rangers in June 2020. I think it would be  a similar story for Craig Gordon last year at Hearts, Johnny Russell, Ryan Gauld and Lewis Morgan in the USA and our Sheff Wednesday based players but it's not a fixed opinion.

Edited by 2426255

On 23/09/2021 at 11:57, craigkillie said:

He happily called up Jon McLaughlin when he played for Sunderland in the exact same league.

or Craig Gordon last season while Hearts were in the Championship. Gordon missed their game vs Brora (LOL) because of the first batch of WCQ in March.

Teams can call off league games if they have multiple players away with national teams. That often happens in EFL League One, e.g. Sheff Wed v Sunderland was supposed to be on 4 September but was postponed because of call-ups.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sheffield-wednesday-v-sunderland-postponed-after-international-call-ups-3362418

Edited by JamesM82

One to watch in League 1 is Lewis Fiorini at Lincoln (on loan from Man City). He was with NEC in Holland last season and did very well and has started well this season. Think he has 3 goals in 4 games now.

More of a forward than an out and out striker. Loves a goal from edge of box and far out. Has a fantastic strike on him, would suit the role of playing off a main striker as he plays centrally.

Not ready for a call up to main squad yet obviously but out of all our youth prospects, he has improved dramatically with his experience in the last 18 months. His next loan move likely be a top tier championship or lower PL team. If he keeps up his form, he won't be far away from a call up come end of season.

5 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

One to watch in League 1 is Lewis Fiorini at Lincoln (on loan from Man City). He was with NEC in Holland last season and did very well and has started well this season. Think he has 3 goals in 4 games now.

More of a forward than an out and out striker. Loves a goal from edge of box and far out. Has a fantastic strike on him, would suit the role of playing off a main striker as he plays centrally.

Not ready for a call up to main squad yet obviously but out of all our youth prospects, he has improved dramatically with his experience in the last 18 months. His next loan move likely be a top tier championship or lower PL team. If he keeps up his form, he won't be far away from a call up come end of season.

He seems to have had an impressive loan spell with Breda last season and has started well with Lincoln this season too. He scored today in the 2-1 win at Burton.

I hadn’t heard of him before today, but I will look out for him. Hopefully he keeps improving. 

I wouldn't complain if he was called up, we are so short of options as far as centre forwards go and we could definitely do with a fourth out and out centre forward. The alternatives are going back to the likes of Lawrence Shankland, Oli McBurnie or Johnny Russell.

Burke, Griffiths and Paterson couldn't really be considered at present.

Edited by 2426255

8 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I wouldn't complain if he was called up, we are so short of options as far as centre forwards go and we could definitely do with a fourth out and out centre forward. The alternatives are going back to the likes of Lawrence Shankland, Oli McBurnie or Johnny Russell.

Burke, Griffiths and Paterson couldn't really be considered at present.

All of those players are better than Ross Stewart.

You put them in League 1 and they score 25 a season easily.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not sure Oli McBurnie would score 25 goals in Scottish League 1 in the form he's been in for the last 3 years or so.

You mean when he played in a league 2 divisions higher?  He literally scored 20+ the last season he played in the championship. 

You mean when he played in a league 2 divisions higher?  He literally scored 20+ the last season he played in the championship. 

That's great, but that was a long time ago, and in the here and now he has scored 2 goals in his last 45 appearances for club and country.