The Queen of the South thread

Great result last night well done Queens on the park, but off it very poor.After the game I was walking through the car park when I saw someone crashing to the ground after tripping over the pavement, come on Queens get some lights on , the whole area is almost pitch dark in places. The guy had hurt his elbow and luckyly his gloves saved his hands from being skinned. This area must have been risk assessed so someone not doing there job, get it sorted before someone is badly hurt in a fall.

I think the youngsters in the squad will be off at the first opportunity unfortunately. But maybe offering 150% of current wages for another 18 months could be a sweetener. McShane is already tied up but we really should be targeting Durnan, Holt, Reilly and if on last nights form Danny aswell.

I suppose the players are waiting to see if they get any offers in Jan.They can then sign a pre. contractIf Durnan gets a offer from Hearts then he has to take it might never get a better offer.

Of course but wouldn't harm us to chuck a nice early Xmas present their way before the clubs can approach them.

Our youngsters won't be going anywhere next month. Signing pre-contracts is a different matter though.

I wouldn't be offering them silly money to stay either, certainly not 150% more! That would only cause friction amongst other players. I'd love all the young lads to stay with us, but the club's financial stability is far more important.

Our youngsters won't be going anywhere next month. Signing pre-contracts is a different matter though.

I wouldn't be offering them silly money to stay either, certainly not 150% more! That would only cause friction amongst other players. I'd love all the young lads to stay with us, but the club's financial stability is far more important.

Adding 50% onto current wage packets isn't exactly going to put us in any financial turmoil. The four mentioned will be on peanuts compared to some of our other squad members I would imagine including Burns and McKenna who haven't kicked a ball yet this season. Would hate to see us lose Gav Holty and durns over a couple few hundred a week that we could easily afford to stretch too.

Indeed. It'll be frustrating if we lose a few in the summer, but it's just the way it is now.

We offer short term contracts in order to protect the club against needless expense. The downside is that it also enables the players to walk if they impress.

If the price of nights like the last one is that our players get courted, so be it.

Adding 50% onto current wage packets isn't exactly going to put us in any financial turmoil. The four mentioned will be on peanuts compared to some of our other squad members I would imagine including Burns and McKenna who haven't kicked a ball yet this season. Would hate to see us lose Gav Holty and durns over a couple few hundred a week that we could easily afford to stretch too.

You said offer 150% of current wages, not 50%. Obviously a mistake on your part, but I'd say the point still stands.

We don't know what the boys are on and we don't know how much more we can afford. I trust the board to do the right thing though and if the boys were demanding too much I wouldn't be going crazy with the finances.

I think you're point about Burns and McKenna is the reason we don't offer more than 2 year contracts unfortunately.

You said offer 150% of current wages, not 50%. Obviously a mistake on your part, but I'd say the point still stands.

We don't know what the boys are on and we don't know how much more we can afford. I trust the board to do the right thing though and if the boys were demanding too much I wouldn't be going crazy with the finances.

I think you're point about Burns and McKenna is the reason we don't offer more than 2 year contracts unfortunately.

I could take a very good guess at the fours wages and we could comfortably afford the increase which would be roughly around 4k a month for our four sellable assets isn't a big ask.

I hope not but the vsame thing could happen to John Baird out long term with a injury but he still has the 2 year contract.

It is a gamble that we should take

What's the worst that happens the four mentioned they don't quite progress at the rate we would like and we don't get the big fee we are hoping for. We still have four very good players at this level tied down for 18 months and beyond if it still suits both parties. Allowing players the quality of Durnan, McShane and Reilly to leave for next to nothing is criminal.

What's the worst that happens the four mentioned they don't quite progress at the rate we would like and we don't get the big fee we are hoping for. We still have four very good players at this level tied down for 18 months and beyond if it still suits both parties. Allowing players the quality of Durnan, McShane and Reilly to leave for next to nothing is criminal.

You've got to remember though that for players to sign new contracts, might make them less attractive to other sides and might ultimately have the potential to damage their careers.

It's a balancing act. Players at this level don't earn big money and are vulnerable with short term contracts. This enables the club to operate effectively. We can't necessarily have it both ways if some do very well for themselves.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Nobody In Scotland (bar Celtic) is going to pay a fee for anybody and very few teams are going to be offering significantly more money for wages than us. I think one or two might go but not a huge exodus. At least if its a team down south we'd get a little money.

It is a tightrope with contracts. It might be an idea to offer the option of an extra year or two when the young player makes a certain amount of first team appearances. This may act as a carrot for the player but also give the club a bit of protection for their investment too.

You've got to remember though that for players to sign new contracts, might make them less attractive to other sides and might ultimately have the potential to damage their careers.

It's a balancing act. Players at this level don't earn big money and are vulnerable with short term contracts. This enables the club to operate effectively. We can't necessarily have it both ways if some do very well for themselves.

This and as Sloop said, no one in Scotland is paying money for players. Certainly cant see anyone coming in to pay a fee for anyone in January

I think we also have to bear in mind that we would be due compensation for several of these players anyway. That could, easily, be as much as any transfer fee we might get

So which victory gives you more pleasure? Friday night was special, first league win since the fifties and possibly the result that see's off their manager, or the glorious cup win which was in their own back yard and in front of their on fans.

Difficult as they were both memorable but for me the cup win just shades it due to it going to the tension of the penalty shoot out.

I must also add that there was a large core of Friday's team that were also involved in the Ramsden's win.

So which victory gives you more pleasure? Friday night was special, first league win since the fifties and possibly the result that see's off their manager, or the glorious cup win which was in their own back yard and in front of their on fans.

Difficult as they were both memorable but for me the cup win just shades it due to it going to the tension of the penalty shoot out.

I must also add that there was a large core of Friday's team that were also involved in the Ramsden's win.

I've thought about this too and I'm genuinely undecided. Winning at Ibrox was special, silencing those imbeciles to our left. The fact that we went on to win that Cup adds something to the memories too.

Friday however just felt so perfect from start to finish. At Ibrox, we rode our luck with an offside goal and a penalty shoot-out, but the other night, we hammered them, simply by playing much better than them.

At the time of the Ibrox win, Rangers were still misfiring badly in the bottom tier and weren't yet top. They're not that impressive now either, but are ostensibly a lot stronger than then.

I suppose what I'm saying is it's Friday that wins for me, although at the start of this long winded post, I didn't realise it.

Still early days in the season but we possibly saw our two contenders for our goal of the season.

Holt's was a great free kick worthy of winning ant game alone, but I would go for Reilly's as it was a great team goal. It started with a great pass out from the defence into midfield where Lyle controlled well before feeding Carmichael. Danny's precision cross into Reilly was a peach and Gav's sublime first touch set him up for a great half volley which was behind Simonsen before he knew it.

We will be well and truly blessed to see better goals this season and they were both all the sweeter because of the opposition.