Canadian Freedom Convoy

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

Yeah agree they have, very much going by the book.

Protesters are organised and peaceful as well, no one wants this to end up out of control.

The folks that are left are getting aggressive towards the cops, but people are allowed to leave if they wish.  

1 hour ago, Binos said:

Stalin said the kulak class was to be liquidated

It was undoubtedly a genocide 

Only if you're a moron and don't understand what 'liquidated' means.

The kulaks were indeed liquidated as a class by the vast majority being driven by state policy into the Soviet towns and cities as workers. The urban population of the Soviet Union expanded enormously in the 1930s - off the back of those who were deprived of their former rights in the countryside. You may complain about that, but it is quite clearly not 'genocide'. 

It also has nothing to do with the vile, revisionist Ukrainian myth of the 'Holodomor', because the vast majority of kulaks were not Ukrainian and the vast majority of Ukrainians were not kulaks. 

Otherwise, a solid 0/10 contribution from yourself. 

Edited by vikingTON

Mostly been following people on twitter who are there, reporting some flare ups and showing video of some people screaming at cops, but nothing in the way of physical violence

I am just happy that this occupation is ending, they have been harassing our city for too long

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

The government based in your city has been harassing people for two years, this is simply what happens when you piss them off.

OK, so get pissed off at the government. Don't push old ladies going to the grocery store into a snowbank or surround someone walking their dog and scream and spit in their face or push a guy in a wheelchair into traffic, or corner someone and rip off her mask, or drive around a school and honk your horn and scream at kids, or park in front of a palliative care hospital and honk your horn and scream and harass the nurses and orderlies

I could go on with the list of violence that these occupiers have inflicted on Ordinary Citizens who are just trying to live and survive

3 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

OK, so get pissed off at the government. Don't push old ladies going to the grocery store into a snowbank or surround someone walking their dog and scream and spit in their face or push a guy in a wheelchair into traffic, or corner someone and rip off her mask, or drive around a school and honk your horn and scream at kids, or park in front of a palliative care hospital and honk your horn and scream and harass the nurses and orderlies

I could go on with the list of violence that these occupiers have inflicted on Ordinary Citizens who are just trying to live and survive

Yes, you could go on cherry-picking incidents in a bizarre attempt to discredit an entire public protest. It won't actually achieve anything though.

Do you have a list of protests that were impeccable from start to finish that have earned your (irrelevant btw) seal of approval? Or are you simply being a hypocrite because you disagree with the aims of this particular protest? 

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

He lives there. I’m sure he’s seen far more for himself than you’ll ever have gotten from Grifty McGrifterson’s youtube feed. 

He has literally just described his sources and they're about as insidery as anyone in the UK could get for a demo in London - which is to say, not at all. 

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

He lives there. I’m sure he’s seen far more for himself than you’ll ever have gotten from Grifty McGrifterson’s youtube feed. 

This, 

I know what this protest has been like for our city these last three weeks.  I don't condone any protest that gets violent against innocent bystanders

Just now, virginton said:

He has literally just described his sources and they're about as insidery as anyone in the UK could get for a demo in London - which is to say, not at all. 

If you take the 2 seconds to push his profile button it states he lives in Ottawa. Even if he hasn’t been downtown I’d imagine it’s probably reasonably high up the running order on the local news, wouldn’t you think? 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Ok the twitter is just today, all of the incidents I have described have happened to people I know (including my wife).  I have also seen with my own eyes people associated with the protest racially abusing people walking down the street.  

1 minute ago, senorsoupe said:

This, 

I know what this protest has been like for our city these last three weeks.  I don't condone any protest that gets violent against innocent bystanders

This is much the same as Swampy telling me I have no idea about the ‘real Chicago’ as I’m ‘privileged’ and ‘insulated’ despite the fact I’ve lived here for 5 years and I’ve no idea if he’d ever even visited. 

2 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Ok the twitter is just today, all of the incidents I have described have happened to people I know (including my wife).  I have also seen with my own eyes people associated with the protest racially abusing people walking down the street.  

Ah but you must be wrong see, because I’ve looked at all the websites from a basement in Greenock. 

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

This is much the same as Swampy telling me I have no idea about the ‘real Chicago’ as I’m ‘privileged’ and ‘insulated’ despite the fact I’ve lived here for 5 years and I’ve no idea if he’d ever even visited. 

It's really hard for anyone who doesn't live here to understand the tension and stress that this city has been under for the last three weeks.  I live just over 1 mile from Parliament Hill, just outside the "red zone", we could hear the horn honking and fireworks from our home (although we are far enough away that it didn't keep us awake.  Anyone who lives downtown (some 50,000 people) have been afraid to leave their houses due to the harassment, the diesel fumes, and the noise.  People have had to shut their businesses (including a good friend of mine) as employees have been harassed and threatened.  This is NOT a peaceful protest and never has been.  

5 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

This, 

It is a public protest. They don't actually need a permission slip from you before rocking up at the capital.

The slide of so-called liberals into authoritarianism when people aren't focused on their chosen issues is a genuinely alarming development in Western society. Much more than a fringe protest movement using their legitimate rights.  

Just now, virginton said:

It is a public protest. They don't actually need a permission slip from you before rocking up at the capital.

The slide of so-called liberals into authoritarianism when people aren't focused on their chosen issues is a genuinely alarming development in Western society. Much more than a fringe protest movement using their legitimate rights.  

It’s a well-funded (primarily by the American right) campaign, who’ve demanded the head of a democratically elected Prime Minister. So-called liberals are eager that such attempts, which are about as organic as Gatorade, at authoritarianism do not succeed. 

You don't know how I vote.  I do not support how the Prime Minister has handled this.  I have no problem with people protesting for whatever they believe, we get protests all of the time here, sometimes streets are blocked off for a day, sometimes there is a lot of noise and I have no problem with them, even if they support opinions that I don't agree with.  

My opinion of this protest has NOTHING to do with their message, and everything to do with their actions

7 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

If you take the 2 seconds to push his profile button it states he lives in Ottawa. Even if he hasn’t been downtown I’d imagine it’s probably reasonably high up the running order on the local news, wouldn’t you think? 

So whatever the local news says about a political protest is now a bona fide account of events? 

I'm really not interested in anecdotal tales selected to generate outrage - almost every protest ever made has attracted bad apples and behaviour that crosses a line. The seminal scene of the French Revolution involved protestors lynching the guards of the Bastille FFS.

If there's a credible analysis of the totality of the protest movement and its behaviour then that's another thing entirely - but you won't get that from either Twitter feeds or the fucking local news.