Ross Stewart

Donathan

The best players should get called up no matter what league they play in. Clarke has called up English League 1 players before and I don't see why he wouldn't again.
IIRC, when everyone else has been available, Clarke hasn't ever called up an English L1 player, has he?
He's called on them when he's been short, but that doesn't make them 'the best' players, just 'the best replacements' - quite different.

McGillivray and McLaughlin were both there on merit, nothing to do with injuries. And the best players available are the best players available. If Stewart is one of those it shouldn't matter if he's playing on the moon.
I'll give you the two keepers, especially after McGregor retired there was a real drop off in backup and League One became a necessity. The semantics of "the best players vs the best players available" isn't really worth debating - we each know what the other means.

As for Stewart, I've no problem with him being called up if we're short, but out of the most recent squad (and if we weren't short), there's no obvious player I'd drop to fit him in.

Hope he blazes his way up the divisions though and forces his way into deserved contention.

• 2 weeks later...

Lee Johnson is just touting him in a general way. Not sure Ross Stewart for Scotland is worth reading into unless he shows more consistency at a higher level. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7710389/scotland-steve-clarke-sunderland-ross-stewart-world-cup/

"Scotland have definitely watched him, I know that, as they would with all Scottish-born players." Lee Johnson, Sunderland Manager.

I reckon Stewart suits Clarke's style of play more than Nisbet or Shankland. If he keeps up his form I have no problem with him being called up as the third striker but I expect Clarke to stick with Nisbet until Stewart gets to the point he can't be ignored (if he reaches that point at all). 

On 11/09/2021 at 23:21, craigkillie said:

McGillivray and McLaughlin were both there on merit, nothing to do with injuries. And the best players available are the best players available. If Stewart is one of those it shouldn't matter if he's playing on the moon.

How many players has Steve Clarke called up from league 1 and lower? 

23 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

How many players has Steve Clarke called up from league 1 and lower? 

I don't see why what has happened before matters, if the best player available plays in one of those leagues then I'd expect him to pick that player rather than getting hung up by what league he plays in. The answer is definitely at least two (plus at least three from the Scottish Championship).

On 11/09/2021 at 22:41, craigkillie said:

The best players should get called up no matter what league they play in. Clarke has called up English League 1 players before and I don't see why he wouldn't again.

The best players don’t play in League 1. 

Players don't magically become better when they move up a league (or magically become worse when they drop down), so it's entirely possible there are players who are good enough to play for Scotland in that league.

If there was a good player then it would be daft to say that we had to wait until they got promoted or earned a big move before we called them up.

10 hours ago, RobbieD said:

The best players don’t play in League 1. 

As a sweeping generalisation, it's correct, but it's obviously not a fact in itself.  Otherwise, the Juventus players - when relegated - would have somehow become substantially worse.

Buendia went from Norwich (Championship side at the time) to Aston Villa for £30m this summer.

David Goodwillie is streets ahead of everything else in L1, and most likely Championship, and some Premier League teams.  His circumstances that brought him to that level are not relevant, even if they are exceptional.

Yes, these are exceptions.  But that's the whole point.  National team call ups are a case of picking the exceptions at whatever level they play at.

None of the above is a comment on Stewart. I have no idea if he is or isn't good enough to make a squad.

There are plenty of top goalscorers for their respective countries in Europe, with significantly better strike rates than anything we've ever had (perhaps, Law aside) that would struggle to make any impact on the Premier League.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Another factor is that Lower league football doesn't tend to stop during the international breaks and so it's an additional complication in taking these players away from their clubs. Sunderland play at home to Oxford on the same day we play Israel and so it would be a bit unfair on the clubs for Steve Clarke to try and take them.