Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

On 08/10/2024 at 22:50, Chris_the_rover said:

As much as I agree with these arguments

It's an SPFL competition, they can invite who they want

By clubs down they pyramid do you mean league 1/2, the lowland league isn't part of the SPFL so effectively has no say.

I think a lot of Rovers fans have a lot of difficulty comprehending their position now from what I can see.  Rovers like the others are down for a reason and should not be hindering others making a coin because they have been in the SPFL.

If a pyramid was in place 20 years ago the clubs in question would more than likely be tier 6 by now.

There should be no way Rovers or the other ex SPFL clubs should have been admitted when they have been so poor over the course of a league.  Merit should always be the principal.  If not what is the point.  No devine right when others are working harder.  And that goes for the B teams too.  No need for them at the expense of good community clubs especially in the West.

Interesting that no SPFL team has won any of the cups on offer at this level? Are they too big to compete or be arsed? Clubs like Spartans and EK have done this and one is up and other has been close.  Perhaps a winning mentality is better than a mentality that wants a few breadcrumbs now and again. Speaks volumes I think

On 12/10/2024 at 16:11, HotdogTom said:

I think a lot of Rovers fans have a lot of difficulty comprehending their position now from what I can see.  Rovers like the others are down for a reason and should not be hindering others making a coin because they have been in the SPFL.

If a pyramid was in place 20 years ago the clubs in question would more than likely be tier 6 by now.

There should be no way Rovers or the other ex SPFL clubs should have been admitted when they have been so poor over the course of a league.  Merit should always be the principal.  If not what is the point.  No devine right when others are working harder.  And that goes for the B teams too.  No need for them at the expense of good community clubs especially in the West.

Interesting that no SPFL team has won any of the cups on offer at this level? 

I literally said I agree with the arguments

I don't think rovers fans have any difficulty comprehending and also weren't particularly wanting to be involved in the challenge cup, though I'm sure the 10k prize money we got was welcome

What I think people struggle to comprehend is the spfl clubs particularly in championship, league 1 and 2, do not take the lowland league seriously when they keep voting the B teams in, aswell as screaming for more open promotion spots while using the same arguments as the spfl about the divisions below

IInteresting so few of the non ex spfl clubs have won any of the cups on offer at this level? Can they not be arsed, Spartans and EK have .......

5 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Interesting so few of the non ex spfl clubs have won any of the cups on offer at this level? Can they not be arsed, Spartans and EK have .......

It is kind of a small sample size. Berwick Rangers do play in the EoS Qualifying Cup but everyone else is just South Challenge Cup and the Lowland League Cup.

12x appearances in the Lowland League Cup with 1x runners up by East Stirlingshire. 4x more cracks at that this season.

18x appearances in the South Challenge Cup, two of which are still ongoing. You never know!

Generally doesn't seem people care much of anything for the Lowland League Cup and the South Challenge is now so big the odds are stacked against.

image.png.b0911f547bb25fa3bcffec805d8c02bd.png

15 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

I don't think rovers fans have any difficulty comprehending and also weren't particularly wanting to be involved in the challenge cup, though I'm sure the 10k prize money we got was welcome

What I think people struggle to comprehend is the spfl clubs particularly in championship, league 1 and 2, do not take the lowland league seriously when they keep voting the B teams in, aswell as screaming for more open promotion spots while using the same arguments as the spfl about the divisions below

IInteresting so few of the non ex spfl clubs have won any of the cups on offer at this level? Can they not be arsed, Spartans and EK have .......

I am sure the 10k was useful but the rhetoric and statements released prior to the B team vote is hollow is it no? Where was the grand statement to refuse this Challenge Cup bounty based on sporting integrity as you demonstrated with the criticism of B teams and clubs voting for this? 

As for open promotion spots both up and down in Lowland League my guess is Rovers and the others won’t be Turkeys voting for Christmas.  2 open spots of relegation puts them in serious risk of West of Scotland Premier in 5 years.  I’m not saying anyone of the Ex SPFL wouldn’t get up again to tier 5 but the problem is their very existence is at risk at this level. 

The problem in this league, not just with the ex SPFL clubs, is the things folk complain about are the things that can often be a safety net they don’t want to acknowledge.  

If clubs are going to use the morality  card they need to be consistent otherwise it looks pretty foolish

Also clubs that tend to win the less fashionable cups in the LL sphere are more successful for the most part.  I think that’s a given.  If your happy to accept 10k why not the extra gates from additional games the further you go? Do well enough you might get close to another 10k with enough games.

For the record, I am against B teams so completely get the argument against 

14 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It is kind of a small sample size. Berwick Rangers do play in the EoS Qualifying Cup but everyone else is just South Challenge Cup and the Lowland League Cup.

12x appearances in the Lowland League Cup with 1x runners up by East Stirlingshire. 4x more cracks at that this season.

18x appearances in the South Challenge Cup, two of which are still ongoing. You never know!

Generally doesn't seem people care much of anything for the Lowland League Cup and the South Challenge is now so big the odds are stacked against.

image.png.b0911f547bb25fa3bcffec805d8c02bd.png

Interesting work my man! Very well laid out.  Small sample pool yes but both South Challenge Cup and LL Cup should be pots the ex League 2 clubs should be well capable off.  Again from what am have seen for some folk (not Chris btw to be clear) the cynicism out weighs some major positive of doing well.  “Focus on the league” garbage when for the most part it is done or stagger to a 10th finish.  Win something take good feeling and a few extra pounds (albeit not life changing into the next year)

Edited by HotdogTom

18 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

The SPFL clubs couldn't care less if the LL vote B teams in, they can't get promoted to the SPFL so it's no skin off their nose.  Remember, these same clubs are comfortable with 12 B teams in the Trust Trophy, their own competition.

As has been said umpteen times before, the LL should open up the relegation spots and set an example/lead the way.  Perhaps then there would be more ammunition for the Sports Minister when it's time for another chat with Doncaster.

Edited by Burnieman

24 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

The SPFL clubs couldn't care less if the LL vote B teams in, they can't get promoted to the SPFL so it's no skin off their nose.  Remember, these same clubs are comfortable with 12 B teams in the Trust Trophy, their own competition.

As has been said umpteen times before, the LL should open up the relegation spots and set an example/lead the way.  Perhaps then there would be more ammunition for the Sports Minister when it's time for another chat with Doncaster.

Exactly!

The LL aren’t doing themselves any favours by having 1 relegation spot.

10 minutes ago, Eadie is God said:

Exactly!

The LL aren’t doing themselves any favours by having 1 relegation spot.

If only teams could put a proposal forward to change it……..oh wait! I am mainly talking about the ex EoSFL teams who no doubt moaned about this when they weren’t in the LL.

On 10/10/2024 at 19:54, ekok said:

Within any serious system of merit,  being bang last of 42 teams,after a full season of games , surely must mean relegation.  Is that not what a Pyramid means? Embarrassing. 

Nit picking I know, but it's last of ten teams, not 42. An SPFL side plays a maximium of 11 other teams in a league season, not 41.

On 12/10/2024 at 16:11, HotdogTom said:

Interesting that no SPFL team has won any of the cups on offer at this level? Are they too big to compete or be arsed? Clubs like Spartans and EK have done this and one is up and other has been close.  Perhaps a winning mentality is better than a mentality that wants a few breadcrumbs now and again. Speaks volumes I think

These questions seem to assume that SPFL teams (ex-SPFL teams was meant I assume) will have access to the same grade of player in the Lowland that they did when in the SPFL. Results suggest that after relegation and entirely understandably, they simply haven't attracted players of the necessary standard.

57 minutes ago, rockson said:

These questions seem to assume that SPFL teams (ex-SPFL teams was meant I assume) will have access to the same grade of player in the Lowland that they did when in the SPFL. Results suggest that after relegation and entirely understandably, they simply haven't attracted players of the necessary standard.

They can't afford the same standard of players in the main,