The Queen of the South thread

Does anyone else remember Paul Talbot? I remember him being one of Connelly's last Geordie signings and that he was pretty useless, leaving Queens for Spennymoor town, a fullback IIRC and from that season the aforementioned Kris Robertson and John Dodds playing in goals when Colin Scott went down with that bad shoulder injury.

I saw Talbot play. I don't really remember much about him though. Dark haired left back was he? Don't remember anything about how he played but he didn't stick around long.

Kris Robertson was an absolute disaster of a Trialist who played two games against St Mirren and Inverness. John Dodds wasn't that bad a keeper but not first division level.

and also while messing around on google I managed to find an archived season review of the original great escape season (2005/2006) written by Skyline Drifter. Was anyone at Dingwall to witness Tope Arojugan who was a trialist and was brought on as a substitute before coming off 5 minutes later with a pulled Hamstring and never seen again?

http://qosarchive.co.uk/05review01.htm

I was there. Not sure he ever actually kicked the ball. Pulled up in his first attempt to run after it. Purported to be "Nigerian" but he lived and was brought up in London I think.

Marc McCusker was woeful aswell. Looked like he was about 5 yards short of the pace required. Tom Parratt, Chris Scott, Chris Carr, Chris Armstrong, Stephen Simmons, Stephen Payne and Scott McLaughlin and Graham Duncan also wont be forgotten in a hurry. Woeful!

McCusker was never fit. A gamble by MacPherson that certainly didn't pay off. If he'd been fit he might have done a job but he's never been fit since really. Is he playing junior somewhere or out of the game altogether?

Of the others mentioned there, Simmons was nowhere near as bad as he's made out to be and a lot of his criticism comes from MacPherson saddling him with the "SPL player" quote. Parratt wasn't good enough to replace McCann or Paton. Scott was an absolute lunatic of a tackler. His tackles were like karate kicks! Chris Carr looked good when he first came into the side but quickly went backwards. The same probably true of Stephen Payne who on occasion showed great ability but usually was a passenger (I'll always recall him fondly for that 92nd minute winner from about 30 yards at Firhill though).

Kris Robertson Steven preen john burrage Jim butter Alan Gillespie to name a few we could be here for some time

Preen, like Armstrong mentioned above, was a big English striker who just couldn't adapt to the sort of football played in Scotland. Burridge to be fair had been a good keeper in his day but that day was about a decade behind him before he arrived at Palmerston! Butter wasn't all that bad either but was saddled with a big price tag (we were reputed to have spent £30k on him) and wholly failed to live up to it. Gillespie, and David Smyth who was here about the same time, were two dreadful centre halfs who arrived from Ayr United and were woeful.

Marc McCusker was woeful aswell. Looked like he was about 5 yards short of the pace required. Tom Parratt, Chris Scott, Chris Carr, Chris Armstrong, Stephen Simmons, Stephen Payne and Scott McLaughlin and Graham Duncan also wont be forgotten in a hurry. Woeful!

As mentioned by SD I will always remember Payne for that goal. It was one of my best away days and is probably still up there tbh. I'm sure it was Thistle's first season in the 1st after relegation and they were flying at the time with Escalas (sp?) banging the goals in for them. He scored that day as well to put them ahead before Tommy English scored for us (free-kick/penalty?) to level, then I think Payne had been on for minutes before firing in a peach for an injury-time winner. I can remember going nuts and one of those goals where you cuddle utter strangers around about you! For that reason alone he shouldn't be anywhere near a Worst XI :P

I can remember Chris Carr having a good game in the final game of the season against Falkirk (the year they went up ironically) where we won 2-1 (having gone 1-0 behind in that game as well!) I had hoped the next season would have seen him develop, but sadly he faded away.

Edited by 19QOS19

Phil Nixon was dreadful. I remember wanting to like Dennis Boyle but just remember him being awful. If you ever get the chance go into Dickies Bar in Dumfries and look at the old team photos from the last 10-15 years and try to name the players. Harder than you think!

Another one to add is John Conolly's son!

Phil Nixon was dreadful. I remember wanting to like Dennis Boyle but just remember him being awful. If you ever get the chance go into Dickies Bar in Dumfries and look at the old team photos from the last 10-15 years and try to name the players. Harder than you think!

Another one to add is John Conolly's son!

I quite liked Phil Nixon. He clearly wasn't good enough but he was a committed player and actually had the odd decent game as a holding midfielder. The likes of Gillespie and Smyth mentioned earlier were far worse centre halves.

Like you I never really saw what the fuss was about with the 'Donegal Diamond'. I don't think he did anything noteworthy at first team level at all.

Stuart Connolly only played five games for the club and I think only one of those was in the starting eleven. He wasn't really anything more than a fringe player ay any stage.

Ah the memories.

Here's todays challenge. Should be a good one for JRSLeft Peg at least.

John Connolly fielded 88 players in a first team game in his four years in charge. I have a full list numbered 1 - 88 in the order that he played them (first team selection numbered in the first eleven numbers obviously). How many can you name without checking?

EDITED to add: Since they've already been mentioned in the past few posts I'll give you the following as starters:

7. Dennis Boyle

12. Phil Nixon

34. Colin Scott

47. Stuart Connolly

78. John Dodds

83. Paul Talbot

84. Emilio Jaconelli

85. Kris Robertson

87. Stephen Payne

Edited by Skyline Drifter

As mentioned by SD I will always remember Payne for that goal. It was one of my best away days and is probably still up there tbh. I'm sure it was Thistle's first season in the 1st after relegation and they were flying at the time with Escalas (sp?) banging the goals in for them. He scored that day as well to put them ahead before Tommy English scored for us (free-kick/penalty?) to level, then I think Payne had been on for minutes before firing in a peach for an injury-time winner. I can remember going nuts and one of those goals where you cuddle utter strangers around about you! For that reason alone he shouldn't be anywhere near a Worst XI :P

Double checked this as I couldn't recall English scoring in the game. You are right that Juan Ramon Escalas gave Thistle an 8th minute lead. However it was David McNiven who equalised on 65 minutes. The Payne goal came even later than I thought it had being timed at 95 minutes and he had come on as a sub for the injured David Craig on 94 minutes! I remember going similarly ape.

EDITED to add: Tommy English DID score a direct free kick in a 2-1 win at Raith the following week though which is probably what caused the confusion.

Bowser

Was No 61 on the JC list.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

David Matheson

Paddy Atkinson

Jim Thomson

Andy Aitken

Joe McCalpine

Robbie Nielson

Graeme Armstrong (think that was his name)

John O'neil

Scott Robertson (or was it Stuart? Goalkeeper Played in league cup at Dens)

Andy Goram

Sean O'connor

Peter weatherson

Derek lyle

George O'Boyle

Mainly obvious ones, there ate others I can picture but can't name.

David Matheson

Paddy Atkinson

Jim Thomson

Andy Aitken

Joe McCalpine

Robbie Nielson

Graeme Armstrong (think that was his name)

John O'neil

Scott Robertson (or was it Stuart? Goalkeeper Played in league cup at Dens)

Andy Goram

Sean O'connor

Peter weatherson

Derek lyle

George O'Boyle

Ah the memories.

Here's todays challenge. Should be a good one for JRSLeft Peg at least.

John Connolly fielded 88 players in a first team game in his four years in charge. I have a full list numbered 1 - 88 in the order that he played them (first team selection numbered in the first eleven numbers obviously). How many can you name without checking?

EDITED to add: Since they've already been mentioned in the past few posts I'll give you the following as starters:

7. Dennis Boyle

12. Phil Nixon

34. Colin Scott

47. Stuart Connolly

78. John Dodds

83. Paul Talbot

84. Emilio Jaconelli

85. Kris Robertson

87. Stephen Payne

Steve Pickering?

For some reason his name sticks out and I think he may have scored in a 3-3 or 4-4 match at Berwick, which was played on a Sunday for some reason. Probably Connelly's first season in charge.

David Matheson - No 1 on the list.

Paddy Atkinson - No 2 on the list

Jim Thomson - No 43

Andy Aitken - No 4

Joe McAlpine - No 51

Robbie Nielson - No 72

Graeme Armstrong (think that was his name) - No 39

John O'Neill - No 30

Scott Robertson (or was it Stuart? Goalkeeper Played in league cup at Dens) - Ut was Stuart, he's No 74 on the list. (the midfielder Scott Robertson made his debut under Iain Scott)

Andy Goram - Already named as No 67.

Sean O'connor - No 65

Peter weatherson - No 9

Derek lyle - No 62

George O'Boyle - No 56

Jarrod Suddick ? Super thug

No 23

P Weatherson

J Thompson

A Aitken.

D Lyle?

Yes to all but they were named already.

Steve Pickering?

For some reason his name sticks out and I think he may have scored in a 3-3 or 4-4 match at Berwick, which was played on a Sunday for some reason. Probably Connelly's first season in charge.

No 15.

Niven ?

No Niven. If you mean David McNiven he was an Iain Scott signing after Connolly left.

P burns?

W gibson?

Yes to both. Nos 41 and 77