Livingston v St Mirren 19/02/2022

14 minutes ago, Lex said:

Martindale ‘when do we ever get a scrappy goal like that?’
Like the LivI goal that bounced off our defenders stomach, back on to your attacking players side as they both fell down and then trickled into the corner was a thing of beauty FFS emoji16.png
Poor guy always looks like he’s always on the edge.

To an extent i can understand his frustration, they probably were the better team, but that scrappy goal comment is a cracker.

Watching the highlights on YouTube, three main things that strike me are..

1) We were lucky.
2) I'll never be sold on Livi's pitch, but it's better than Hamilton's.
3) Never in a month of fucking Sundays was that a red.

Upon reflection, considering last week we thought Goodwin would be at the helm, I don't think a draw is the worst.

3 hours ago, Lex said:

Martindale ‘when do we ever get a scrappy goal like that?’
Like the LivI goal that bounced off our defenders stomach, back on to your attacking players side as they both fell down and then trickled into the corner was a thing of beauty

You're correct as he's definitely used the wrong phrasing there. However, what I think he was meaning is that Livi this season are not like the Livi of previous seasons. The ability to conjure a simple goal out of nothing, eg. from a random set piece, and against the run of play; that's not there currently. Instead, goals only come after a period of Livi pressure, after deliberate build up and possession, such as with the Anderson goal yesterday. This Livi team don't manage to stay solid, defend well then hit with sucker punches similar to how St Mirren did yesterday and perhaps how Motherwell best exemplify in the league. This season's Livi team lack experience and there's a noticeable lack of guile due to that.

Edited by FreedomFarter

4 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

You're correct as he's definitely used the wrong phrasing there. However, what I think he was meaning is that Livi this season are not like the Livi of previous seasons. The ability to conjure a simple goal out of nothing, eg. from a random set piece, and against the run of play; that's not there currently. Instead, goals only come after a period of Livi pressure, after deliberate build up and possession, such as with the Anderson goal yesterday. This Livi team don't manage to stay solid, defend well then hit with sucker punches similar to how St Mirren did yesterday and perhaps how Motherwell best exemplify in the league. This season's Livi team lack experience and there's a noticeable lack of guile due to that.

Yeah i think he's forgetting about prev County games this season, we def did a couple of smash and grabs on them, the first away game we were pummeled the first 30 mins and somehow scored 2 goals and went in 2-1 up, then hit them with an ET goal from a set piece for the winner.

In fact we also scored very late in the 1-1 game against St Mirren at Paisley, and would've been celebrating like we won the game, leaving them deflated, so maybe we need to just take it on the chin when it happens to us.

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah i think he's forgetting about prev County games this season, we def did a couple of smash and grabs on them, the first away game we were pummeled the first 30 mins and somehow scored 2 goals and went in 2-1 up, then hit them with an ET goal from a set piece for the winner.

In fact we also scored very late in the 1-1 game against St Mirren at Paisley, and would've been celebrating like we won the game, leaving them deflated, so maybe we need to just take it on the chin when it happens to us.

True. It's not like this season's team can't ever gain results from more rudimentary or efficient performances. Yet it has happened far less this season than in the previous three. I think it's a natural consequence of the evolution in playing style that's happened this season. Attacking is far more structured and possession-oriented now rather than the "long balls and second balls" style of recent times. When a team actually constructs their attacking play with a systemic approach - our full backs bomb forward now and the whole team is involved in build up, it feels like you're having to work harder for your goals. You're really "earning" them. To then see the opposition score against you from either the long ball-second ball tactic or a set piece, having all your more elaborate work undone so simply like that, that's where the frustration comes from. 

When it does happen, though, it's entirely our own fault for not defending properly. Losing experienced heads like Bartley and Guthrie has made us more susceptible to these types of goal concession this season.

8 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Would be quite funny if he now got a retrospective ban anyway for the one he should have been sent off for.

Willie Collum - some man.

Would've been yep, think there was only 3 working days for the CO to offer him a match suspension though. Prob didn't bother because it would show Collum up to be even more incompetent. #sfacuntshavingoneanothersbacks

Just now, LIVIFOREVER said:

Would've been yep, think there was only 3 working days for the CO to offer him a match suspension though. Prob didn't bother because it would show Collum up to be even more incompetent. #sfacuntshavingoneanothersbacks

Probably didn't bother because it wasn't a red card.

There's no way that they wouldn't have looked at it.