The Queen of the South thread

IMO the queen's board have ambition, but low attendances they are not getting the max from youth development, yeah Riley, Holt etc went for money last year, but where is the conveyor belt....where is the future first team, plus spending thousands tenting a central belt training base when they bought KG complex for it not to be used by first team seems bonkers to me.

IMO the queen's board have ambition, but low attendances they are not getting the max from youth development, yeah Riley, Holt etc went for money last year, but where is the conveyor belt....where is the future first team, plus spending thousands tenting a central belt training base when they bought KG complex for it not to be used by first team seems bonkers to me.

Putting aside the other arguments about training in the central belt, the pitch at KGV is nowhere near good enough for the first team to train on. There has been talk of relaying it, I believe, but if the first team were to train in Dumfries, surely, the logical place to do it would be Palmerston?

Fourth is still attainable and I think fowler should be the guy to do it. A few on here have discussed a change of management is needed. Who would you bring in??

Fowler inherited a very good squad in his first season. Second season he has rebuilt the team and is contesting for fourth. OK didn't do well in cups. Next season he should be allowed to continue his work and strengthen the squad. I'd he doesn't make fourth this season it is a requirement next season.

In the league it will likely be dundee utd and maybe Kilmarnock along with Falkirk and probably stronger st mirren but a much more level field than last two seasons. Hope fowler stays and does a good job

There was a story doing the rounds at Falkirk at Saturday that two players spat the dummy about not being in the starting 11 at the weekend . One of them had a case when young Pickard starts in front of him ;)

Very few players have warranted being in the starting 11 by right this season. Have to say though it's time to give Pickard a rest.

There was a story doing the rounds at Falkirk at Saturday that two players spat the dummy about not being in the starting 11 at the weekend . One of them had a case when young Pickard starts in front of him ;)

Isn't that a pretty standard thing to happen at a football club regardless of whether it's winning or losing.

Whilst Pickard is yet to properly impress me in person, It does seem a bit hypocritical of folk slagging off a lack of youth but when we do give one a chance they make them a scapegoat.

I listened to James Fowlers latest podcast after the Falkirk match and he was understandably very disappointed with the performance. He naturally has to talk up our position as best he can - nothing else for it. That said he did mention that he thought we had been a threat inthe first half at the FFS.

The reality was that we posed absolutely no threat in that first half or the scond for that matter. We played tippy tappy football that retained possession but did not pose any threat whatsoever - but neither did Falkirk in he opening period.

I did sense that the undeer current was that the Manager is losing all patience with some of the players and wouldnt surprise me if we see wholesale changes in the coming period.

The problem isn't standing out for the Under 20's .Its totally shite.The Ayrshire League District League is better.

I did hear that one team in the Ayrshire district junior league contacted Queens earlier in the season and asked if they could get any of the 20's players on loan only to be told no. Lugar have a lot of the Ayr under 20's on loan, they can play for Lugar on a Saturday and still turnout for Ayr dev team during the week, don't believe it does them any harm.

Edited by outsider

Ayrshire District Junior League probably is better. Queens should be able to drip feed youth players to clubs in this environment of else to South of Scotland League clubs...

As I posted above one team tried to get some from the 20's this season, think Ayr have been doing this for

a few years now and it doesn't seem to be doing any harm. Last year there were a few of the lads loaned out to SOS league clubs as well as Gretna.

Isn't that a pretty standard thing to happen at a football club regardless of whether it's winning or losing.

Whilst Pickard is yet to properly impress me in person, It does seem a bit hypocritical of folk slagging off a lack of youth but when we do give one a chance they make them a scapegoat.

I havent seen anyone make him a scapegoat. Pointing out that he, maybe, isnt ready for regular first team football isnt the same as blaming him for recent defeats

I did hear that one team in the Ayrshire district junior league contacted Queens earlier in the season and asked if they could get any of the 20's players on loan only to be told no. Lugar have a lot of the Ayr under 20's on loan, they can play for Lugar on a Saturday and still turnout for Ayr dev team during the week, don't believe it does them any harm.

As I posted above one team tried to get some from the 20's this season, think Ayr have been doing this for

a few years now and it doesn't seem to be doing any harm. Last year there were a few of the lads loaned out to SOS league clubs as well as Gretna.

This isn't allowed now. It was allowed last season but isn't now. Not as a Development loan anyway. Are you sure Ayr are doing this? You can only do a Development loan between two SPFL clubs. We have players out on loan to SOS & Lowland League clubs now. Fraser Morton is on loan at Dalbeattie having had spells at Heston and St Cuthberts earlier in the season. Adam Uphill is at Upper Annandale having been at YMCA earlier in the season but they aren't allowed to be on a Development loan so once they go out they can't also play for the u20's. It is possible there's something different about the Junior set up that lets Ayr do it, but we certainly were told we cannot have players on Development loan to the SOS League.

Odd, you were a bit quiet about that when we actually got into 4th for a short while. It was always likely we'd drop back out of it this week with a run of games against Rangers, Falkirk and Hibs, although Morton winning at Hibs in particular was a disappointing result for us and Raith's late winner against Morton probably even worse for us if not entirely surprising. I'm not especailly panicked about it though and, unlike you, I'm not going to make any comment about a game I wasn't at. I missed my first Queens game in over 4 years at the weekend so am in no position to discuss the game itself.

Overall, we quite clearly ARE good enough to get 4th as there's nothing in particular to indicate either Morton or Raith are particularly any better than us. Which isn't to say we will get 4th. I hope we will, and think we will but it's going to be close and it will probably largely come down to our two head to head meetings with Raith and the one at Morton. I never actually said we would be 4th though, I took issue with your ridiculous dismissal of the chances back in December and I've already been proven right about how stupid a thing to say that was whether we go on to get 4th or not. Your "bet" was a no brainer but just to be clear, I will honour it and pay you £1 if we don't get 4th. I'll even make it £10 and give it to a charity of your choice if you prefer. I presume you are making no arrangements at all to pay me £1m in the event we do get 4th? No real need to when you are 100% sure it won't happen. I am curious right enough as to how you are going to fund it if you do lose the bet though. I think we'd all find that interesting. ;)

I was quiet for a while because I thought Fowler would make some good signings in the Jan window.

Like what Raith Morton and most other teams in our league have done but Fowler failed again so we have even less of a chance of 4,th.

As I have said we set up not to lose games rather than to win playing boring football that is so poor to watch .

You need to score goals to win games something we can,t well want to do.

The bet

The wife does not no but I was going to sell the house to get you your money but there was never any chance of that going to happen.????

Edited by Northfield 53

This isn't allowed now. It was allowed last season but isn't now. Not as a Development loan anyway. Are you sure Ayr are doing this? You can only do a Development loan between two SPFL clubs. We have players out on loan to SOS & Lowland League clubs now. Fraser Morton is on loan at Dalbeattie having had spells at Heston and St Cuthberts earlier in the season. Adam Uphill is at Upper Annandale having been at YMCA earlier in the season but they aren't allowed to be on a Development loan so once they go out they can't also play for the u20's. It is possible there's something different about the Junior set up that lets Ayr do it, but we certainly were told we cannot have players on Development loan to the SOS League.

Lugar do have a lot of lads from Ayr 20's and I do know that some of them have played for both teams, as you

say it could be different rules for the junior leagues.

I listened to James Fowlers latest podcast after the Falkirk match and he was understandably very disappointed with the performance. He naturally has to talk up our position as best he can - nothing else for it. That said he did mention that he thought we had been a threat inthe first half at the FFS.

The reality was that we posed absolutely no threat in that first half or the second for that matter.

I do worry about Fowler's capacity for talking rubbish.

It was similar recently when he was quoted on here as bemoaning our record against the league's weaker sides, when the reality is that only that decent record is preventing us from being in real trouble.

It doesn't suggest someone who is particularly attuned to the real world and therefore capable of responding to it.

I was quiet for a while because I thought Fowler would make some good signings in the Jan window.

Like what Raith Morton and most other teams in our league have done but Fowler failed again so we have even less of a chance of 4,th.

As I have said we set up not to lose games rather than to win playing boring football that is so poor to watch .

You need to score goals to win games something we can,t well want to do.

The bet

The wife does not no but I was going to sell the house to get you your money but there was never any chance of that going to happen.????

You live in a £1m house?!!!!

Still 100% confident you wont be filing for bankruptcy come the end of April after tonight?

First chance to have a proper look at Tapping but cant say I was overly impressed. Passing a bit wayward and looked like either a red card or injury waiting to happen. Murdoch I have seen twice and both times he has looked assured. Took his goal expertly.Hilson was very sharp when he came on. Looks ready to start. Pickard tbh put in a cringeworthy performance and the crowd were quick to let him know. Fowler responded by staring them out for a long duration of time. Can only imagine Oliver will be feeling even more pissed off after yesterday, especially as Harris wasnt available. Hutton had a very decent game as did Dowie, Higgins, Brownlie, Kidd, Marshall and Thomson. Conroy done nowt again. He would be the first guy I would ship out this summer

I thought Pickard did more than Russell tbh. The boy at least attempted to win headers and did on a few occasions. He put himself about and clearly got certain Hibs players rattled. Russell was more interested in trying to win cheap free kicks.