The Queen of the South thread

This does rather make sense, though I don't know why Raith's away kit was given the green light as it's as dark as their home kit, although I know that it has to do with remembering their fallen players from the two World Wars.

Raith have a little used white third kit like us. And like us they really only have to wear it against Falkirk. Edited by Skyline Drifter

White shirt with blue flashes across it and the FIAT sponsorship. Wasn't a fans' favourite due to it not being the traditional blue if I recall.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Queen_of_the_South/Queen_of_the_South.htm

Maybe not generally. It was and remains one of my favourite Queens tops though. I really liked it.

I'd forgotten about that.

I think I have only seen Queens in an away strip at home once, in the 70's. Don't know why they did that?

It has always been my understanding that the away team change.

Have I misremembered then? I'm starting to think I maybe have, to be honest.

I'm certain Queens wore white during my first game, against Dundee in 1976. I also could have sworn they did in odd subsequent games I attended in following years, against sides like Stranraer and Montrose, but I'm now entertaining doubts.

Maybe the rules never changed at all.

Maybe Queens just had a habit of changing, for whatever reason.

Or maybe I'm simply havering.

Genuinely not sure now.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

We had that for a couple of seasons. The same top also had the Open University as a sponsor, I think in 95/96, its second season.

Good point.

Back to a time when kits would last two seasons at least.

Going back to Cammy's point, it would be good to see a flamboyant away kit. The Partick camouflage kits were belters, particularly the pink and black number.

We had that for a couple of seasons. The same top also had the Open University as a sponsor, I think in 95/96, its second season.

The OU shirt was blue and for the two seasons 1995-96 & 1996-97. Edited by RUSTY1111

It's for this exact reason the away top should be something outrageously novelty in my opinion. The home top is the one that should hold all the tradition whereas the away top has one purpose - not to clash with anyone else.

Partick have had a few crackers in recent times, and I really like Accies going for classic international tops as well. I'm not sure if they are still doing that.

Obviously it's personal preference but I've now got more blue football tops than I can wear between Queens and Scotland so unless it's something special I am unlikely to buy one any time soon. The most recent tops I have bought have been the pink and yellow Scotland shirt. The yellow queens top with the "tyre tread", and the "AC Milan" one. All because they were something a bit different.

I have the yellow Queens away shirt with tyre tread too.

Were we in the top flight right through from the thirties until 1950 then? I know a war got in the way, but that was a bit of a spell.

Division 3 in 1923-4, 1924-5 promotion to Division 2, 1925-6 til 1932-3 promotion to Division 1, 1933-4 til 1938-9 until WW2, change of name to Division A 1946-7 until 1949-50 relegation to Division B 1950-1, then straight back up to Division A after winning title, 1951-2 til 1954-5 until change of name to Division 1 from 1955-6 til 1958-9 relegation to Division 2 1959-60 til 1961-2 promotion to Division 1, 1962-3 & 1963-4 relegation to Division 2 1964-5 til 1974-5 until the mid-70s League reconstruction with the Scottish Premier League......and so on....

Division 3 in 1923-4, 1924-5 promotion to Division 2, 1925-6 til 1932-3 promotion to Division 1, 1933-4 til 1938-9 until WW2, change of name to Division A 1946-7 until 1949-50 relegation to Division B 1950-1, then straight back up to Division A after winning title, 1951-2 til 1954-5 until change of name to Division 1 from 1955-6 til 1958-9 relegation to Division 2 1959-60 til 1961-2 promotion to Division 1, 1962-3 & 1963-4 relegation to Division 2 1964-5 til 1974-5 until the mid-70s League reconstruction with the Scottish Premier League......and so on....

Thanks.

Are you saying then that we got relegated in 1938/39, or that we were in the top flight right through from 1934 to 1950, with the war interrupting for six years?

The OU shirt was blue and for the two seasons 1995-96 & 1996-97.

I'm sure that the OU deal debuted on the white shirt with blue flashes.

The blue OU shirt also lasted two years, but during the second one had 'Think. Say no to Drugs' on it as the police won the draw.

Incidentally, in that link to the kits website it has that le coq sportif kit having white shorts. They were most certainly blue.

I'm sure that the OU deal debuted on the white shirt with blue flashes.The blue OU shirt also lasted two years, but during the second one had 'Think. Say no to Drugs' on it as the police won the draw. Incidentally, in that link to the kits website it has that le coq sportif kit having white shorts. They were most certainly blue.

I only remember the OU shirt in blue.

I remember a blue shirt with the police slogan right enough.

Could be correct with the LCS shorts.

I'll get in touch with Dave Moor that runs HFK to clarify if there are some anomalies. Perhaps other posters may clarify first.

Thanks. Are you saying then that we got relegated in 1938/39, or that we were in the top flight right through from 1934 to 1950, with the war interrupting for six years?

Yes, Queens were in the top flight from the 1933-4 season until the 1949-50 season, with only the interruption of WW2 in between. The First Division's name was changed to Division A as well. Edited by RUSTY1111

I'm sure that the OU deal debuted on the white shirt with blue flashes.The blue OU shirt also lasted two years, but during the second one had 'Think. Say no to Drugs' on it as the police won the draw. Incidentally, in that link to the kits website it has that le coq sportif kit having white shorts. They were most certainly blue.

I've just noticed that the blue OU shirt are for the 2 seasons thru 1995-97 and the police slogan blue shirt is season 1997-98. I think the police slogan kit was the one worn in the Challenge Cup Final vs. Falkirk at Fir Park. Edited by RUSTY1111

I only remember the OU shirt in blue.

I remember a blue shirt with the police slogan right enough.

Could be correct with the LCS shorts.

I'll get in touch with Dave Moor that runs HFK to clarify if there are some anomalies. Perhaps other posters may clarify first.

While you're at it, point out that the dire strip with 'Alex Wilson' on it that accompanied the dire season under Ken Eadie and George Rowe, did not have white trim.

Again though, I'd get clarification first. As we've seen, my memory may well be flawed.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Why should Morton have to wear their away strip at home to accommodate us? Clubs are required to get clearance for their kit designs from the league each year. They look at the contrasts and clashes though the final decision always rests with the referee.

If you share a division with Morton or Kilmarnock or anyone else with blue and white shirts you arent going to be allowed a blue home and white away shirt without a third alternative. Anyway as already pointed out its the white kit that is the third one not the black one.

That's one way of looking at it yes. The other view is, why should we have to provide a completely new strip just because one team won't wear their away top twice a year? The sponsor will be the same on each top so the colour is irrelevant even if it was a home game for them.

Or the other way of looking at it. If Queens knew the tops would clash at the beginning of the season why didn't they design a jersey that wouldn't clash? Surely it would save a few quid?

I agree, I reckon the away top should be a crazy design. Either that or make every away top the same colour and a colour no team has as a home top. Bright pink or some nonsense.

That's one way of looking at it yes. The other view is, why should we have to provide a completely new strip just because one team won't wear their away top twice a year? The sponsor will be the same on each top so the colour is irrelevant even if it was a home game for them.

Or the other way of looking at it. If Queens knew the tops would clash at the beginning of the season why didn't they design a jersey that wouldn't clash? Surely it would save a few quid?

Is it not more likely that having a third kit is seen as a way of making, rather than losing money?

I've just noticed that the blue OU shirt are for the 2 seasons thru 1995-97 and the police slogan blue shirt is season 1997-98. I think the police slogan kit was the one worn in the Challenge Cup Final vs. Falkirk at Fir Park.

I'm pretty sure the white shirt got two seasons, albeit with a change of sponsor for the second one.

And the bands on those 5th King's Own Scottish Borderers socks, are all wrong.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I agree, I reckon the away top should be a crazy design. Either that or make every away top the same colour and a colour no team has as a home top. Bright pink or some nonsense.

With Morton and Queens both having a blue and white home kit, they have both had yellow away kits thru the years. Therefore, easy enough for the away team to wear their yellow kit when visiting either Cappielow or Palmerston.

I'm pretty sure the white shirt got two seasons, albeit with a change of sponsor for the second one.

And the bands on those 5th King's Own Scottish Borderers socks, are all wrong.

I'm not 100% sure on that. The website does try to be as accurate as possible, although there are always tweeks here and there when errors are highlighted to them.

If you have confirmation on the 5th KOSB socks I can email Dave and let him know?