Hearts V Livi

No complaints with Hearts winning, scored 2 legit goals and were the better team. Boyce was cutting us apart several times with that through ball in behind us, that's how they scored the first goal, and Stryjek came to the rescue to stop a 2nd in the first half. Just a pity Fitzwater didn't bury that chance going in at the break, might've given us a lift to get a 2nd.

Second half we started well but needed to score when we were on the front foot, Nouble made a good run into the box but got the ball caught under his feet, other than that our best chance of scoring was from a set piece, but we didn't really trouble them from them, apart from the one Fitzwater got a free header from.

Anyway, as has been mentioned, other results weren't bad for us, so all still to play for in our last 2 games, 4 pts could do it for a top six spot, maybe even 3 depending on how other results go, but we def need a win from one of them to give ourselves a chance.

On 19/03/2022 at 17:49, ATLIS said:

Think it should be about time we bin Forrest now. He looks to have dropped his levels again, so I'm assuming he's sorted a deal out and is no longer motivated to play like the last 24 months or so 

Yeah thought Forrest played well within himself, maybe playing safe, wouldn't drop him yet though, he may well come back onto his game against St Johnstone or Motherwell, Celtic & Hearts were tough games, where we didn't get as much of the ball as we will in our next 2 games. If he doesn't stand out in our game against St Johnstone though i'd bench him, can't afford to have a player not putting his all into games with what is at stake, top 6 and a shot at a European spot.

No complaints with Hearts winning, scored 2 legit goals and were the better team. Boyce was cutting us apart several times with that through ball in behind us, that's how they scored the first goal, and Stryjek came to the rescue to stop a 2nd in the first half. Just a pity Fitzwater didn't bury that chance going in at the break, might've given us a lift to get a 2nd.
Second half we started well but needed to score when we were on the front foot, Nouble made a good run into the box but got the ball caught under his feet, other than that our best chance of scoring was from a set piece, but we didn't really trouble them from them, apart from the one Fitzwater got a free header from.
Anyway, as has been mentioned, other results weren't bad for us, so all still to play for in our last 2 games, 4 pts could do it for a top six spot, maybe even 3 depending on how other results go, but we def need a win from one of them to give ourselves a chance.

McKay was a significant factor in the first goal as well

There were four Livingston players swarming round McKay but he still somehow got it away so Livingston only had one man to deal with Boyce and by the time Boyce has drawn his man and fed Simms that’s half Livingston’s outfield players accounted for and the remaining 5 are in all sorts of trouble

33 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

McKay was a significant factor in the first goal as well

There were four Livingston players swarming round McKay but he still somehow got it away so Livingston only had one man to deal with Boyce and by the time Boyce has drawn his man and fed Simms that’s half Livingston’s outfield players accounted for and the remaining 5 are in all sorts of trouble

Bit of a pity there wasn't for his goal, not seen a replay yet but from memory it looked like he had nobody putting pressure on him to get that volley lined up, and we had a player standing behind him, which wasn't much use. Cracking volley though, and it was game over..

On 19/03/2022 at 18:06, FreedomFarter said:

Montaño as a defensive left winger might've clamped Atkinson today. When you have Forrest as an "undroppable", though, it rules out certain selections such as Montaño. I'm unsure Forrest should be dropped but the tactical indulgence of him should probably stop. Just put him left wing in a front 3 rather than the hybrid positions and even free role stuff of recent matches. He actually played better when it was a more structured front 3 anyway.

As a Port Vale fan as well as a Jambo, I'm always surprised Montano doesn't start for Livi more often. He was often very good - if inconsistent - for Vale.

Bit of a pity there wasn't for his goal, not seen a replay yet but from memory it looked like he had nobody putting pressure on him to get that volley lined up, and we had a player standing behind him, which wasn't much use. Cracking volley though, and it was game over..

That was the other way round Simms and Boyce pulled Livingston’s defence around creating space for McKay

Not so much space that he’d have the luxury of a second touch.

Just now, Empty It said:

Who was the big tall winger subbed on for Livi in the second half because he was absolutely brutal.

Even bigger than that, more like John Coffey. He was pish though, yeah. Looks like he's been trained at a decent club in his awareness and positioning, but just doesn't look like a particularly good football player (being generous).

21 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Who was the big tall winger subbed on for Livi in the second half because he was absolutely brutal.

I'm assuming you're referring to Caleb Chukwuemeka. Signed on loan from Aston Villa and came very highly rated. Rangers were apparently after him in the summer.

14 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Even bigger than that, more like John Coffey. He was pish though, yeah. Looks like he's been trained at a decent club in his awareness and positioning, but just doesn't look like a particularly good football player (being generous).

I'd say it was the opposite...clearly a talented footballer but seems to have shit himself at the intensity and physicality of Scottish football. The general opinion from the Livi fans is that Saturday was his best performance in a Livi shirt which shows how he's been so far.

6 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I'm assuming you're referring to Caleb Chukwuemeka. Signed on loan from Aston Villa and came very highly rated. Rangers were apparently after him in the summer.

I'd say it was the opposite...clearly a talented footballer but seems to have shit himself at the intensity and physicality of Scottish football. The general opinion from the Livi fans is that Saturday was his best performance in a Livi shirt which shows how he's been so far.

That's quite interesting. I am in the main stand so I got quite a good look at him. When he first came on, what I noticed was that he looks around before he makes his moves, and he is aware of where his team mates are at all times. I thought at the time that he looked like someone who had come from a club with a decent training set up. On the ball he looked as though didn't know how to use his size as an asset though, and it almost seemed more like a hindrance. Looked like a great big fellah who wants to play like a small nippy fellah.

27 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

That's quite interesting. I am in the main stand so I got quite a good look at him. When he first came on, what I noticed was that he looks around before he makes his moves, and he is aware of where his team mates are at all times. I thought at the time that he looked like someone who had come from a club with a decent training set up. On the ball he looked as though didn't know how to use his size as an asset though, and it almost seemed more like a hindrance. Looked like a great big fellah who wants to play like a small nippy fellah.

By all accounts, he is rapid quick and has all the skill needed to play like that...however, that's based on him playing in EPL2. Gerrard is apparently a big admirer of his and he's maybe better suited to a team who'll play on the front foot in overload situations but he just doesn't seem to fit the Livi ethos at all. 

41 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Yep, looks like Bambi on ice whenever he tries to control the ball. Got himself on the ball a lot, getting involved in the game though, something he got slaughtered for not doing in his first sub appearance when we were down to 10 men, and stood about waiting to get it played to him, then got subbed back off a few minutes later. Don't think we've the time left in the season to get him up to speed with our game, and he's more a hindrance than a help.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

That was the other way round Simms and Boyce pulled Livingston’s defence around creating space for McKay

Not so much space that he’d have the luxury of a second touch.

Looked at it now, nah that was in a first phase of play, we had plenty of time to get a man in front of McKay, we also drifted away from Boyce when Simms tried to fire the ball in and got blocked, he had acres of space if the ball had come across. Though by the time it was eventually played in there was a player close enough to make a challenge on him, but not on McKay. Just shit defending from us. We've been guilty of that all season, not watching players coming in at the back of the 6 yard box and giving them far too much freedom to pick their spot.

Penrice was also shit at stopping Atkinson's cross in, he half arsed went towards him then turned away making sure the ball wouldn't hit him, absolutely no commitment to stop that ball going into our box. Then you have players like Devlin who throw themselves into blocks not giving an ounce of concern about being hit in the face, balls, or anywhere else, not good enough from Penrice.

Oh and it was also Penrice making the shit attempt to clear the ball for your first goal, Forrest got slaughtered for the same thing in a game not that long ago.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

The general opinion from the Livi fans is that Saturday was his best performance in a Livi shirt which shows how he's been so far.

Surely not? Hopefully Rangers do sign him then.

11 minutes ago, Empty It said:

This is one of those occassions where "his best" does not equate to good. His performance just wasn't AS shit as his previous appearances. Comparing him to Soto who has had a similar start at Livi coming off the bench in games where we need something. Soto, even though he hasn't scored, puts himself about, chases and puts pressure on defenders, always looks for the ball. Soto looks like the type of player who would fit the Livi way over time (unfortunately we wont see that as he's only on loan until the end of the season), Caleb looks so out of place that I can't see him making an impact before returning to Villa

Edited by Cptn Hooch

Chukwuemeka's younger brother, Carney, is hot property. Already played and scored for Villa this season at age 18. He's been stalling on signing a new contract for over a year now amid interest from the elite English clubs. The cynic in me suspects Villa signed his older brother (Caleb) as part of their overall push to placate Carney and get him to commit. If that's the case (pure speculation on my part, I must stress) then at Livi we've not truly got a promising Aston Villa standard young player on loan.  We've more got a promising Northampton Town standard young player on loan. That's a standard which could easily still have been good enough for us, of course, but it hasn't worked out yet and may not.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

Not just his best, his best by an absolute country mile. He's been way off it in every game I've seen him play.

Tbf, he clearly has something. Wouldn't be too surprised if he came back next season. Seems a little bit like JET last season, in that there's clearly a great player in there if we can somehow get him to play a tune, but not sure the attitude fits with what we already have.

39 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

Not just his best, his best by an absolute country mile. He's been way off it in every game I've seen him play.

Tbf, he clearly has something. Wouldn't be too surprised if he came back next season. Seems a little bit like JET last season, in that there's clearly a great player in there if we can somehow get him to play a tune, but not sure the attitude fits with what we already have.

I can imagine the chaos on Twitter if that were to happen.

3 hours ago, thruthenight said:

I dare say with a pre season training under his belt, and fully integrated into the team, he'd be ready to show us how good a player he is. It's tough to come into the team in the Jan window, esp as a young player from another Country's league. Soto has plenty of experience playing in lots of Country's leagues, so maybe easier for him hitting the ground running. He's a big unit of a player too, just imagine the physicality we'd have with Chucky and Nouble playing up front, if we could get him settled in. Just now though he looks all gangly and falling over his own feet, not getting the ball under control.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER