Immigration across the English Channel

Paxo

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

All those that get knocked back when applying from outside the UK will obviously just shrug their shoulders and not try to enter illegally.

I'd say most of them would given they won't be able to work legally or claim benefits. Might get some slave work on the fields or nail bars I suppose.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You'd probably run to where you had family and/or friends, and maybe spoke the language. They could solve 99% of this channel nonsense by allowing them to apply for asylum from outside the UK, putting the smugglers out of business overnight.

It's worse than that. This "first safe country" shite is just making some of the poorest nations on earth shoulder the burden.  Offshore applications could be part of the solution but then we'd be expecting other nations to host these people on our behalf in the meantime. 

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

All those that get knocked back when applying from outside the UK will obviously just shrug their shoulders and not try to enter illegally.

They could appeal and have a 49% chance of it being overturned and at present there is a 75% chance of statues being granted at initial decision.

5 minutes ago, EvilScotsman said:

OK, it would solve 61% of it.

Cheers.  Didn't have the figures to hand.

I have my doubts that as many as that would be granted if they were applying from overseas.  The current government stance seems to be to make it as difficult as possible to claim asylum in the UK.  I really can't see them granting many claims from abroad even if they did try it but that policy certainly wouldn't put the people traffickers out of business.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Anyway according to the rabid right in 100, 50, 3 years time the majority language in the USA will be Spanish and the majority language in the U.K. will be Muslim so the use of English as the lingua franca will be of less importance and we can expect all these immigrants to end up on the Costas.

My favorite was the Mexican Trump fan who reckoned if Hillary was elected there’d be ‘taco trucks on every corner’. I’m surprised to this day HRC didn’t get in solely off the back of the fat c**t vote, given how many of them there are. 

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

It's worse than that. This "first safe country" shite is just making some of the poorest nations on earth shoulder the burden.  Offshore applications could be part of the solution but then we'd be expecting other nations to host these people on our behalf in the meantime. 

They could appeal and have a 49% chance of it being overturned and at present there is a 75% chance of statues being granted at initial decision.

The thing is if they cross the channel by dinghy or in the back of a lorry they've a roughly 2 in 3 chance of winning asylum and being able to work legally, claim benefits etc. If they were allowed to apply from closer to home and failed, why would they pay however many thousands to a trafficker and risk their lives, knowing they'd never be able to work legally and live a normal life?

Edited by welshbairn