The Queen of the South thread

Last season Queens scored a total of 73 goals (57 League & 16 Cup).

Queens currently on a total of 31 goals (24 League & 7 Cup).

At this rate, we'll just about manage half as many goals as last season.

We really aren't making it up when we moan about watching this side, are we?

At this rate, we'll just about manage half as many goals as last season.We really aren't making it up when we moan about watching this side, are we?

It will be interesting to see what the final tally of goals are.

Guest Flash

Last season Queens scored a total of 73 goals (57 League & 16 Cup).

Queens currently on a total of 31 goals (24 League & 7 Cup).

Was it not 58 league 14 cup and 2 in the play-offs? Total 74.

This season we have scored 25 league goals. Although 1 was an og, it still counts. Total 32.

On the few occasions I've seen Queens this season, I've been struck by how utterly devoid of creativity and threat the side is going forward. I'd say it was, most likely, as much down to the lack of quality of the so-called creative players rather than a defensive mindset or being set up particularly defensively.

Analysing the midfield players in the squad's career stats confirms that there is a negligible goal return from that department over the course of their careers and that this season is consistent with that and not a blip. These stats are culled from Wiki so are not 100% reliable, but likely to be a useful guide at least.

Alex Harris, 71 career appearances - 1 goal

Kyle Jacobs, 172 appearances - 9 goals

Mark Millar, 163 appearances - 19 goals

Callum Tapping, 52 appearances - 0 goals

Kyle Hutton, 103 appearances - 2 goals

Jake Pickard, 25 appearances - 0 goals

Andy Murdoch, 32 appearances - 4 goals

Ryan Conroy, 194 appearances - 34 goals

The only player there with a significant career goals return from midfield is Conroy, so his second spell with Queens could be described as a disappointment in that respect. Loan player Murdoch has chipped in with one goal already so is relatively more prolific for Queens that in his career to date, but having played such a small number of games is probably not statistically significant. Mark Millar has a career return of one goal every nine or so games, so you might expect him to chip in with 3 or 4 a season at best, a modest expectation that he doesn't, as yet, look like emulating.

As for the rest, they haven't scored goals anywhere at any stage of their careers, so we can't really expect them to start scoring now.

This seems to be a problem in player recruitment rather than deployment. It looks like we have too many defensive-minded midfielders and not enough attacking midfielders/game changers. The squad does not look very well balanced. Fowler should take some of the blame for this, of course.

However, players that score goals tend to demand higher wages and attract transfer fees. I can't help but feel that Queens relatively modest player budget has hamstrung Fowler's recruitment. I was genuinely surprised when I saw just how low the players' wages bill was on the latest set of accounts. I think it's unrealistic to expect a club with such a modest wage bill to contend for promotion to the top league.

We had a good side last season, but that was mainly down to a crop of exceptional youngsters. I suspect that was a 'one off' and has increased fans' expectations to unrealistic levels. You would have expected the budget restrictions to have kicked in and adversely affected performance earlier, but we had a decent group of young players who managed to temporarily delay the expected correlation between paying low wages and poor performances. We have continued to recruit 'on the cheap' and are finally seeing the expected results.

We could replace Fowler tomorrow, but I am not at all sure that any other manager would be able to do significantly better with the budget he has at his disposal, barring another fortunate alignment of the stars and another strong group of youngsters emerging.

A very good and interesting post.

Of our midfielders Millar and Conroy have decent scoring records. Conroy is a player for me that lacks the pace for Championship football but in the right circumstances he will get a quota of goals probably from free kicks predominantly. The dilemna is do you keep Conroy onthe pitch hoping for free kicks as he doesnt do enough in open play. If he gets time he can be effective and if he drops down a league he could do a job but the pace in this league is pretty hectic and the hurly burly simply doesn suit him.

Millar is mystery to me. He would be close to a first pick in my midfield for no other reason than he is our best ball playing midfielder by a mile and he has a terrific shot into the bargain. He is also a lot fitter.To have failed to score a single goal this season is hugely disappointing and for some inexplicable reason he does not boss games the way he should. Has there been a fallout as he wasnt even on the bench yesterday? We should be building a team round him but to be fair he has to do a lot more to justify his inclusion. I would still have in my team when I look at the alternatives.

To be absolutely fair to James Fowler he has often picked an attacking line up on paper but the players themselves need to take a lot of responsibility. Holding midfielders are the curse of the modern game as they offer next to nothing in attack and do not guarantee defensive stability either.We have too many who fit the "holding"profile and who dont naturally create anything meaningful.

So he is. Bizarrely the stats I was looking at have his goal at Dumbarton in the Scottish Cup allocated to Mark Millar. Will amend.
Do you still think Queens will finish in the top 4.

I can,t believe you ever thought that Queens were good enough this season.

Way back before Xmas you could see that a lot of work had to be done in the Jan window to get Queens anywhere near the top 4.

After the window when only Murdoch came in you could see Queens were simply not good enough.

We have to many average players and a manager who plays not to lose rather that to win.

Now just get this season done and start again .

Wonder if Fowler deserves another chance time will tell.

Was it not 58 league 14 cup and 2 in the play-offs? Total 74.

This season we have scored 25 league goals. Although 1 was an og, it still counts. Total 32.

Last season's totals given already include all league matches, cup ties and the play-off games.

I did not include the own goal scored by Gasparotto of Morton at Palmerston.

I'm also glad I don't count all the own goals scored by Queens players this season, as the figure is rising. I can think of at least 3; Higgins, Tapping and Thomson.

You missed Dowie at Falkirk. When did Thomson get an OG?

How did I forget that one from not long ago. Think that was the best one of the four, just ahead of the Higgins' one. Edited by RUSTY1111

Guest Flash

So, we have scored a total of 6 goals against Falkirk, Raith and St. Mirren and have scored 3 goals for Falkirk, Raith and St. Mirren.

Edited by Flash

Guest Flash

Now that the 3rd quarter is over, quick summary of the points total.

We have been pretty consistent - first quarter 11, second 11, third 12.

If we get 11 or 12 in the final quarter, then Raith only need 5 more points to finish above us.

Even if we match our highest total from last season, when we got 16 in the final quarter, that is unlikely to be enough, unless Raith get less than 9 from their remaining 8 games. Might be looking at having to win 6 out of the last 9, which is pretty unlikely given that we have won 6 games since Halloween.

Now that the 3rd quarter is over, quick summary of the points total.

We have been pretty consistent - first quarter 11, second 11, third 12.

If we get 11 or 12 in the final quarter, then Raith only need 5 more points to finish above us.

Even if we match our highest total from last season, when we got 16 in the final quarter, that is unlikely to be enough, unless Raith get less than 9 from their remaining 8 games. Might be looking at having to win 6 out of the last 9, which is pretty unlikely given that we have won 6 games since Halloween.

Interesting to see the quarterly breakdown. Do you know the corresponding points tally in the first 3 quarters last season?

Guest Flash

Interesting to see the quarterly breakdown. Do you know the corresponding points tally in the first 3 quarters last season?

First 14 second 15 third 15.

First 14 second 15 third 15.

Considering the players you guys lost over the summer, this season doesn't read too badly when compared to last season I'd have thought?

Edited by Kyle

Guest Flash

Considering the players you guys lost over the summer, this season doesn't read too badly when compared to last season I'd have thought?

Probably depends on how you look at it and where we end up. We are 1 point better off than Raith were at the same stage last season and I think their manager was sacked.

Also depends on how much account is taken of the style of play, which has been pretty awful for the most part. And results in the cups have been poor.

Think there are a lot of things that have to be considered but losing players in the summer is definitely one of them.