Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

image.png.519b0495f92e740249e3f6a7ca6e6417.png

Apparently a Ukrainian response to Russian efforts to electronically intercept Ukrainian drones. It seems they’ve added a self-destruct package to these drones, and the Russians already knew about it…yet the Russian Air Force and local FSB decided to pose for pictures with their trophy before it was inspected and defused by a UXD team. Might just be a win for Russia if it killed that many idiots…

Shameless. This was his propaganda and his disinformation. Then it wasn't embarrassing to "all Canadians". It was Justin Trudeau alone who brought Zelenskyy into the Canadian parliament and completely set Zelenskyy up. Further, he still hasn't learned who his parliament whooped and applauded for as he's made no mention yet of the 1st Galician division's Polish victims. That despite the Polish ambassador to Canada demanding an apology (https://twitter.com/WitoldDzielski/status/1706062594719559948).

Shite wee guy.

17 hours ago, TxRover said:

Apparently a Ukrainian response to Russian efforts to electronically intercept Ukrainian drones. It seems they’ve added a self-destruct package to these drones, and the Russians already knew about it…yet the Russian Air Force and local FSB decided to pose for pictures with their trophy before it was inspected and defused by a UXD team. Might just be a win for Russia if it killed that many idiots…

the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

On 25/09/2023 at 01:03, FreedomFarter said:

For me, his more recent work has made clear that his ostensible anti-imperialism is solely in service of his Serb chauvinism. 

I see his latest film is called Srpska: The Struggle for Freedom and can understand why that would get knees-a-jerking. Apparently he was accused of genocide denial but there is some question as to whether the people doing so actually bothered to watch what they were criticising because apparently he does acknowledge what happened in Srebrenica. Think some people don't get that he is Serbia's answer to Michael Moore and miss the satirical angle to a lot of what he does and how it often targets Serbia's own leaders. I doubt the Canadian government was thrilled to have one of its citizens involved with a film with that title but given Canada is a democracy there's not a lot they can do about it.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Verbove has a real warlike name doesn't it. Very WW2. 

Just means that there used to be some willow trees where the village was founded. Most of the places that are being fought over right now are dots on the landscape. A bit like Avonbridge or Airth suddenly becoming the focus of the world media because an army is slowly trying to surround Falkirk one field at a time.

8 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I see his latest film is called Srpska: The Struggle for Freedom and can understand why that would get knees-a-jerking. Apparently he was accused of genocide denial but there is some question as to whether the people doing so actually bothered to watch what they were criticising because apparently he does acknowledge what happened in Srebrenica. Think some people don't get that he is Serbia's answer to Michael Moore and miss the satirical angle to a lot of what he does and how it often targets Serbia's own leaders. I doubt the Canadian government was thrilled to have one of its citizens involved with a film with that title but given Canada is a democracy there's not a lot they can do about it.

Interesting topic so I wanted to reply but probably not relevant enough to the thread so I'll hide it...

Spoiler

The Weight of Chains is the only film of his I've seen. His economic arguments in it are definitely left wing and I personally agree with both them and the film's overall framing of what it covers. With one major exception; he claims Bill Clinton told Izatbegovic (Bosniak military leader) that a significant war crime against Bosniak civilians by Serb forces was needed to trigger US intervention, therefore, Izatbegovic deliberately left the Srebrenica civilians to be genocided. There's no evidence for that being true and even if it were, so what? The Bosnian Serb forces still did what they did. I haven't seen Srpska: The Struggle for Freedom but from what I've read he doesn't deny the Srebrenica genocide in it so that's not my complaint against him. My issue is despite highlighting the tragic consequences of ethnic nationalism in The Weight of Chains, he now seems to have embraced it with his support of Republika Srpska. He does criticise the worst proponents like current president Dodik yet he still supports more moderate nationalists like the mayor of Banja Luka, who funded his film. Then the sole "Bosniak" he interviewed for the film, Emir Kusturica, renounced his Bosniak heritage and now identifies as a Serb.

On Canada, I think its a multiethnic society and there's then a fear of stepping on anyone's toes, of criticising any disapora group's politics as that might rock the boat. Diaspora groups tend to be more right wing or at least more into ethno-religious identity than in the land of origin. You can get a pizza effect from this where wealthy US or Canadian diaspora pay to export their reactionary politics back to the homeland. Just sticking with Serb-Canadians, I checked the wikipedia and there's a building in Ontario named after a Serb WW2 figure. Of course, a chetnik not a partisan. With the Ukrainian-Canadians, the nonsense in Canada's parliament last week has precedent that should've been learned from. Ukrainian Nazi collaborator Vladimir Katriuk was a high profile case in Canada until his death fairly recently. 

4 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Apparently he's still alive. 

Weekend at Bernie's vibes though.

Just my luck the one time I dare to get involved in amongst the experts here and post a tweet it would be discredited. 

Edited by RuMoore

23 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Just my luck the one time I dare to get involved in amongst the experts here and post a tweet it would be discredited. 

He looks 90% dead anyway. Certainly worth a VAR check.