Stenhousemuir -vs- Stirling Albion (Saturday 15 October 2022)

4 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

Thought the score flattered us today

I very much agree

4 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

The celebration at the 3rd goal was the best I've experienced in many, many years. Everyone was going tonto, glorious. 

They looked very fun from the stand, excellent away support today 

5 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

Of

The

League.......

oh yes

There wasn't much in the game but ultimately we again lose/drop points in the closing stages of a game when you need to be brave and stand up. We are far too soft and there is no chance we can win the league conceding the amount of goals we do.

Stirling were no great shakes themselves but they have a manager who knows how to get the job done in this league. They are a team of big physical units and the best front pairing in the league and I make them clear favourites for the title despite it still being relatively tight at the top. They won't lose many goals and, unlike Dumbarton, they will score a barrow load.

Back to the drawing board for us. It would be nice if someone can clarify the Liam Brown situation as we badly need some legs and ability in midfield to partner Nat that we currently don't have.

Best defence in the league, the numbers don't lie.

This league is so poor that it doesn't have to be exceptional but certainly it's the most cohesive unit for this league until now.

Key for Stirling will be keeping Thommo and Carrick fit as I'd imagine there is a big drop off in quality from there. 

Not much in the game really today and a draw would have probably been a fairer result.  We really missed Jack Leitch as he's the one that links the midfield and the front two.  Instead we played with two holding midfielders in Banner and Clark which starved Thomson and Carrick of the kind of service they enjoyed last week.  When Clark went off and Kai Fotheringham moved inside we looked much more like the team that's been banging in the goals.  I was surprised and delighted that Stenny didn't respond by trying to close down that area and ultimately that cost them.  Poor decision from the manager there I thought.

We played ok mostly before that although we had Blair Currie to thank for a couple of good saves.  Kept us in the game at a time when Stenny were in the ascendancy.  

Thought Carrick and Thomson were excellent again despite the relative lack of service and the defence is looking a lot more dependable now that the 'if in doubt put it in the stand' message appears to have got through to the players.  Stenny look like a side with some really good quality players but a system that doesn't get the best out of them.  Forbes looked really classy in the first half - as did Yates throughout - but faded once Clark and banner started bossing the midfield.  He didn't look like he had much of an appetite for the hard graft stuff and with wedderburn not being the most mobile there was a bit of a soft centre there.  But the warriors should make the play offs easily enough with that squad. 

A meh performance but a great attitude saw us through.  Excellent. 

11 hours ago, Neilly said:

It would be nice if someone can clarify the Liam Brown situation as we badly need some legs and ability in midfield to partner Nat that we currently don't have.

We get a weekly set of training photos on a Thursday/Friday on QP social media and Liam is certainly there in this week’s, joining in the drills etc so if it is in injury that would suggest he isn’t far away

11 hours ago, StewartyMac said:

I'd love to believe that, but Pabs McLean aside, our defence is still honking.  Good thing is, we're scoring loads of goals, so it's not an issue right now. 

Yep , thank god for Pabs , the other 3 haven’t put a tackle in, won an aerial ball, blocked any shots or anything positive all season so far. Pabs has actually done everything himself. 

I thought we just about deserved that yesterday. For about half an hour in the first half Stenny were completely on top but I never really felt threatened even with their dominance. The only player who I thought had our number was O’Rielly who had an excellent game. In the second half our centre half’s seemed desperate to score an own goal but otherwise again I never felt like stenny were that threatening. Once we realised in the second half that in order to stop Wedderburn dictate the midfield we just had to run at him a bit faster, we were much better.

We controlled most of the second half. Particularly when Fortheringham was moved into the centre. Also thought Pabs, Geach and Robert Thompson were superb. I might be eating my words come the end of the season but that win felt significant and I think the players recognised that too. The past few weeks we have won comfortably, that wasn’t comfortable yesterday but we still managed to win. I’m no saying yet that we’ll win the league but we’ll be right up there I think.

Shout out to the Albion young team as well. Like all wee boys they can be fannies at times, but they’ve brought an atmosphere with them that I don’t think I’ve ever seen at the Albion. This season so far has been one of my favourites in my 20 years supporting the binos, hopefully the good times continue! 

Really cannot see us going any further with Swift in charge.

We have been caught out on numerous occasions trying to play the ball out from the back. There is a time for playing out and a time for giving it a good hoof.  i think Swift has got it ingrained into the players that we must play it out.  Invariably it led to us losing the first goal yesterday.

Again we did not start to perform until about 30 minutes into the game. By that time we were chasing the game.

Brennan is a calamity. yesterday there were several occasions when Yule was on the halfway line with a couple of defenders, a quick put out and he may well have beaten them for pace and it could have led to something but no Brennan must bugger about with the ball until the opposition are all back in position.

Walker is a useless at this level and a liability and how he can off the park after a defeat grinning is shocking.  Forbes, everyone apart from the management team have the same opinion of him. Again yesterday there were cries to get him off and make a change but typically they were ignored.

Swift seldom knows how to change a game by using his subs proactively. He always is reactive, either when we have lost a goal or are behind with a few minutes to go.

We cannot defend to save ourselves but we get the same pish from Swift every week "It is disappointing after the amount of work they have put in in training". What ever they are trying is training is either not working or the players are completely ignoring it.

What is the secrecy with Liam Brown - all it takes is a simple statement to let us know if he is injured or not.

Had high hopes for this season but they are quickly disappearing.

22 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

We get a weekly set of training photos on a Thursday/Friday on QP social media and Liam is certainly there in this week’s, joining in the drills etc so if it is in injury that would suggest he isn’t far away

Is he full time with you?  If not I would have expected him, to be training with Stenhousemuir.  The amount of silence is deafening.