🔴 🔵 Caley (The) vs Morton (Greenock) 🔵 🐀

• Stephen Malkmus changed the title to 🔴 🔵 Caley (The) vs Morton (Greenock) 🔵 🐀
7 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Has Billy Dodds got over having tae dae a shite with the lights out yet or is he still a seething mess?

If Morton fans were sending their sons and daughters out to play a game of football do you think it would be acceptable to them if their children had to get changed in squalor? I don't think it would. Imagine how it must feel, then, for Mrs. Doran or Old Man Deas to see their sons in such a sorry situation.

Hopefully Billy Dodds is still full of righteous anger about that incident and pins it to the dressing room wall, so to speak.

Kabia and Muirhead have contributed very little to date so I'd bench them. I know Robbie missed much of pre season and has probably be thrown in too early due to lack of numbers but he has played the full 90 in the 1st 4 league games so I'd expect more from him by now.

King has a great engine and has put some cracking balls into the box so would put him on the left with Garrity on the right either side of Jai. Potential is there with Garrity, just needs a run i think.

Of course that might change should we sign a striker this week. 

Thought the middle 3 of Blues, Gillespie and Crawford worked well so don't expect that to change.

Strapp back in and the rest of the team picks itself. 

I'd take a draw and then beat Ayr the following week. A win to get it right up wee Billy would be brilliant though.

1-1

I honestly don't know much about Morton but having armchair fan'd it on Friday we were appallingly bad.

Defensively, we were poor all the way across the back four.  Hyde was dealt a bad hand - he isn't really a fullback and was up against an excellent player in Tiffoney and was given a real roasting.  Carson didn't do much better when he came on but if he's fit he needs to return.  Deas is our most reliable player and he made a giant balls up for the second goal, just one that you have to move on from.  Delaney has shown a bit of promise as a centre half but IIRC his favoured position was left back and if Devine is fit I think he needs to come back in.  Harper might retain his spot by default but, free kicks aside, I don't see much from him.

The midfield was really poor at Firhill.  Allardice, usually one of our most influential players, just looked slow and ponderous.  He didn't impose himself at all and it's particularly disappointing as he's someone we need to be a leader.  MacGregor was also poor, probably worse than Allardice - he was totally anonymous.  I think he can get lost a bit playing in the '2' he needs to impose himself more, play with more energy both pressing and making himself available for passes.  Obviously that's easy for me to say but he was just lost on Friday night.  The attacking midfielders were also completely missing, doubtless because we couldn't build anything due to the shaky defence and anonymous midfield - Samuels got involved but mainly tracking back and working, Mckay and Doran were ineffectual.

I can't see us changing the shape too much, I think we will just emphasise concentration and workrate, both of which were lacking on Friday.

2 hours ago, MORleyTON said:

Booked a solo-trip back in May and the football gods have kindly drawn us this weekend when I'm up.

Any recommendations for pubs before/after the game?

A decent chippy wouldn't go amiss too.

You'll normally find a few folk in places like Platfrom 8 and Auctioneers. Standard Greene King type places. There is the Black Isle Brewery if you like your craft stuff and they do good pizza as well apparently. A Spoons is nearby if you prefer. The Innes is usually popular with home and away fans but a little out of the town centre. Finally, worth mentioning The Caley Club on the other side of the river. Cheap and cheerful but for a few pounds you'll get a bus to / from the game and away fans are always welcome.

For fish and chips Lorimers is on the way to / from the stadium if you walk along the A82 but it's only okay. MacLeods in Merkinch is the best fish and chips I've had in Inverness but you're going a little out of your way there but as you're up for the weekend that shouldn't matter too much.

What to do with King is a dilemma. He was terrific against Dundee so you could make a reasonable argument for leaving him at left back, but while it's good that no player can be guaranteed a start Strapp is the best player at the club and leaving him out long term surely isn't happening.

After being the best player on the park on Saturday there's no way King should be dropped, so the alternatives if he's not at left back would be moving him into central midfield in place of Blues or moving him up the wing in place of Kabia. Kabia is the player whose performances most merit being dropped, but King's never played as a winger before and you don't want to piss about a 17 year old too much playing him in a variety of different positions as he tries to establish himself in the team. I could see Strapp in with King moved to midfield in place of Blues then Garrity for Kabia, with the hope that Muirhead just needs more games to get up to fitness.

Alternatively, we might see the much anticipated signing of a centre forward by Saturday.