Top 5 Albums....

AyrshireTon

Picking a favourite artist is impossible, so I'll just do a Neil Young one seeing as he's got millions of records :D

5. On The Beach

4. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

3. Zuma

2. After the Goldrush

1. Tonight's The Night

Radiohead have six studio albums and a live recordings collection. Leaving two out will be very hard...

1. (f**k this is hard) OK Computer
  2. The Bends
  3. Kid A
  4. Amnesiac
  5. Hail To Thief

There really isn't much in it. They can vary from day to day. Just depends how depressed I actually am.

Band - R.E.M.

1. New Adventures in Hi-Fi

2. Monster

3. Automatic for the People

4. Document

5. Lifes Rich Pageant

1) With the exception of Leave and Electrolite, the album confuses and underachieves. Solid, yet not up there with their best.

2) What's The Frequency Kenneth aside, that album is pants and their worst by a million miles.

3) A perfect album in every way (except Ignoreland, that song is shit).

4) Solid album, the singles are the best songs, but, even better, if you have the re-release with the bonus tracks, the medley with So. Central Rain on it is magnificent.

5) Begin The Begin is one of their best songs, Hyena and Swan Swan H are awesome.

Why no Murmur or Green etc?

Guest Spring-heeled Jim

Radiohead have six studio albums and a live recordings collection. Leaving two out will be very hard...

1. (f**k this is hard) OK Computer
  2. The Bends
  3. Kid A
  4. Amnesiac
  5. Hail To Thief

There really isn't much in it. They can vary from day to day. Just depends how depressed I actually am.

5 great albums

Depeche Mode:

1 Violator

2 Black Celebration

3 Songs Of Faith And Devotion

4 Construction Time Again

5 Music For The Masses

I've deliberately left the new album (Playing The Angel) out as it has only been out a few weeks and it's too early to be objective.

I'll do my other two favourite bands while I'm here.

Red Hot Chili Peppers

1. Blood Sugar Sex Magik
  2. By The Way
  3. Californication
  4. Mother's Milk
  5. Uplift Mofo Party Plan

Oasis

1. Definitely Maybe
  2. Don't Believe The Truth
  3. (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
  4. Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants
  5. Heathen Chemistry

1) With the exception of Leave and Electrolite, the album confuses and underachieves. Solid, yet not up there with their best.

2) What's The Frequency Kenneth aside, that album is pants and their worst by a million miles.

3) A perfect album in every way (except Ignoreland, that song is shit).

4) Solid album, the singles are the best songs, but, even better, if you have the re-release with the bonus tracks, the medley with So. Central Rain on it is magnificent.

5) Begin The Begin is one of their best songs, Hyena and Swan Swan H are awesome.

Why no Murmur or Green etc?

1. Something about it I really like - recording an album raw using soundchecks whilst touring to promote the last one was a great idea. "Departure", "Wake up Bomb", "New Test Leper" & "So Fast So Numb" are also great numbers. Someone on this site once described it as the best album to play during a thunderstorm. Electrolite is my favourite REM track.

2. I was VERY disappointed with the commercial, instrumental and very acoustic "Out of Time" (my LEAST favourite along with "Up"). "Monster" was a welcome return to the rock sound they seemed to have abandoned. The "Out of Time" band-wagon fans would have hated it.

3. I like "Ignoreland" - vitriolic political number, the way the band used to be.

4. The singles on "Document" make it recognisable to the people who may not have known them before "Out of Time". I actually prefer all of the other tracks, especially "Exhuming McCarthy".

5. You forgot I Believe and These Days. ;)

"Dead Letter Office" would be 6th - "Voice of Harold" is class. :lol:

Virtually all other albums would be 7th, except "Up" & "Out of Time".

Guest Spring-heeled Jim

Follow on from Dubyas Post

Second Best - Oasis

1 Definitely maybe

2 Dont Believe the Truth

3(Whats the Story) Morning Glory

4 Be here Now

5 Heathen Chemistry

Third best - Radiohead

1 The Bends

2 Ok Computer

3 Pablo Honey

4 Hail to the Thief

5 Amnesiac

R.E.M.

1) Lifes Rich Pageant

2) Up

3) Automatic

4) New Adventures

5) Monster

Too hard to leave any out really, but LRP is a particular favourite, and Up is the most amazing album after a good few listens.

Other comments on what has gone before - only song I don't like off AFTP is Star Me Kitten, heap of pish. As is the W S Burroughs version.

The first half of Document is brilliant, the second half doesn't appeal to me as much.

I'd say the two best 'albums' as such are Up and NAIH, neither of which have great singles or my favourite individual R.E.M. songs.

Big Country

The Seer

The Crossing

Steeltown

The Buffalo Skinners

Driving to Damascus

Simple Minds

Sparkle in the Rain

Street Fighting Years

New Gold Dream

Once Upon a Time

Empires and Dance

Runrig

Heartland

Amazing Things

Cutter and the Clan

Recovery

Searchlight

What I find amazing is that the major acts of the 60s recorded so few albums -

Hendrix

Are you Experienced

Axis Bold as Love

Electric Ladyland

Band of Gypsies

Cry of Love (unfinished at time of death)

All else is patched together after death so Caveat Emptor as my Latin teacher used to say

Janis Joplin

Cheap Thrills

Kosmik Blues

Pearl (unfinished at time of death)

..so easy to get their top 5 albums!

Archived