The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

55 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

Don't think anyone has denied that we are spending money on a coaching infrastructure. However not sure we are "buying young players". Apart from some compensation to QotS most of the squad have either been released by other clubs or come through our youth setup. 

So you're not sure that the players that you're acquiring aren't coming because of the wages that you are chucking about? 

Just because you get a player on a free doesn't mean he's cheap, Dom Thomas is a case in point with that. 

12 hours ago, an86 said:

I wish we had 2000-3000 seats. Stand holds 900. Was free for members and not all of them will have been at the game. On top of that, I reckon a few folk will have spent their fiver or tenner and just chucked it because it was pishing down. Much busier than I expected it to be tbh. 

It looked busy from photos I’ve seen. Point in hand being, that was for a friendly. Lesser is completely unfit for a championship game’s capacity.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Some QP posters are getting stick for their bizarre denial that you're spending significant money on player wages. If you would just acknowledge that the likes of Thomas, Savoury, Paton have been acquired because you can afford to blow the competition away, a lot of it would disappear... because, if we're honest, we'd all like to be in that position.

If you're allowed to use big Hampden, tho (particularly if you get promoted)... well, at that stage the game really is a bogey.

We have a rich benefactor, unfortunately not an oil rich nation state, but still, comparatively well-off and I think we agree that however unpalatable some of the aspects of that are, (which the vast majority of QP fans acknowledge openly) on balance most fans would be wishing similar for their club.  After 158 years of existance, of which the last 100 of so have been pretty mediocre, it's perhaps a little churlish to begrudge QP the opportunity they've been given....or maybe they should just have sat in League 2 'knowing their place', after all, who gets up in the morning wanting to better themselves?

I daresay the total budget will be towards the high-end of the Championship, (looking at prize money for last year, it'll be nowhere near Premier level as some have suggested); I'd assume that the majority of this budget will have been invested in the foundations of coaching staff, (at all levels), Lesser Hampden, that chandelier, the data analysis set-up and the personnel etc etc to deliver the 'plan'.  

That capital spend obviously won't be sustainable long-term, (as any new business' initial capital spend won't be) neither should it be as most of it has been spent to provide these foundations of what comes next, which is the development and sale of playing assets, (as others have said there's nothing new in taking in raw materials, adding value and then selling at a profit). Obviously nobody knows how successful that will be, however, it does indeed seem like the staff we have acquired have a bit of a track record of doing just that and if I was a betting man, I'd have suggested that prior to his ACL injury, I would have been surprised had Grant Savoury not moved on for a decent fee during the summer.....justifying any outlay over the preceding 12 months.

Someone with more insight will need to enlighten me as how many suitors Grant Savoury had when he was at Celtic and then, subsequently at Peterhead; likewise Paton and Thomas.  Only they will know what offers they had elsewhere and why they chose to play in Glasgow rather than anywhere else.

I am perhaps in the minority when I state that the Hampden issue doesn't sit well with me.  I get both sides of the argument and I see the really very good work the club are doing within the community to promote and grow the club and it's support base, evidence of which was over 600 turning out in the torrential rain to watch the 2nd team play out a one-nil loss last night - with many, many faces I've not seen before at a QP match.  It's just such a shame and opportunity missed that we haven't made good on the potential that the blank canvas of Lesser Hampden provided.

12 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to convince you. It’s only QP fans that have a hard time grasping how they managed to end up with actually footballers playing for them instead of the amateurs they were used to. 

It’s not a bad thing. It’s just bizarre that the fans refuse to accept that’s what’s going on. 

'Professional football team in paying players to play for them shock'.  FMG, I bet the broadcast media will be all over this in the morning!

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

So you're not sure that the players that you're acquiring aren't coming because of the wages that you are chucking about? 

Just because you get a player on a free doesn't mean he's cheap, Dom Thomas is a case in point with that. 

If you read my reply you will see thats not what I said. I was responding to your incorrect comment about us "buying young players". As I have said before, I don't doubt some are on decent salaries. Of course players are attracted by the salary and I haven't seen anyone say otherwise. However for some to say we are paying double what others have offered is pure speculation.

The latest accounts showed total employee costs were just under £1.4m for an average of 73 staff. Thats an average of around £19k. However, directors and other senior staff will remove several hundred thousand from the total cost which reduces the remaining average to less than £19k. Clearly some players and coaching staff earn above the remaining average, but that means more than half the remaining employees earn significantly less than £19k.

2 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

I don't see Ross County getting half the stick that QP are for also having a rich benefactor,

They absolutely do.  Just take a look at their thread every time MacGregor comes out with some shite in the press about clubs needing to cut back the day before they pay 6 figures for players.  It's a well known fact that he writes their debt off every summer and they spend well beyond their means. QP and County haven't really been close league-wise for 20 odd years so you probably haven't noticed it as much as fans of established Premiership and Championship clubs.

30 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

If you read my reply you will see thats not what I said. I was responding to your incorrect comment about us "buying young players". As I have said before, I don't doubt some are on decent salaries. Of course players are attracted by the salary and I haven't seen anyone say otherwise. However for some to say we are paying double what others have offered is pure speculation.

The latest accounts showed total employee costs were just under £1.4m for an average of 73 staff. Thats an average of around £19k. However, directors and other senior staff will remove several hundred thousand from the total cost which reduces the remaining average to less than £19k. Clearly some players and coaching staff earn above the remaining average, but that means more than half the remaining employees earn significantly less than £19k.

Did Paton and Savory join for a laugh then? 

That second paragraph is interesting. After having a go at me for making an incorrect statement, you then try and pass off your wage structure by saying that directors and other senior staff will deduct several hundred thousand (How's that for speculation?). However, is there anything in your accounts that says how much your directors received? 

9 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Did Paton and Savory join for a laugh then? 

They joined us because we're fucking massive, and it's time you realised that and started drying those tears. 

36 minutes ago, Dave said:

They joined us because we're fucking massive, and it's time you realised that and started drying those tears. 

Bless, you can only post in clichés eh? "Rattled" "Tears", what's next? 

6 minutes ago, Dave said:

How about this

IMG-20230219-WA0001.jpg

Worked out much, much better for us in the long run. Said as much in the immediate aftermath of the game and it proved to be. Without that happening we wouldn't have jettisoned Hughes which would've been catastrophic for the club. 

Who knows, maybe another season in league one would've seen QP grow more organically, and put more focus on Lesser Hampden. It's odd how these things work out. 

3 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Worked out much, much better for us in the long run. Said as much in the immediate aftermath of the game and it proved to be. Without that happening we wouldn't have jettisoned Hughes which would've been catastrophic for the club. 

Who knows, maybe another season in league one would've seen QP grow more organically, and put more focus on Lesser Hampden. It's odd how these things work out. 

We had a successful season last season, what the f**k are you talking about?

3 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

64CA1041-DD85-4673-9823-5B67D10451C5.thumb.jpeg.47ee78ef50c1e4700f6ecd315f3fb3c1.jpeg

“I’m glad you relegated us in the dying moments, actually.”

1 minute ago, HoBNob said:

Oh I fully get that you really want Pars fans to be upset about that game, it just isn't really the case. 

Yes, absolutely no sign of seething at the end at all. 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

They absolutely do.  Just take a look at their thread every time MacGregor comes out with some shite in the press about clubs needing to cut back the day before they pay 6 figures for players.  It's a well known fact that he writes their debt off every summer and they spend well beyond their means. QP and County haven't really been close league-wise for 20 odd years so you probably haven't noticed it as much as fans of established Premiership and Championship clubs.

County are a bit of an anomaly in that MacGregor has been involved for years but only recently has it felt like he's taken it up a notch. Of course, selling off your oil and gas business to an industry leader for a huge sum of money will help with that. But County have always had a similar home crowd of about 2000 or so since the mid 00s. Even in his recent press call, he was fundamentally right about clubs in the bottom six of the top flight needing to club back - he got slaughtered because people read the headline rather than the article.

You'll see Queens Park get a lot more flak because their home attendance is probably seen as being 'unfit' for this level. In all honesty, as a fan of a club where our new owner seems to have opened up the chequebook to a degree, it's fun to be on this side of the table with players coming in and watching the envious glances. I don't doubt Queens Park fans are well aware that it could go tits up. But you've got to enjoy it while you can. Nobody other than a handful of people will know how much players are on. But that's football for you: clubs up there get blown out the water in financial terms by the English league. Even if Queens Park want to offer silly money to get better players, then that's up to them. We've seen multiple clubs like Dundee and Livingston go in and out of administration before ending up in the top flight yet folk will greet if it's a "smaller team" spending the money. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Fair enough, I don't pay too much attention to the top of the pyramid nor do I spend too much time on other teams' forums so whatever kicking they get has largely passed me by.  Thanks for the correction.

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:

County are a bit of an anomaly in that MacGregor has been involved for years but only recently has it felt like he's taken it up a notch. Of course, selling off your oil and gas business to an industry leader for a huge sum of money will help with that. But County have always had a similar home crowd of about 2000 or so since the mid 00s. 

You'll see Queens Park get a lot more flak because their home attendance is probably seen as being 'unfit' for this level. In all honesty, as a fan of a club where our new owner seems to have opened up the chequebook to a degree, it's fun to be on this side of the table with players coming in and watching the envious glances. I don't doubt Queens Park fans are well aware that it could go tits up. But you've got to enjoy it while you can. Nobody other than a handful of people will know how much players are on. But that's football for you: clubs up there get blown out the water in financial terms by the English league. Even if Queens Park want to offer silly money to get better players, then that's up to them. We've seen multiple clubs like Dundee and Livingston go in and out of administration before ending up in the top flight yet folk will greet if it's a "smaller team" spending the money. 

Don't you be coming on here with your reasoned critique and nuance; we just won't stand for it!!