New Zealand to ban smoking

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Oh, right.

I sometimes post threads with wacky titles, leave them up for a few minutes, then take then down.

What about a video of Bin Laden alive and well in New Zealand smoking a cigarette and being asked his opinion on this new law.

Just an idea.

Kill two birds with one stone sort f thing.

11 hours ago, Fullerene said:

What about a video of Bin Laden alive and well in New Zealand smoking a cigarette and being asked his opinion on this new law.

Just an idea.

Kill two birds with one stone sort f thing.

Bin Laden was mad for the vapes tbf.

Big fan of blueberry cheesecake apparently.

Smoking is one of the few pleasures that the citizens of the Most Boring Country on Earth have. Not only are the NZ government denying younger generations one of the few joys available to them, they're also denying them the sweet release of an early death.

I would amount this legislation to a humanitarian crisis.

This sounds exactly like something the Scottish Government would do.  Fully expect some sort of enquiry to be launched about implementing it in Scotland.

As to whether it will be a good thing, seems difficult to enforce and easy to circumvent.  

Apparently around 10% of people are smokers, with about half that using vapes.  My main contribution is that all the staff in vape shops look the same - big fat guys with beards who blow out massive plumes of funny smelling smoke from nonsensical looking contraptions. 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Bin Laden was mad for the vapes tbf.

Big fan of blueberry cheesecake apparently.

Yeah.  If you like blueberry cheesecake then America is the place to go.  Unfortunately for him, he is regarded as persona non grata over there so I don't see it happening.

Maybe he should have thought of that before he planned 9/11.

More fool him.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

It would be something we should consider, but unfortunately we share a border with one of the most backward thinking countries on the planet. 

Folk would just nip over and stockpile their stupid cigarettes. 

A typically stupid attempt at being the most right-on person in a room from yourself. 

We should ban cigarettes but the pesky English would only undermine us as usual! 🤡

2 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Smoking is one of the few pleasures that the citizens of the Most Boring Country on Earth have. Not only are the NZ government denying younger generations one of the few joys available to them, they're also denying them the sweet release of an early death.

I would amount this legislation to a humanitarian crisis.

Maori males have life expectancy 8 years shorter than white males in New Zealand.

I'm sure the WEF manager there will maintain the gap, snout or no snout.

4 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

It would be something we should consider, but unfortunately we share a border with one of the most backward thinking countries on the planet. 

Folk would just nip over and stockpile their stupid cigarettes. 

You may have got that the wrong way round.

image.thumb.png.2cae3e6019315495e6e2616973ccf726.png

https://ash.org.uk/resources/view/smoking-statistics

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

You may have got that the wrong way round.

image.thumb.png.2cae3e6019315495e6e2616973ccf726.png

https://ash.org.uk/resources/view/smoking-statistics

It wasn't the percentage of smokers I was meaning, it was more the contrast between Westminster and Holyrood's willingness to embrace forward thinking legislation. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe