Airdrie V Alloa - The A Teams

It is obviously all about opinions and I probably sit somewhere in the middle although possibly slightly closer to the go than stay camp.

If Brian Rice was a really good manager he wouldn't need a year to get his formation right and then continue to persist with playing  Cawley and Taggart, probably our best two players out of position week after week, that is just complete incompetence. 

Also his handling of Offord was poor, there is obviously a player there and with more game time he might have wanted to stay. It has left us with a real lack of pace up front and strikers that are too similar.

We have had worse managers but a bit like Ferguson he has inherited a decent squad and not taken it forward, which is frustrating.

I have no doubt he will be here at least to the end of the season as that is the way we do things and at least Clyde and Peterhead's awful season means there is no chance he will do a Maitland.

Sure we will win on Saturday but it is the games after that which he should be judged on, and we need to show more fight than against Airdrie.

Edited by Magic Hat

I don't think anybody seriously thinks Rice is in danger of losing his job nor should he be. We won't go down and we're in with a chance still of going up. He'll be here till the summer at least and if he wants to stay on I'm sure he'll be with us next season too. 

My frustration is we could be a really good team. There are good players there but we never seem to have a run of key men playing in their best positions in a settled shape. Rice said a few weeks ago that he was aware Taggart has been playing out of position and that his hand was forced, yet he has had CBs on the bench all season. He has since made a signing (Strachan) which has seen another player playing out of position in defence. He made a big call in retaining Church (and not signing another LB in summer) then dropped him (arguably harshly) a couple of times early in the campaign with players out of position in his place, then when Church does get a run and does well - particularly getting forward - he is moved to CB. If he was so set on Taggart at CB why didn't he sign a RB. Why did he work so hard to get Offord then not give him a run. I could go on. Hard to understand these decisions but it's almost a year now since he came in and it has been a recurring feature. Suspect it will continue. Just frustrating as he clearly has a lot of assets as a manager too. 

Edited by Waspie