SAS : Rogue Heroes

saint dave

Based on Ben MacIntyre's book about the founding of the SAS.

Made by Stephen Knight of Peaky Blinders. 

First couple of episodes deal with David Stirling trying to get a new unit authorized and staffed , bit slow but gets better late episode 2 onwards. The music is an odd fit , a lot of punk anthems.

I liked the book and the series is quite good in a Boys Own type adventure. 

26 minutes ago, saint dave said:

First couple of episodes deal with David Stirling trying to get a new unit authorized and staffed , bit slow but gets better late episode 2 onwards. The music is an odd fit , a lot of punk anthems.

I liked the book and the series is quite good in a Boys Own type adventure. 

I watched the first episode on Beeb 1 on Sunday. Really enjoyed it. I'm away to start a binge on the iPlayer.

On 02/11/2022 at 19:19, saint dave said:

( Stooges ) and " Egyptian Reggae "

9 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
1 hour ago, Ewan8472 said:
The whole series was OTT

I've read (and enjoyed) the book but didn't realise this was based on the book. When I saw the trailer it reminded me of the book but I thought it looked dreadful and, as you say, OTT. Decent reviews on here though so I might give it a go.

It's slightly OTT and they do play hard and fast with the truth... but it's entertaining and amusing. 

11 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
2 hours ago, Ewan8472 said:
The whole series was OTT

I've read (and enjoyed) the book but didn't realise this was based on the book. When I saw the trailer it reminded me of the book but I thought it looked dreadful and, as you say, OTT. Decent reviews on here though so I might give it a go.

Mr Kersey sums it up fairly well

Considering the Peaky Blinders way of dealing with history, you know they would take some liberties and have interesting music choices. Enjoyed it overall. I wonder if they'll try and do a second season?

Looking around on iPlayer found that there is a 3 part doc done back in 2017. Presented by Ben MacIntyre if you don't have the time to read the book. Includes some of the archival footage that was dotted through the show, as well as later in life interviews that were carried out previously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08f00rf

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Considering the Peaky Blinders way of dealing with history, you know they would take some liberties and have interesting music choices. Enjoyed it overall. I wonder if they'll try and do a second season?

Looking around on iPlayer found that there is a 3 part doc done back in 2017. Presented by Ben MacIntyre if you don't have the time to read the book. Includes some of the archival footage that was dotted through the show, as well as later in life interviews that were carried out previously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08f00rf

Would definitely think a 2nd series would be on the cards. The operations they participated in after the finish of the first series were some of the most important of the regiments history , especially in France. 

On 05/11/2022 at 21:29, saint dave said:

Would definitely think a 2nd series would be on the cards. The operations they participated in after the finish of the first series were some of the most important of the regiments history , especially in France. 

Going for three.  Start shooting in Croatia next year.

Hopefully MacIntyre and the BBC get to the part where Stirling forms a crypto fascist organisation to undermine trade unions.

I have a feeling they will bow out before having to deal with Malaysia, Kenya, Yemen, Cyprus or Ulster.

Edited by Detournement