Dumbarton vs Stranraer

Outcome  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, rockson said:

It happened at Love Street on Christmas Day 1971. One of my best Sons memories. Big Roy McCormack thumped one from way out near the touchline about fifteen yards into St Mirren's half and it soared over the keeper, hit the stanchion and bounced out to beyond the penalty spot. The ref wasn't going to give it but the linesman did - apparently, I later learned, because (as Big Roy tells it) St Mirren's left back sportingly said it had gone in.

That was the middle one of three Big Roy belters in a row. He'd scored a screamer against Alloa at Boghead the game before and repeated that at Clydebank in the New Year's Day game. Happy days.

That remains one of the best Sons goals I've ever seen.  The Big Man told me exactly the same as yourself, and I'm sure the Saints left-back was Iain Munro, with Danny Stevenson the keeper.  I always respected Iain Munro for such a sporting act.

I recall the same iain Munro in a very different guise. I was playing for the Academy in the quarter final of the Scottish Cup at under-15 level. We were drawn against Uddingston Grammar at the Academy playing fields. We had a really good team that year and were pretty hopeful of reaching the semis. However one Iain (Minnie?) Munro was the centre forward for Uddingston. We went down 3-0 with Iain scoring two of the goals. Hardly surprising he was playing senior a few years on.

10 hours ago, southernboy said:

I recall the same iain Munro in a very different guise. I was playing for the Academy in the quarter final of the Scottish Cup at under-15 level. We were drawn against Uddingston Grammar at the Academy playing fields. We had a really good team that year and were pretty hopeful of reaching the semis. However one Iain (Minnie?) Munro was the centre forward for Uddingston. We went down 3-0 with Iain scoring two of the goals. Hardly surprising he was playing senior a few years on.

What year are we talking about here ?

It would be the Spring of 1966 by my reckoning. On checking Iain was born in the same month as me ((August 1951) so that would make us both still 14 at the time. Although, as I say , we had a decent side, the only one who went on to play senior football was Eddie Bashford who had a very brief spell with Hamilton Accies. I remember seeing him play once against us at Boghead.

14 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

That remains one of the best Sons goals I've ever seen.  The Big Man told me exactly the same as yourself, and I'm sure the Saints left-back was Iain Munro, with Danny Stevenson the keeper.  I always respected Iain Munro for such a sporting act.

Marking Roy that day was a young Gordon McQueen, the future Scottish internationalist. St Mirren scored a late equaliser courtesy of Willie Borland, who signed for the Sons a couple of years later.

1 hour ago, southernboy said:

It would be the Spring of 1966 by my reckoning. On checking Iain was born in the same month as me ((August 1951) so that would make us both still 14 at the time. Although, as I say , we had a decent side, the only one who went on to play senior football was Eddie Bashford who had a very brief spell with Hamilton Accies. I remember seeing him play once against us at Boghead.

Eddie's younger sister Margaret was in my class at the Academy.  And you are correct; Eddie, flowing hair and beard played in a losing Accies side at Boghead.

A good mate of mine played for the school team a couple of years earlier when Dumfries Academy won on the playing fields in the Scottish Cup 1/4 Final.  I won't name him, because he was marking Lexie Law who ran riot, before doing the same for QoS in the senior ranks.