World's loneliest man dies

If you read about the Sentilenese you quickly realise they come across as a bunch of wankers.

It's a bit of a moral quandary, the hunter gatherer lifestyle is far more violent and their infant mortality will suffer from lack of access to healthcare. They didn't chose to be where they are, and there's plenty of reason to believe some of them will do far better in modern society (this also applies to fringe communities around the world e.g. Amish too).

Theoretically, they could be guilty of murder despite them not having any concept of law.

But equally, on the whole tribes who do make the transition tend to fare horribly, very much including the Brazilian tribes featured in the article.

Probably no good resolution, leaving them be until their population numbers become critical is the best of a number of bad options.

There will be middle aged / older people in Australia who grew up in hunter gatherer tribes and now live in an advanced economy. Wonder how many think it was worth it.

43 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

If you read about the Sentilenese you quickly realise they come across as a bunch of wankers.

It's a bit of a moral quandary, the hunter gatherer lifestyle is far more violent and their infant mortality will suffer from lack of access to healthcare. They didn't chose to be where they are, and there's plenty of reason to believe some of them will do far better in modern society (this also applies to fringe communities around the world e.g. Amish too).

Theoretically, they could be guilty of murder despite them not having any concept of law.

But equally, on the whole tribes who do make the transition tend to fare horribly, very much including the Brazilian tribes featured in the article.

Probably no good resolution, leaving them be until their population numbers become critical is the best of a number of bad options.

There will be middle aged / older people in Australia who grew up in hunter gatherer tribes and now live in an advanced economy. Wonder how many think it was worth it.

Maybe you'll have to wait until your tribe starts dying out before making up your mind.

18 hours ago, Satoshi said:

In real life though I very much do live in a bubble with my friend group - pretty much all of whom do have a cosmopolitan, international perspective.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Maybe you'll have to wait until your tribe starts dying out before making up your mind.

Yep, don't disagree with either of that.

It's a moral quandary with no easy answers but one thing that (surely) everyone can agree upon is that they shouldn't be allowed to die out.

Not totally sure how the second statement links to it but it is what it is, I'm subject to my biases and blindspots like anyone else.

I'm actually quite keen on a holiday to the Andaman Islands (the ones you are allowed to visit), they look lovely and not too touristy yet.

The tribe living there will be ethnically quite similar to the original inhabitants of South / South East Asia who were mostly driven out by migration from Southern China (the current inhabitants of South East Asia). For various reasons New Guinea was where this expansion stopped (but Madagascar was colonised from Borneo rather than Africa).

8 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Dragging communities from pre-industrial or in some cases hunter-gatherer lifestyles in the space of a generation or two never seems to end well...a combination of loss of cultural identity and future shock means that a lot of the people involved seem to descend into a spiral of hopelessness and addiction issues.

The problems the likes of the Australian aboriginals and many Native Americans face is fairly well-known, but it seems to be almost universal...a friend of mine travels all over the place as an engineer and mentioned that he'd also encountered similar in places as far apart as Greenland and PNG, the latter of which got his vote for the biggest hellhole he'd ever visited...it SHOULD be paradise, but the problems the indigenous locals face make it the complete opposite.

PNG had a relatively advanced economy - far moreso than Australia, hence why the colonisation was only temporary. Although this only applies to certain parts of it, it was why the south China expansion never conquered them but did to nearby Indonesia.

But you're right, people that make this move are effectively time travelling, they would fair as well as any of us would going a few thousand years into the future - i.e. we'd be fucked.

Edited by Satoshi